Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's door won't close... have to wait 2 weeks for service!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My driver's door (2024Model S) won't close normally. When I close it, it pops back open an inch or two and sometimes the window goes down about an inch (see video: ). To really close it, I have to hold it shut for a few seconds.

My car is 3 months old. The soonest service available is July 9, or two weeks from now. This seems like pretty bad service to me.

Anyone know how to fix the issue or speed up the service?

Reactions: TheLastDon
My driver's door (2024Model S) won't close normally. When I close it, it pops back open an inch or two and sometimes the window goes down about an inch (see video: ). To really close it, I have to hold it shut for a few seconds.

My car is 3 months old. The soonest service available is July 9, or two weeks from now. This seems like pretty bad service to me.

You can speed up if your car is not drivable.

You can't legally drive with your driver door open so this is classified as disabled.

Please take your car to the Service Center.

You can't legally drive with your driver door open so this is classified as disabled.

Well, the car is sort of drivable. I have to keep closing the for and eventually it closes.

Well, the car is sort of drivable. I have to keep closing the for and eventually it closes. The service center is 90 minutes away. :-(

I didn't know this is possible. Would I do that from within the app, or from the car dashboard screen?

From your car:

I didn't know this is possible. Would I do that from within the app, or from the car dashboard screen?
You can do it from the dashboard screen following the procedure in the previous post. Whether or not you can calibrate the door handle depends on which version of door handle you have, so you may or may not see an option for it when you get into service mode.

That's the only thing that I hate about Tesla. Service is terrible cause the greedy Elon decided to let go many employees from service departments. Last time I called service they said they lost half of their staff.

Getting a service appointment in my area takes a month to about 6 weeks. Meanwhile my BMW and Benz can find an appointment within 3 days, and they are usually more busy with cars! If it continues like that for the next couple years, when am ready to upgrade I wouldn't mind looking at the EQS by then. They even stopped doing home service appointments in my area!

Reactions: Art VandeIay

This is exactly what duct tape is for.

Get in the car, press the lock button on the screen, then close the door
This should prevent the door from popping out and make the car drivable until it is fixed
Maybe timing is critical here, but if I try to lock my car with a door or hatch open, it will not lock and the handles do not retract.
I was however able to close the door and hit lock on my key fob immediately, which did cause the handles to retract before it opened a door.

Maybe timing is critical here, but if I try to lock my car with a door or hatch open, it will not lock and the handles do not retract.
I was however able to close the door and hit lock on my key fob immediately, which did cause the handles to retract before it opened a door.

Interesting, maybe the behavior has changed with Palladium?

I had a door handle sensor issue with my 2018 Model S where it immediately popped back open and I was able to lock it while the door was still open. Doing that prevented it until service was able to replace the handle.

The "lock" on Tesla is a software feature where it just won't react to a request to open the door from the outside handle. Odd that behavior would have changed.

I just tested it in my car (2022), and pressing the lock button on the screen locked it and retracted the handles, even with the door still swung open.

Why is your car popping the door back open? I didn't notice at first that you weren't the OP.

Last edited:
Why is your car popping the door back open? I didn't notice at first that you weren't the OP.
As I recall, it was intermittent. My driver's door handle eventually completely failed, probably the module, tripping the left control fuse on it's way out. I replaced it with the only thing Tesla said they sell, the V3 handle. I had to make a lot of modifications to make it fit - Lower mounting holes didn't line up, had to cut a bunch of the plastic base to get the handle to sit flush against the outer door panel... Anyway I am just grateful that I could use the Service Mode to calibrate the new handle myself.

I just tested it in my car (2022), and pressing the lock button on the screen locked it and retracted the handles, even with the door still swung open.
If I press lock with a door open, I get a triple-ding with triple parking light flash. Handles remain presented.

Edit: I just went out to the car and tried it from the touch screen, and the handles did retract with the door open. So only the key fob bahaves the way I described.

Last edited: