Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Faster???

How Much Faster do You Drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I'll admit it, I have become a bit bored with reading about problems/resolutions/fatalities lately, and still enjoy hearing a new owners thrill of delivery, but........

So, before my Tesla I normally drove an ICE Toyota Land Cruiser, and sometimes still do. Big, heavy, and pretty quiet, but not quick or fast.

On a daily basis I seemed to set cruise control at 72-78MPH, and might bump to 85 when passing.

Now, with the Tesla I seem to set cruise at 78-86mph and often find myself at just under a 100mph without trying while passing. In Southern California, it is not crazy fast (I don't think). To be very clear, I am not going those speeds weaving in and out from the left to the right, but only with reasonably clear traffic with very minimal lane changes. What say the rest of you?

Moving from whatever to the Tesla, how did your highway speeds change, if at all? I know in the Northeast the police ticket at even 5 or 6 over (so might be a mute point), but out here, I am passed by highway patrol while going 9-12MPH over without a glance, at least not yet.

i prefer to say I just accelerate to the posted speed limit in a much faster method, keeping a keen eye on my surroundings just in case, but safe acceleration in a manner the car is capable of doing handily is much quicker than many other vehicles. You get used to blowing them away off the line, but keeping a level head and speed at the limit. It never gets old, and the grin goes on and on.

I cruise more slowly now ... speed limit here is 70 MPH on highways, and generally police don't pull people over under 80 MPH, plus the car speedo is a couple of MPH optimistic (MS registers 2MPH low, other cars have been 3-4 MPH low [compared to SatNav])

In ICE I would usually set cruise at 80 MPH, which was probably 77 MPH ground-speed. If I was in a hurry I might drive at 90 where the roads were clear. But a few years ago when I became more Eco conscious I changed to reduced speed and increased MPG; I still hypermile whenever conditions allow, but my cruise speed has increased back to where it was before ... personal-time has either reasserted its importance, or maybe its just that I never leave on time?!!

As a new MS owner I'm still conscious of range, and I tend to cruise at 75 MPH as being the trade off between distance and recharge time. But that said, here in UK, the number of trips I will make that exceed 200 miles / day is very rare. So perhaps my cruise speed will climb back up again after the novelty / anxiety wears off ...

AP / TACC on the MS performs far more smoothly that my ICE did, so I'm more comfortable to engage that and leave it be ... whereas previously I was always having to fiddle with it - the TACC on the ICE would hair up behind a vehicle and then jump on the brakes - alarming for my passengers and far from Eco ...

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
I find that I cruise a bit slower on my daily commute because Auto Pilot is just so relaxing. From traffic lights that's a whole different story but I rarely use the full Ludicrous because it gives me a headache. What I do enjoy is a gentle take-off followed by increasing acceleration as I pick up speed. It is so different from the ICE experience (in which it would be impossible) and my passengers love it.

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
I don't cruise faster (still generally 6 to 8 over) but I accelerate to cruising speed much faster. I roll on power when the light turns green in order not to look like I'm drag racing, but if I'm accelerating to (for example) 57 I do have my P85DL floored for about a second before I ease up. With practice I can now feather the throttle to the target speed without overshooting, so I don't go into regen and flash the brake lights. Driving this way feels very normal to me now, but probably looks more conspicuous to other drivers than I would like.

I find that I cruise a bit slower on my daily commute because Auto Pilot is just so relaxing. From traffic lights that's a whole different story but I rarely use the full Ludicrous because it gives me a headache. What I do enjoy is a gentle take-off followed by increasing acceleration as I pick up speed. It is so different from the ICE experience (in which it would be impossible) and my passengers love it.
That Ludicrous made my head spin :) S on order but I am kinda a fast driver with a Yukon. But having said that I may slow down a bit in the S and let AP take over.

My driving style has changed more than my max speed. I find myself doing full throttle launches at nearly every stop if I'm first in line. I've had high performance ICE cars but would rarely punch it because the loud exhaust seemed annoying and I felt I was doing damage to the engine.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
My driving style has changed more than my max speed. I find myself doing full throttle launches at nearly every stop if I'm first in line. I've had high performance ICE cars but would rarely punch it because the loud exhaust seemed annoying and I felt I was doing damage to the engine.
You see that's why I wouldn't normally floor it. Beating on an ICE car can lead to many repairs. I am curious about the EV motors. There must be some "damage" for lack of a better word to the motors with too many "punches"

This answer depends on many variables:
1. State of charge.... Do I have enough in the battery to afford driving faster?
2. Where I am..... Is this location known for heavy speed enforcement?
3. Traffic.... Will the amount of traffic allow me to safely exceed the posted limit?
4. Who is with me..... What is the limit of my passengers to exceed? Are Children in the car?
5. Is my radar detector going off? .... Only an idiot would speed with this telling you not to!! ;)