Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Log: Austin -> Baton Rouge road trip; Harvey edition.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made it just fine to baton rouge. The Alexandria spot was just me and an ICE. Turns out that ICE was a unmarked police officer who gladly wrote me $700+ in tickets after calling him an asshole. I'm in the process of getting a lawyer so won't go into much detail. If any lawyers in that area that visit here, let me know.

I assume that this was a funny statement?
But I'm not sure?

I made it just fine to baton rouge. The Alexandria spot was just me and an ICE. Turns out that ICE was a unmarked police officer who gladly wrote me $700+ in tickets after calling him an asshole. I'm in the process of getting a lawyer so won't go into much detail. If any lawyers in that area that visit here, let me know.
I assume this is tongue in cheek or there's a lot more to the story.

If you had his car towed (as per the sign that clearly states you will be towed), I can see the dilemma. By the way, if you did have it towed, kudos!

Seriously, though, there's really no need to create an image of Tesla drivers as hostile. I think we'd (mostly) rather be thought of as kind and forgiving to a$$holes.
In the same vein, as a human in current society, it's important that public servants are reminded that they aren't above the law and that there should be a level of accountability when they step over the line. It must be done respectfully though.

It's a difficult balance.

Roger, there is a little more to that story than it sounds... trust me, I didn't tarnish our reputation (witnesses and such agreed what I did was exactly what they would have done and said what the cop did maybe be in the wrong). Calling someone a name is childish, but in the heat of the moment and there was instigation on his side before that. Even those "he started it," is a childish excuse, I don't regret it.

Yeah Doc -- The Baton Rouge SC was only me when showing 4/8 slots in use. Its far from the malls in the parking lot, so unless the mall is packed, you should be safe. Great amount of stores, so if it helps topping up to save time later, go ahead and do some browsing. Time will fly. I think (not 100%) that they only show spts available if they reserved for tesla only; they show spots that ICE vehicles are allowed to park in as full (I think)

I assume this is tongue in cheek or there's a lot more to the story.

If you had his car towed (as per the sign that clearly states you will be towed), I can see the dilemma. By the way, if you did have it towed, kudos!

The towing company said they would get back to me after they tow it or not, but they haven't called me back yet. Yes, there is a lot more to the story, but I don't want to get into it until the case is taken care of in court. After the case is settled, I'll do a write-up in a separate post. I'll be making the long detour through Alexandria next Tuesday as I am filing a formal complaint and they need to have a signature, unless the lawyer advises me otherwise.

Those bugs are impressive! That is why I leave a bottle of Bug and Tar Remover and paper towels in the back, and that is just for our itty, bitty Mosquitos in Canada, not for those monsters on the front of your car:eek:!

I only had a bottle of windex, which ultimately ruined my wax job, but I think autopilot was more important IMO. If this happens to you, go wash the car, then call Tesla; they can diagnose & reset the car's control unit remotely to bring it back online instead of waiting a while in park. I don't think a little swarm would do anything bad, but the bug splatter was enough to simultaneously blind the forward facing cameras and the ultrasonic systems. The radar was probably not effected though and TAAC still worked in the meantime

The Baton Rouge SC was only me when showing 4/8 slots in use.
That's weird considering there aren't 8 spots in that section... charger spot or not.

Baton Rouge Superchargers.jpg

Looks like 6 spots with 6 chargers and 6 "Telsa Only" warning signs.

Yes, there is a lot more to the story, but I don't want to get into it until the case is taken care of in court.
Wow, sorry to hear (but not overly surprised) that Alexandria police are treating you this way. I've had some moments with police in that area as I pass through "frequently" heading North on I-49. I try to bypass that area as much as possible. Rapides Parish in general should be avoided.

Sucks you have to deal with this.

The towing company said they would get back to me after they tow it or not, but they haven't called me back yet. Yes, there is a lot more to the story, but I don't want to get into it until the case is taken care of in court. After the case is settled, I'll do a write-up in a separate post. I'll be making the long detour through Alexandria next Tuesday as I am filing a formal complaint and they need to have a signature, unless the lawyer advises me otherwise.

Let us know if you need any help with legal expenses. :(

I really appreciate the offer! I don't think the costs are going to be insane so I don't mind thowing a chunk of change out of my pocket to cover it. If its really high for some reason (like if it drags on for a while), I may start some sort of fundraiser.
I hope this works out for you. I don't think it will. You may be in the right, but that is still irrelevant in many areas.

When you do stupid things you're awarded stupid prizes. Maybe this will get you to keep your foolish comments to yourself

The lawyer got back to me, and thinks it's a valid civil rights case and think it'll be easy to get a dismissal alone. Unfortunately, it'll start at $1800 in lawyer fees, but it'll be worth it regardless of the outcome. I've been advised not to go into details at this time, but wish me luck!

First I'm going to wish you luck ... GOOD LUCK!
(yes I shouted that out)
Glad you made it through the storm.
$1800 ...that's about 50 - 90 Tesla or Lewis Hamilton t-shirts.
Unsolicited Advice: Do not get a job as a Nurse in Utah.
Keep us posted on the outcome and any bodycam/bodymic details.