Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. They already have my money, and I've got no communication.

Earlier this year, I emailed Sales and asked for a refund of the $800 or so that I was charged for a product that I never received. By the time the console ships in 2015, it will be 2 years late from the originally promised date of spring/summer 2013. Tesla should never have charged customers for something they are not going to receive for what will likely be a year if you want anything besides piano black.

Sales refunded my money AND kept my place in line.

Earlier this year, I emailed Sales and asked for a refund of the $800 or so that I was charged for a product that I never received. By the time the console ships in 2015, it will be 2 years late from the originally promised date of spring/summer 2013. Tesla should never have charged customers for something they are not going to receive for what will likely be a year if you want anything besides piano black.

Sales refunded my money AND kept my place in line.

I was actually wondering if I'd keep my place in line. If they do, that's great. If not, still want a refund. I feel like I just backed a project on Kickstarter... except, even the frazzled project creators manage to share info more frequently (and, usually, more accurately) than Tesla.

shame indeed.

*edit* as I typed this, my refund came in. Huzzah.

As someone who has the black trim in the car, I will say, I wish I had spent a little money a on a different finish because the black really shows dust and fingerprints super easy and has to be constantly wiped down. Having been in loaner cars with the wood finish and having seen people with the carbon fiber finish, it just looks better overall. So I would not compromise here on the console, you might not like what you get.

Anyone who touches my piano black trim gets a stern talking to. :D

I got the order link this morning. I thought was fairly far back on the list. I requested to be added to the wait list on December 2nd. Anyway, I'm going to pass. I like the open space too much, and the console is too expensive. All I really want is a mini console that provides a small amount of concealed storage, while leaving the rest of the area open.

I am on the waitlist for piano black but have not submitted an order. I got the same email referenced above; it's not clear to me whether I am supposed to actually order the thing now or what.

Regardless, I don't think I will. I've gotten used to having no console and I kind of like it.

Same with me. I'm on the waiting list for piano black but the email is confusing when it comes to actually ordering it. That's not a concern though since I wanted it when I first got the car but I have got used to the open space and I've customized it with the GM cup holders from another thread which was my main concern. Now I really like the open space.

They are big enough to hire a accessories and merchandise team now I would think. Can't believe it's taking this long.

Or partner with others to move faster on these things. The CCI from EVAnnex has been out for, I think, at least a year now. Perhaps Tesla's time would be better spent developing that product to a point where both sides are happy. It seems bizarre that they can build an amazing car, but something that is so relatively simple seems to constantly elude them. Lame.

Same with me. I'm on the waiting list for piano black but the email is confusing when it comes to actually ordering it.

Yesterday, I received an email with a private link the store, where I could order. Then this morning, I received another email saying they'd started shipping the console. (Presumably shipping it to other people, since I didn't order one.) I think they probably sent the second email to everyone, and the first email only to the people who reserved piano black, and who were early enough on the waitlist.

Yesterday, I received an email with a private link the store, where I could order. Then this morning, I received another email saying they'd started shipping the console. (Presumably shipping it to other people, since I didn't order one.) I think they probably sent the second email to everyone, and the first email only to the people who reserved piano black, and who were early enough on the waitlist.

For what it's worth I'm on the list for piano black (since the end of April) but I haven't received any email about it so I'm not sure what is the determining factor for when/who gets the email.

I would like the console myself, but I get so many positive comments about the open space when I show the car (even with the mess where the console should be), I'm probably not going to actually order. If it could be removed for shows, that would be different.

this is one case that Tesla is their own worst enemy.
i called and put myself on the wait list for the pano black console, and received the "you can order now email" yesterday.

the issue is, 18 months have gone by (nearly) since I took delivery in Jan 2013, and as others have stated, I no longer feel an "urgent" need for it, and frankly their are a lot better uses for $600

they need to make it an option when ordering the car, thats when most people would buy it.
at this point, it just doesn't make sense to spend the money on it, at least for me.

I do feel the need for it. In this climate it's pretty much mandatory to carry water/drinks when we're out and I'm always annoyed by the positioning of the cupholders where my elbow should be. Constantly having bottles rolling about in the open center console or on the back floor is stupidly irritating. (We're over 100F here now with high humidity most afternoons).

I do feel the need for it. In this climate it's pretty much mandatory to carry water/drinks when we're out and I'm always annoyed by the positioning of the cupholders where my elbow should be. Constantly having bottles rolling about in the open center console or on the back floor is stupidly irritating. (We're over 100F here now with high humidity most afternoons).

Agreed.

I am in the category of those who paid in full, and I agree with everything said (and will request a refund). I'm surprised no one made this joke. Come on guys, this is shooting fish in a barrel:

Tesla's Drop-In Console, "You can have any color you like as long as it's black."

I'm glad I purchased the EVannex CCI product at launch. They delivered as promised, and I will receive my Model X before I receive a Tesla carbon fiber drop in console.

For those interested in why the Piano Black is being released first, it's going to be because gloss black is much easier to create/match from the supplier than any of the other Tesla trims. Once they perfect the non-black trims on the console, they should all be released.

Let's all be calm and motor on.