Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Putting aside for the moment that I like and admire artsci, and am sorry to see him in this situation too, part of me is actually happy that he is now in the same boat as many of us. Because if there is anyone who can figure out a way to have a replacement piece made for the Piano Black piece that doesn't match our interiors, at a reasonable cost, and then manage to let the rest of us in on the deal, it's Rick!

Get your Piano Black console, artsci, and then please figure out how to fix this! There are a boatload of us willing to pay for the right retrofit to the console we had to buy as a poor second choice.

Putting aside for the moment that I like and admire artsci, and am sorry to see him in this situation too, part of me is actually happy that he is now in the same boat as many of us. Because if there is anyone who can figure out a way to have a replacement piece made for the Piano Black piece that doesn't match our interiors, at a reasonable cost, and then manage to let the rest of us in on the deal, it's Rick!

Get your Piano Black console, artsci, and then please figure out how to fix this! There are a boatload of us willing to pay for the right retrofit to the console we had to buy as a poor second choice.

That was my plan but as I said, when I clicked through to order a piano black they were "sold out." Thus my frustration. I can do carbon fiber but not sure about the other finishes.

That was my plan but as I said, when I clicked through to order a piano black they were "sold out." Thus my frustration. I can do carbon fiber but not sure about the other finishes.

I wasn't meaning to rub it in. When I wrote "Get your Piano Black console" I meant eventually, once the store has them again. I knew you had just tried to, and currently couldn't. Sorry for the confusion.

And as for the other finishes, I can't speak for anyone else, but as for me, my first choice for a replacement piece would be Obeche Matte. But failing that, my second choice would be a covering in the same leather or faux leather or whatever it is that is on the sides of the console. I think there are probably plenty of people who would be reasonably happy with that, because the console would then still match the rest of the car, and they wouldn't have one piece on the console that matches nothing except for a two-inch tiny piece on the gear selector.

I agree with you Andy, that is the simplest solution by far. And honestly, doesn't this almost guarantee that this will be offered as soon as the existing stock is sold out?

Who the heck knows? There are too many variables to hazard a guess.

Just to throw some out...

--Tesla could be so annoyed with this console vendor that they don't want to do any more business with this company. If they have to start from scratch with a new company, that could take quite a while.
--There are at least some design issues with the current console that I'm sure Tesla would like to correct. That could take some time.
--It's possible that the extra markup for the non-Piano Black trim offerings were where the majority of the profit was coming from. Without that extra margin, Tesla may have no incentive to produce the console at all.

I've had my non matching piano black for a little over three weeks. I can't imagine having the car without the console! I think it is great!!

I suspect that many of you will quickly forget about Conolegate once you have your own console installed - I certainly have.

I've had my non matching piano black for a little over three weeks. I can't imagine having the car without the console! I think it is great!!

I suspect that many of you will quickly forget about Conolegate once you have your own console installed - I certainly have.

I've had my non-matching Piano Black console for less than a week. I also like having the console. But I vehemently disagree with you about quickly forgetting about Consolegate, and the mismatch. Every time I get in the car and see that big, reflective piece of black staring at me, I feel like the car is mocking me. In low light the Piano Black is almost invisible, and it's as if there is a gaping hole there. In bright light it is the only thing in my car that is highly reflective. I hate it! I hate it with a passion! It is seriously detracting from my love of the car. It's the end of the honeymoon period for me. I no longer feel exuberantly happy just to be driving the car. I look at the console, and it just makes me sad.

Same here. Looks like it was clean up time and the few consoles available are gone so emails were sent to all remaining customers. I've been on the list since Oct 2013 and just received the dreaded "sorry but purchase black now' email and lo and behold it's sold out anyway. :crying:

I can envisage/understand the problem but Tesla needs to try again on this one please.

Yeah, it definitely seems like Tesla was working their way through the list, offering those who were on it a chance to buy, then moving on to the next in line. I suspect there will be a new console, or something similar (maybe no empty space in future models?), but the communication here was fairly poor.

Rick, I'm sure there are a few consoles in the area you could take a peek at to work on.

Just got my "sorry we can't make the obeche matt, and sorry we're now out of stock of the piano, even though you reserved years ago" email. Meh.
Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. We apologize that you did not immediately receive the email update. We also apologize that we will be unable to provide you with an Obeche Wood Matte console and that the Piano Black console is sold out on the Tesla Gear site. We will be updating the product page as soon as they are back in stock. We know that you have been on the Premium Front Console waitlist for quite some time, so we will also be sure to notify you via email once they are available for purchase again.

Got an e-mail from Tesla store with a link to order the piano black console. I checked their website and it still showed sold out. Clicked the link and was able to order it. I had previously asked about a week ago if there was a waiting list for the piano black console since it showed it was sold out and they said no, just keep checking their website. Well I guess there must have been a waiting list then, since they sent me a special link.

Got an e-mail from Tesla store with a link to order the piano black console. I checked their website and it still showed sold out. Clicked the link and was able to order it. I had previously asked about a week ago if there was a waiting list for the piano black console since it showed it was sold out and they said no, just keep checking their website. Well I guess there must have been a waiting list then, since they sent me a special link.
Did you get a delivery estimate? My order got confirmed on May 19th, but forgot or didn't see what the delivery estimate was. I'm coming up on my 12,500 mile service and would love for them to install the center console at the same time.

I just had mine installed today and it has a lot of lateral movement at the front part underneath the pocket like its not bolted to anything is this normal?
I love the console and it looks great but I dont think it should move around as much as it does.

I just had mine installed today and it has a lot of lateral movement at the front part underneath the pocket like its not bolted to anything is this normal?
I love the console and it looks great but I dont think it should move around as much as it does.

I don't think that's normal.

I know the tech that installed mine drilled at least one hole on each side, and I think they very well may have been towards the front. I imagine those holes were somehow used to secure the front of the console. Perhaps the person that installed yours left out those steps.