Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[video]https://youtu.be/5aIPpmrvJ3o[/video]

Nope def not normal. I think either they didn't screw it in all the way or at all. You should def call the service center about that.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like someone with the center console to please take a look at something for me:
I am interested in adding some LED lighting inside it (yes, I know, probably not necessary, but I link to tinker). I am thinking about leaving a wire there for future use, and would like to know where to thread it so that I can find it inside the console after it has been installed. Is the console "open" in the front? That is, if you were to reach in and up, do you feel the bottom of the cubby? Or, is it open in the most forward section to the original section of the car?

Come to think of it, I recall there being pictures somewhere here of a console that had yet to be installed. If someone can point me to those, that would be appreciated.

When I feel inside it feels like the console consists of just two walls and the top piece. Like they are using the existing bottom and front and back walls for maximum space (this is why it is so deep and goes all the way to the front of the car). So from the front of the car if you wanted to run a wire that should be very doable without interference from the console.

When I feel inside it feels like the console consists of just two walls and the top piece. Like they are using the existing bottom and front and back walls for maximum space (this is why it is so deep and goes all the way to the front of the car). So from the front of the car if you wanted to run a wire that should be very doable without interference from the console.

Great! I am going to thread a pair of wires there with connectors and just ask them to leave them as is. I'll power them up through some method in the future. Either that or never use them.

I have read reports of some people getting their consoles installed like that then pleading with the service center to refund them and remove the console.

I've read a report of somebody saying that he or she had read reports of some people getting their consoles installed like that then pleading with the service center to refund them and remove the console. :wink:

Serious: I don't have mine yet but I've seen an installed one and it was rock solid. Unless they would have made changes (which I highly doubt), it really isn't supposed to wiggle like that. I'm sure the SC can correct. May be nothing more than tightening one ore two screws?

Per service, they have to drill into the side of the existing panels in the car. Therefore, if you have the console removed, you will have to live with holes in the side panels of your open space. Service said there is no way to "undo" that. Fortunately, now that I've had my CF console for a couple of days, I have to say that the car finally feels "finished". I love the look of it. I must say that the new forward cup holders aren't particularly useful for narrow beverage containers like Tesla's travel mug, but perhaps a Starbucks cup or a wider travel mug would fit a bit better. Anything narrower than the space provided by the inserts will flop around as you turn, accelerate, etc.

But you can't beat the look. Every time I look down now, I see a beautiful console instead of the junk I used to have down there before. :)

Per service, they have to drill into the side of the existing panels in the car. Therefore, if you have the console removed, you will have to live with holes in the side panels of your open space. Service said there is no way to "undo" that. Fortunately, now that I've had my CF console for a couple of days, I have to say that the car finally feels "finished". I love the look of it. I must say that the new forward cup holders aren't particularly useful for narrow beverage containers like Tesla's travel mug, but perhaps a Starbucks cup or a wider travel mug would fit a bit better. Anything narrower than the space provided by the inserts will flop around as you turn, accelerate, etc.

But you can't beat the look. Every time I look down now, I see a beautiful console instead of the junk I used to have down there before. :)

Glad to see your feedback. I have one waiting at SC to install in next week or so with delivery. That was really the only thing I found odd about the car. Really want that small amount of storage for use as well as like the look in photos have seen.

Thanks for posting that -- I successfully ordered the micro USB dock version, which I, of course, will modify with real carbon fiber and tan leather as well as changes to mount the iPhone 6. If Tesla can't provide what I want I'll just do it myself:).

May I ask, why are you getting the micro USB if you intend to modify it to fit the iPhone? I know that cases make for a tough fit, but there are extenders for that, or it can be modified as someone did above. Actually, come to think of it, there are both usb to lightning extenders and lightning to lightning extenders.

Here are some photos of my CF console. I was parked under a tree, so what appears to be mottling on the side panel of the console is just a shadow. The portion with CF trim is quite large, so I'm surprised by the comments that the trim was in a small area of the console that is not very visible. As you can see, it's quite visible and takes up almost half of the top of the console. While you don't see the trim when it's flipped over to accommodate a phone, I turn it back over when I remove my phone because it looks so good.

Note the black stitching to match the rest of my interior.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

That was my plan but as I said, when I clicked through to order a piano black they were "sold out." Thus my frustration. I can do carbon fiber but not sure about the other finishes.
If any attendees of Connect '15 get a piano black console before the event, please try to let artsci have a look at it while he's there.

If any attendees of Connect '15 get a piano black console before the event, please try to let artsci have a look at it while he's there.

He ordered one already:

Thanks for posting that -- I successfully ordered the micro USB dock version, which I, of course, will modify with real carbon fiber and tan leather as well as changes to mount the iPhone 6. If Tesla can't provide what I want I'll just do it myself:).

Right, but he may not have one before Connect. The earlier he sees it, can take measurements, etc. the more quickly he can begun preparations for a retrofit offering.
I have a piano black one that was installed last week and will be at Connect. Anyone is free to take measurements, etc as needed. No disassembly, however!

That said, I think many showrooms have one installed in the floor cars. I know Seattle did, and I thought I had heard they were in others, but could be wrong on that.

That said, I think many showrooms have one installed in the floor cars. I know Seattle did, and I thought I had heard they were in others, but could be wrong on that.

The email that was sent saying there would be no consoles in trims other than Piano Black also said that every sales location had a vehicle with a console installed, though apparently that was also a lie:

"Each Tesla Sales location has a marketing vehicle with an installed Piano Black Front Center Console. We encourage you to visit the showroom to review the physical product if you are unsure about your purchase."

Right, but he may not have one before Connect. The earlier he sees it, can take measurements, etc. the more quickly he can begun preparations for a retrofit offering.

Probably will have it before TMC connect but I doubt I can figure out what's needed to modify it by then. I have already ordered matte carbon fiber sheets with a sticking back -- they can be easily cut to fit. Judging from the photos posted by AmpedRealtor fitting the carbon fiber to the phone door should not be a problem. The sliding panels look like they'll be more difficult.

Probably will have it before TMC connect but I doubt I can figure out what's needed to modify it by then. I have already ordered matte carbon fiber sheets with a sticking back -- they can be easily cut to fit. Judging from the photos posted by AmpedRealtor fitting the carbon fiber to the phone door should not be a problem. The sliding panels look like they'll be more difficult.

I'd be interested in knowing, once you or someone else good at taking things apart and putting them back together gets one, if it looks like the one folding piece could easily be swapped or not. (I have my console, but can't tell.) Because if that piece could easily be swapped, I'd hope some third-party company would manufacture replacement pieces for those of us unhappy with the piano black. They could do it as a kickstarter campaign or something if need be, to make sure the interest / funding is there to make it worthwhile for them.

I'd be interested in knowing, once you or someone else good at taking things apart and putting them back together gets one, if it looks like the one folding piece could easily be swapped or not. (I have my console, but can't tell.) Because if that piece could easily be swapped, I'd hope some third-party company would manufacture replacement pieces for those of us unhappy with the piano black. They could do it as a kickstarter campaign or something if need be, to make sure the interest / funding is there to make it worthwhile for them.

I'll be taking in apart for sure -- it's a necessary step.