Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
Wow, Matt. Thank you. People were in such an uproar over this, and look how ridiculously easy of a fix this was. Looks perfect. I guess my fear was that it was a nylon/polypropylene stitching that would not absorb the color. It must be cotton.

This was what I used. Comes with a brush. I applied with brush, then wiped off with paper towel. No need to wait for it to set, otherwise you will have a hard time removing the none stitched area

I was one of the lucky ones to get in on an obeche gloss console. My local service center emailed me and asked if I wanted them to come install it on site today! I was at work and the ranger did it in my parking lot, took about an hour.

Not to add insult to injury for those who didn't get it, but I haven't seen any pics of obeche gloss with tan seats. Note my car has black stitching but I didn't want to wait for the black stitch side panels. I do like the look even if it isn't matched, and I have no qualms about staining the stitching myself later on if it bugs me.

57fc03bb3fa1d576f68506fba89cc338.jpg

d25f20d09b39c6c2232b0fec6c03010b.jpg

2306d5bbbee75cf9d82ec8bc07ef994c.jpg

6e09938558b947d25a8447ac4db4038b.jpg

e9bae2f33453c27265ce6e4a24de7ab4.jpg

The stitching matches your bag. Non-issue. :)

I was thinking that too. Maybe the bag company should market it as a Tesla accessory. :smile:

Question: is the front cover (the part that's in obeche gloss) able to close if you have anything plugged into the USB ports? It looks like you had to unplug whatever USB device was there and put it into the cup holder, but I wonder if a low-profile USB stick would still allow the cover to be fully closed?

Question: is the front cover (the part that's in obeche gloss) able to close if you have anything plugged into the USB ports? It looks like you had to unplug whatever USB device was there and put it into the cup holder, but I wonder if a low-profile USB stick would still allow the cover to be fully closed?

You can use a low-profile adapter and close the cover (door), but even then, it's not perfect, because of the port cover, and the fact that the console cover (door) has to "click' past horizontal to open and to close. It works, but I believe the port cover is preventing the console cover (door) from being able to move as freely as it should when you press down on it to click it. I posted a lot about that in the first post in this thread: Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

You can use a low-profile adapter and close the cover (door), but even then, it's not perfect, because of the port cover, and the fact that the console cover (door) has to "click' past horizontal to open and to close. It works, but I believe the port cover is preventing the console cover (door) from being able to move as freely as it should when you press down on it to click it. I posted a lot about that in the first post in this thread: Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

We got our obeche gloss center console a couple weeks ago. The phone charger (android) has a cord that comes out the bottom rear of the console and has to coil around and down to the USB port. In other words, the cord goes up, then around, then down under the console rear. The obeche door closes without issues. I have no trouble with anything in the other USB port, and if I don't want to use the charge adapter, I can unplug it and use both USB ports.

We used to use boxes to hold our junk. It looks much nicer and more finished now. I found that I can get two 12 oz stainless steel refillable water bottles (Kleen Kanteen) to fit diagonally with two eight oz plastic short throw away store water bottles, all behind ONE of the curved holders so it doesn't take up much room. Then there is plenty of room to stick a hand in to reach the flashlight, gloves, glasses, tissues, etc., forward of the bottles. If you use all those curvy dividers, you can't use the room under the screen.

Also notice the velcro tape to block the blinding glare I get off the bottom of the screen. I also use the same across the bottom of the dash screen, which also reflects wickedly at times.

002 sm.jpg
003 sm.jpg
006 sm.jpg

We got our obeche gloss center console a couple weeks ago. The phone charger (android) has a cord that comes out the bottom rear of the console and has to coil around and down to the USB port. In other words, the cord goes up, then around, then down under the console rear. The obeche door closes without issues. I have no trouble with anything in the other USB port, and if I don't want to use the charge adapter, I can unplug it and use both USB ports.

I answered the original question as if the poster was asking about the 12V charging port instead of what the question really referred to, which was the USB port.

As roblab correctly stated, there is no issue with anything plugged into either USB port interfering with the operation of the door.

A regular 12V adapter --WILL-- interfere significantly with the operation of the door. A low-profile 12V adapter will work, but just barely, as explained in my post above, and in the thread I linked to.

And roblab--you may want to check that thread, and then consider picking up a $13 low profile 12V adapter. Your android devices should charge faster if they are capable of faster charging than the what the Tesla USB ports supply. And more importantly, you'd always have both USB ports free.

Thanks, guys. My low-profile USB stick isn't any larger than the phone charger adapter (with U-turn cable) in roblab's photo, so that answers the question.

But now I have another one. Looking at SteveW25561's pics again, the end of the charger cable that sticks up (allowing the phone to "dock" in a semi-upright position) looks like it sits in a plastic adapter that can be removed. Is there enough room for a phone to lie flat in this space, connected to USB for charging, and close the door over it? (I'm thinking of a case where the phone is low on juice and needs to stay plugged in, but we might need to leave the car during that time and obviously the phone shouldn't be visible.)http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/member.php/14318-SteveW25561

I am using a low profile 12v adapter and it still allows the door to function. That said, the cover for the 12v port has to sit horizontal and it seems to interfere a bit with the door's movement -- minimally since I'm still able to click it to open or close it. This is what Andyw2100 describes above, I think.

I had to discontinue the use of the right angle USB adapter because my existing iphone cable can't reach the dash when routed to the armrest end of the center console: previously without the center console, the cable went straight toward the dashboard, but now it has to route differently to allow the door to close. I still prefer the dash mount for my iphone since I can read and use it. If only a Tesla implemented CarPlay I could have the phone in the docking port and still use it on the screen.

As for laying a phone down horizontally and charging it while the door is closed, the iphone 6 is too tall for that, but I suspect a 5 would fit. I can check tomorrow. And yes, the lightning connector part is easily removable although I didn't get a blank plate to replace it if I did take it out (not sure if others did). I did immediately do the "toothpick mod" to push the lighting cable up a but to charge my phone in its case.

Fit and finish:
1. I noticed they added felt around the USB charging ports and 12 v ports. A nice little touch in case things roll around in there, they don't clack against the previously hard surface.

2. When the sliding black doors are fully closed, they click lock into place. At first I couldn't get it open, but then realized you have to push down on the silver handle to disengage the hook underneath, then the sliding panels can open. A good idea, but in mine, it's a bit hard to push it just right -- I've found it sometimes takes a couple tries. Also, the sliding itself isn't silky smooth -- it's not really rough but also not elegant in feel. I'm thinking of putting a bit of silicone lubricant in the tracks -- there's no lubricant in them currently. Not sure if this is unique to mine, or it's a sign of the quality control issues they cite, although this part has nothing to do with the obeche finish panel.

3. The obeche gloss panel is quite nice, and I don't see a quality issue there. No obvious way to remove the panel to add a skin or modify it. I suspect I'd need to take the console out entirely to take that part out.

4. The floor of the console feels pretty plush, thicker than the stock carpeting that was there before.

All said, I'm very happy with it. My interior looks much cleaner now, and I do prefer the cup holders there.

I've nearly completed my medications to the piano black console that was delivered yesterday to my home. It was delivered unassembled and to help others thinking about modifications I shot a number of photos of it in that state. BTW, the piano black surface of the phone door was scratched and if I hadn't planned to cover it in carbon fiber I would have returned it to Tesla. I have to imagine that the console costs far less than $100 to manufacture so it has to be very profitable for Tesla. For a plastic assembly of this kind it's of average quality and it amazes me that Tesla had problems with manufacturing quality. I have to imagine that whoever manufacturers this piece for Tesla is not top drawer and details of the console show it.

As Tesla no longer produces a carbon fiber version my goal was to add a real carbon fiber layer (not the fake stuff) to all of the hinged and sliding door surfaces. I wanted to go much further than Tesla's carbon fiber version, which only had carbon fiber on the hinged phone door.

The work has been completed and as soon as I get it installed in my car I'll post a bunch of photos and descriptions of what I did.

The console is basically composed of injection molded plastic with a few metal pieces. I had no need to take it apart but it would not be difficult to do so.

Photos and more information later today.

Does the real carbon fiber you used look more like what Tesla uses on the dash, than fake carbon fiber?

Yes, it has the same matte finish. It's a very thin twill weave carbon fiber layer with a 3M self stick backing. It can be cut with a utility knife or scissors. I bought it from Dragon Plate, which is my go-to source for carbon fiber products. My guess would be that Tesla uses similar material for the dash rather than laying up its own stuff.

Would love to see before, after, and during pictures!

Working on that. To attach the carbon fiber I had to remove and replace the small handle and the end of the sliding door. It's piece of plastic junk anyway so I want out to shop for a replacement. Attaching that now and will get some photos up by mid day.

Update: Wasn't happy with the aesthetics of alternatives to the handle, so I reattached the existing one with superglue. Installing in car now.

Last edited:
Wow, this looks great. Now if we can figure out how to do the same with Obeche Matte wood, I will be a very happy camper. Getting my piano black console installed tomorrow morning by a ranger. I am looking forward to having the console, but like everyone else, I am disappointed that I won't be able to have it match the wood trim in the rest of the car.

Wow, this looks great. Now if we can figure out how to do the same with Obeche Matte wood, I will be a very happy camper. Getting my piano black console installed tomorrow morning by a ranger. I am looking forward to having the console, but like everyone else, I am disappointed that I won't be able to have it match the wood trim in the rest of the car.

+1

I feel exactly the same. I should have my piano black later this week but it's a shame it won't match my obeche matte dash and rear console.