Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That certainly looks unacceptable... I'm hoping its just an installer forgetting part of the install. If mine comes like that, I will certainly have it removed and refunded. Surprised that Tesla would allow that to happen.

Why wouldn't they just get the installation corrected?

They were posts on forums (maybe even this one), so I have no direct interaction with them to know more. I would imagine they were told this was normal and that's when they demanded a refund. To me, this doesn't seem normal, but it isn't the first video of one like that I've seen. For instance, Rob (@tliving on here) posted this video of one in a showroom car...

Last edited by a moderator:
They were posts on forums (maybe even this one), so I have no direct interaction with them to know more. I would imagine they were told this was normal and that's when they demanded a refund. To me, this doesn't seem normal, but it isn't the first video of one like that I've seen. For instance, Rob (@tliving on here) posted this video of one in a showroom car...

The question wasn't really directed at you. I was just suggesting that these people may have wanted to get the console installed properly as opposed to giving up on it. I'll have to double check mine, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything like that.

And if anyone lucky enough to get an obeche matte console gets it installed like that and wants to be rid of it, I'll gladly pay you for it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And if anyone lucky enough to get an obeche matte console gets it installed like that and wants to be rid of it, I'll gladly pay you for it! :)

Get your grubby hands off my console! :tongue:
(I actually should be careful. It's not mine until it's installed :scared:)

In all seriousness, is anyone surprised that it may wiggle a bit? Just think about the CCI aftermarket product. It just lies there and pulls right out. I can't imagine it's that more stable. To get something like this to act truly solid and not wiggle, wouldn't they have to screw it down in multiple locations? That would suck if you ever wanted to remove it. Heck, I would sacrifice stability and much prefer it if Tesla does NOT do the permanent install on mine. It would be cool to be able to remove it on occasion. Maybe as my mood fits.

At the last gathering of local Model S owners, I examined a few center consoles. None of them wiggled like this, and no owners had any complaints about their consoles. In fact, they all heaped universal praise on the product. If it wiggles, it was installed incorrectly and I would ask for a redo.

I would like someone with the center console to please take a look at something for me:
I am interested in adding some LED lighting inside it (yes, I know, probably not necessary, but I link to tinker). I am thinking about leaving a wire there for future use, and would like to know where to thread it so that I can find it inside the console after it has been installed. Is the console "open" in the front? That is, if you were to reach in and up, do you feel the bottom of the cubby? Or, is it open in the most forward section to the original section of the car?

Come to think of it, I recall there being pictures somewhere here of a console that had yet to be installed. If someone can point me to those, that would be appreciated.

I would like someone with the center console to please take a look at something for me:
I am interested in adding some LED lighting inside it (yes, I know, probably not necessary, but I link to tinker). I am thinking about leaving a wire there for future use, and would like to know where to thread it so that I can find it inside the console after it has been installed. Is the console "open" in the front? That is, if you were to reach in and up, do you feel the bottom of the cubby? Or, is it open in the most forward section to the original section of the car?

Come to think of it, I recall there being pictures somewhere here of a console that had yet to be installed. If someone can point me to those, that would be appreciated.
I added a battery powered LED light in my Tesla Premium Console. I used double sided tape to secure it. It provides adequate light. It uses so little power that a battery model is more than adequate.

My wife has the car at work today, so I can't actually check. I know the front end, closest to the 12V and USB ports, is completely open, as you will power there. The console basically uses the "wall" of the car that those ports are on as it's inside front wall.

Correct. It is open aft, though I am not interested in accessing the USB ports for this, though that is an option. I was thinking more of a permanent power source from the front of the car or OBD connector. I may even tap into the ambient lighting. I would really love to tap into the dome light, so I can control it from the screen, but no one has figured that one out yet (the ambient light is on a photo-sensor and does not come on if it is light outside).

Does anyone else find it significant that the current link for the Premium Front Console in the Tesla Shop contains no reference to piano black or any other trim colors? Brianman will think I am again reading too much into this, but I think that is further proof that we are about to see a trimless/generic console.

Tesla Gear Shop Premium Front Console

This was removed on May 26th:

Changed:
- Premium Front Console - Piano Black
... into:
+ Premium Front Console

Changed:
- Premium Front Console - Piano Black
- * Premium Front Console - Piano Black
... into:
+ Premium Front Console
+ * Premium Front Console

Changed:
- Please include your VIN when placing your order. If your VIN has not
- yet been assigned, please enter in your reservation number. We will
- only ship this item to a Service Center location, so please also select
- a Service Center from the drop-down menu. Order fulfillment will be
- delayed if this information is not included. Please allow 4 weeks for
- your order to be processed. We apologize that we cannot guarantee
- pre-delivery installation. We are not maintaining a waitlist for the
- Premium Front Console.
- Professional installation at a Tesla Motors Service Center is included
- in the price. Consoles purchased online can only be sent to Service
- Centers in North America.
- Add covered storage to your Model S with our versatile Premium
- Front Console that easily slides into the existing space between the
- front seats. Whether you'd like to carry large water bottles or just
- need a place to charge your phone, the Premium Front Console is a
- stylish storage solution.
... into:
+ Add covered storage, extra cup holders and a place to charge your phone
+ with the premium front console. The console is trimmed in black
+ with chrome accents and installs between the front seats.
+ * Sliding cover protects contents from view
+ * Flip-up top with rubber grips and a pass-through for phone dock kit
+ * Removable dividers for custom layout
+ * Optional phone dock kit for Micro-USB and iPhone 5.0+ (Lightning
+ cable)

Changed:
- Each console features:
- * A sliding cover
- * Flip-up deck with rubber grips and a pass-through for phone dock
- kit
- * Removable, curved dividers that facilitate a customized storage
- solution for your personal needs (drink storage, wallet,
- sunglasses, phone, etc.)
- * Optional iPhone Lightning/Micro-USB phone dock
... into:
+ When ordering, please include your VIN or vehicle reservation number
+ and choose which service center we should ship your console to. When it
+ arrives, the service center will call you to schedule an installation
+ appointment.
+ Due to this item’s popularity, please allow about a month for delivery.
+ Price includes installation. Consoles purchased online can only be sent
+ to Service Centers in North America. For Tesla customers outside North
+ America, please contact your nearest Service Center to confirm pricing
+ and availability.

Got an e-mail from Tesla store with a link to order the piano black console. I checked their website and it still showed sold out. Clicked the link and was able to order it. I had previously asked about a week ago if there was a waiting list for the piano black console since it showed it was sold out and they said no, just keep checking their website. Well I guess there must have been a waiting list then, since they sent me a special link.

I have been checking the Tesla Store daily waiting for the console to change from "sold out". I just got my MS and the console went "Sold Out" a couple of days after I took delivery...
My décor is CF, but you take what you can get and after a couple of years I believe them when they say Piano Black only!!

I anticipated with all the issues with the people getting kicked off the backorder list that demand would be high and it could be months if I didn't order it as soon as it was restocked, as it would be sold out again.
Well today 6/4, there it was, no longer "sold out" I put it in my cart with a bunch of other items at checked out!!
I got a confirmation email:
Premium Front Console - Micro-USB Dock Kit -
Premium Center Console - Piano Black for $ 600.00 each..

Just for grins I went back a few hours later just to see and it is "Sold Out" again.
Who knows how long it will take to arrive at the SC.