Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious. How hard would it be to change out the flip part later when Matte Obeche Wood shows up? For example, would Tesla likely sell that cover door separately and be able to install it (for a fee obviously)?

I do know of at least one person on this forum who has the carbon interior that was planning to buy a piece of CF (or a look alike) to cover the piano black. That wouldn't work, of course, for the other, more exotic, selections.

I got a similar reply as Nigel. Mine is for Obeche Wood Gloss

We are currently estimating the console with your décor will be available in the spring, and then, we will begin working our way down the waitlist to fulfill orders. We will be able to provide better timing information as to when you can expect to receive the link to purchase the console after the consoles have been released. Now that we have finished fulfilling all Piano Black orders, you are approximately 460 on the waitlist.

If you were to purchase the Piano Black console today, we would fulfill your order by the end of next week and send it to your preferred Service Center location for installation. The Service Center would contact you to schedule the installation appointment after they received the console.​

Nice prompt reply from Tesla:

On the one hand I'm a bit leery as to what exactly "spring" means but on the other it sounds a little more definite than before. I ordered CF about a week after the original list opened up in October 2013.

To me "spring" still sounds just as vague as "early 2015." Sigh. The wait continues...

It's hard for me to understand how changing a small trim piece on the center console would take so long.

I got a similar reply as Nigel. Mine is for Obeche Wood Gloss
Thanks, good to know. I'm waiting for the same trim as you.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, the decor is only on the top part that flips open where the phone adapter sits. If you're planning on docking your phone or leaving that section open for any reason you'll never see the piano black or any other finish. That's why I didn't wait, even with the CF interior.
I plan on having it closed most of the time, so I want the trim to match. My phone is usually attached to a clip on an air vent so I can use Waze. It won't be spending much time in the dock.

Thanks, good to know. I'm waiting for the same trim as you.

- - - Updated - - -

I plan on having it closed most of the time, so I want the trim to match. My phone is usually attached to a clip on an air vent so I can use Waze. It won't be spending much time in the dock.

It is a great shelf for other things. I keep mine open all the time regardless if my phone is sitting there. In fact, I rarely use the charging (I'll still throw my phone on the tray, but not plug it in) because I have a Galaxy S5 and it is difficult to make it fit with the charge cover in the way.

To each his own I suppose. Didn't matter either way for me since my interior is black. Just thought I would throw the info out there.

I asked Tesla and they replied "Unfortunately, we will be unable to swap out or replace the flip-up deck for the Carbon Fiber piece when those consoles become available in 2015."
Bummer - I've had my car now for approximately 3 weeks and miss the benefits of the center console. I hope "available in 2015" is more like "available in early 2015". Wishful thinking I know. Has Tesla made any statements as to why only the piano black version is available? I would think that having the others available would be easy since it's the same console except for the one cover door.

Bummer - I've had my car now for approximately 3 weeks and miss the benefits of the center console. I hope "available in 2015" is more like "available in early 2015". Wishful thinking I know. Has Tesla made any statements as to why only the piano black version is available? I would think that having the others available would be easy since it's the same console except for the one cover door.

Agree, it doesn't make sense and they haven't given any explanation. The good news is that in general, later deliveries of anything Tesla are of higher quality, have fewer problems, and sometimes have new features. So maybe something special is planned for the spring non-piano consoles.

Jerome was recently in Norway and some members of the Norwegian Tesla owners club were invited.

Among the questions asked was why the center console in other trims than piano black was taking so long. He explained that in the other trims some compartment didn't stay closed during crash testing and the console was therefore not approved.

Last edited:
I heard that as the reason it took so long on the piano black as well. I like ours because it hides the junk. But the forward compartment is a pain. Things slide forward and my husband has large hands and can't get to them, I have to reach in there to grab them

how are you even ordering one with trim other than piano black. I was lead to believe that they arent taking any orders other than black...no wait list or pre-purchasing program available, How did you get your CF ordered?

Well, honestly when I ordered my car I asked about the center console and the Tesla sales person gave me an email address where I could order the thing. So this is what I did. I then got an email back confirming the order but also with a statement that so far only the piano black console is available.

I am seriously considering getting the piano black version since I just read a comment in this thread which indicates that the actual area that is covered in "carbon" would be hidden when the latch is open. So I think I'd rather have a nice center console that has a small piano black cover than having all my stuff roll around on the floor of a 100'000 swiss frank car...

- - - Updated - - -

When I traded cars they removed the console from the one I traded and installed it free of charge in the new one. Took 20 minutes.

FWIW, the decor is only on the top part that flips open where the phone adapter sits. If you're planning on docking your phone or leaving that section open for any reason you'll never see the piano black or any other finish. That's why I didn't wait, even with the CF interior.

Looking at the pictures the TESLA console has a rather large sliding cover that slides all the way down and ends up touching a docked phone. So are you saying that this whole moving area is covered in piano black or maybe just some other even smaller area ? The pictures on the Tesla webpage are not really helpful. Do you maybe have pictures that show how this looks ? I first wanted to get the piano black finish but opted for the carbon interior later as my wife seemed to like it better : ) I personally would not mind if just a small area is piano black instead of carbon. Most likely nobody would notice anyway....

If you could answer this it would help me very much with my decision.

Well, honestly when I ordered my car I asked about the center console and the Tesla sales person gave me an email address where I could order the thing. So this is what I did. I then got an email back confirming the order but also with a statement that so far only the piano black console is available.

I am seriously considering getting the piano black version since I just read a comment in this thread which indicates that the actual area that is covered in "carbon" would be hidden when the latch is open. So I think I'd rather have a nice center console that has a small piano black cover than having all my stuff roll around on the floor of a 100'000 swiss frank car...

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the pictures the TESLA console has a rather large sliding cover that slides all the way down and ends up touching a docked phone. So are you saying that this whole moving area is covered in piano black or maybe just some other even smaller area ? The pictures on the Tesla webpage are not really helpful. Do you maybe have pictures that show how this looks ? I first wanted to get the piano black finish but opted for the carbon interior later as my wife seemed to like it better : ) I personally would not mind if just a small area is piano black instead of carbon. Most likely nobody would notice anyway....

If you could answer this it would help me very much with my decision.

The only part that is piano black is the small flip up area where the phone dock is.

The only part that is piano black is the small flip up area where the phone dock is.

I my be stupid but I can't see this "flip up area" in the pictures. It's not the large lid that can be slid back. Are you talking about the almost vertical backing that is visible behind the Phone ? can this somehow be flipped up ? The Tesla page maybe does not show the whole console all the way closed ?

I my be stupid but I can't see this "flip up area" in the pictures. It's not the large lid that can be slid back. Are you talking about the almost vertical backing that is visible behind the Phone ? can this somehow be flipped up ? The Tesla page maybe does not show the whole console all the way closed ?

Yes the part that is behind the phone. When there is no phone in the dock that part flips down to cover the little open area. That is the only part that is piano black.

edit:
Here is a pic from the website. The shiny area at the back by the cup holders is the only part that is in piano black and that is the part that flips up.

center_console_images_no_phone_v14.006_1024x1024.jpg

The Service Adviser at the Costa Mesa Service Center allowed me to take the showroom display out to my car to see how it would look installed. The one small panel in piano black is not a big deal either flipped open or closed. The flat black body of the console matches well. Since my pre-order was in stock I still had to schedule the installation which is supposed to take an hour. Also, they are going to do it on a Sunday which really fits my plans.
old geezer (and former street racer)

I was also thinking about switching from my Obeche Matte to the Piano Black, then realized that 90% of the time, I keep my phone mounted on the dash so as to use Waze, etc. I therefore will likely keep the cover closed. I decided to email TM again, and received a response within 1 minute. I am sure it's a canned response, but here it is:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. We are currently estimating the console with your décor will be available in the spring, and then, we will begin working our way down the waitlist to fulfill orders. You will likely receive the link to purchase the console within the first few weeks after the console becomes available, however, we will be able to provide better timing information as to when you can expect to receive the link to purchase the console after the consoles have been released.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank your for your continued patience.