Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd also own the CCI if it looked like it had been designed by someone other than a starving intern.
I actually think the CCI looks like a well-made unit. Much better than anything I could have done. I just don't really need a single cupholder like that, and I need much more storage. The CCI seems like it wastes a lot of space. If I am going to bother covering the floor, I want to make the most of it.

Piano black

Yesterday Tesla called to let me know the center console (piano black) was shipping. It will be stored at the Denver delivery center until my car is delivered in late April. The car is ordered with the glossy Obeche wood.
Originally I was concerned about the mismatch so I went to the showroom and put up the piano sample against the glossy Obeche and realized with the black next gen seats the only person who most likely notice the mismatch, other than me, might be a member of this board.
I know spring is around the corner. When I added my name to the wait list for an Obeche console the reply email said the console would not be available until early fall. I compromised and went with an available choice.

I'd also own the CCI if it looked like it had been designed by someone other than a starving intern.

I think the CCI looks great, and the tan leather (and stitching) and Obeche Gloss trim is a perfect match in my car. It is expertly crafted, in my opinion, and I have owned one since they day they were available. I also love that is removable on a whim. On the rare occasion that my wife will be driving the car, I take it out for her, as she loves the open space to store a large bag or purse. I have the additional hidden second cupholder option, and I use those two cupholders constantly. I highly recommend the CCI, it is fantastic, and comes in all color combinations. At least the starving CCI design interns were able to get that part right!

I do like how the Tesla offering has adjustable space and a lower profile, but I don't know if either of these are worth the tradeoff of not being removable.

Yesterday Tesla called to let me know the center console (piano black) was shipping. It will be stored at the Denver delivery center until my car is delivered in late April. The car is ordered with the glossy Obeche wood.
Originally I was concerned about the mismatch so I went to the showroom and put up the piano sample against the glossy Obeche and realized with the black next gen seats the only person who most likely notice the mismatch, other than me, might be a member of this board.
I know spring is around the corner. When I added my name to the wait list for an Obeche console the reply email said the console would not be available until early fall. I compromised and went with an available choice.
I have obeche matte with black leather seats and have considered doing the same, as I really miss having a center console and don't want to wait until summer. I wish Tesla would allow us to buy a new console cover separately later when the obeche matte version becomes available.

Two weeks after I received the car I cannot imagine you guys who don't have a console manage to keep stuff in that open tray. I had a pair of glasses in a case in the tray just below the 17" screen. I had my phone plugged into the charging connector in the console tray. Not even in Insane mode I accelerated. The glasses case flew through the air, Hit the phone sending it and part of the still attached and indebted connector in the phone to the back wall where the USB connectors. Had to replace the cable which was easy. What is not easy is keeping anything in this car in the open. Either you guys have nothing free or drive in a way I don't want to.

Two weeks after I received the car I cannot imagine you guys who don't have a console manage to keep stuff in that open tray. I had a pair of glasses in a case in the tray just below the 17" screen. I had my phone plugged into the charging connector in the console tray. Not even in Insane mode I accelerated. The glasses case flew through the air, Hit the phone sending it and part of the still attached and indebted connector in the phone to the back wall where the USB connectors. Had to replace the cable which was easy. What is not easy is keeping anything in this car in the open. Either you guys have nothing free or drive in a way I don't want to.

That's why so many of us are eagerly waiting! I'm not willing to compromise on anything though. I want the Tesla product and the trim to match my interior. In the meantime, I will have to live with stuff flying around the car all the time... :frown:

You're 100% correct. Which is why I love all the rude posts telling us that we should shut up and love the open aesthetic and buy a Scion if we want good cupholders and storage.

It is now May. Has anyone started receiving notices that their console has arrived?

I haven't read that anyone has.

And I just checked the store and for the first time could not find the finish options other than Piano Black shown anywhere. In the past, the other options were listed. (The video for the Piano Black console still shows the Obeche console.) Anyone think the removal of the other finish options from the store is an ominous sign? Or do you think this is just Tesla's way of reducing demand for parts that are in short supply?

Didn't someone post in the past week that they got a call from a Service Center that their Carbon Fiber center console had come in? I can't remember where that was posted at the moment, but I almost wonder if that was a piano black console delivery for a car that otherwise carbon fiber and there was just confusion on what was actually available.