TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drove P85D over cement parking block

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by 403portside, Aug 16, 2015.

1. 403portside

403portside Member

Yikes. A very uncharacteristic move on my part. I was in a parking lot and apparently my space was the only one with a cement block.

So, I drove forward (suspension in low), maybe 2-3 mph and BAM!, my right wheel goes over the cement block and some part the underneath section of my car hits the block with a loud bang. Luckily, with the suspension in super high, I was able to back up over the block slowly and carefully with no issues, no suspension or wheel parts touching un-naturally.

I looked underneath the car extensively and it looks completely unharmed. Based on my driving, I don't notice any pulling or noises or anything else. Car seems to operate as normal. Really hoping all is OK and will have the car looked at soon. Nerve wracking to think about a control arm or front motor being impacted.

Anyone ever make a boneheaded move like this? Please make me feel better :)

Thanks for listening.

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Get your alignment checked.

3. dayhu99

dayhu99 Member

I have done much worse on my parents Cadillac Went over a cement parking block Unfortunately it had a 4' length of rebar sticking out the top The car was well and truly impaled The tow truck had to lift the car to get it released The oil pan was punctured but not much else other than my pride was damaged

4. BBryson

BBryson Member

I'm guessing with all wheel drive and massive torque, MS D's would drive over obstacles like this with much less effort than an ICE (either intentionally or unintentionally).

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, though not in my Model S, and didn't go completely over the concrete parking block. Felt stupid. Don't want to provide more details, just trying to make you feel better. [emoji3]

6. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Sounds like a faulty model s. It was supposed to have burst into flames when something grazed the undercarriage ;)

7. Soolim

Soolim Member

I will try. MS should have a low angle camera that can detect obstruction higher than the clearance of your car and give you a LOUD warning when obstruction is closer than 6 inches from your bumper.

8. tstafford

tstafford Member

Not exactly the same - but I was driving down the highway in my 1999 M3 and ran over a ladder. Scared the you know what out of me and tore the underside apart. These things happen. If you don't see any obvious damage and don't notice any issues while driving I'd chalk it up to a lucky break and not worry.

9. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

I thought the titanium shield would have pulverized it.

Not funny or fun for the OP. Glad there was no apparent damage, but definitely get an alignment check.

As a 16 year old with about 10 hours on the road I drove up a telephone pole guide wire with a 1974 Rally Nova. It involved loud music, a cute girl and a parking lot full of teenagers. Also, much whooping & laughter once my car slid back down off the wire, which I managed to hit dead center. Wanted. To. Die.

10. 403portside

403portside Member

I actually found this to be the case. I barely touched the accelerator and would have expected to notice hitting the block with my tire first but I didn't. It was just one motion and I was over the block effortlessly.

11. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

It wasn't this one, was it? :)

Ladder Smaller.jpg

12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    A Transport loader did that with my new Porsche 993 a couple decades ago. The bill was $2300 back in 1989. I was thrilled that it was not me.

- - - Updated - - -

Event #2 for me, this time I Was driving. 1984, proud me. I took delivery on my new Maserati in New York, and promptly drove to Park Avenue and 51st Street. Moving to the side of the street I did not notice a small pothole, the underside made contact and the car promptly burst into flames. It was only the catalytic converter, nothing else, so I even stupidly kept the car. Even more stupidly I later bought another one, yes, and then a third one. Luckily my S is not one in my long list of idiotic car decisions.

13. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

In a parking garage, ran over a section of curb that jutted out (poor design IMO... given all the rubber rubbed on to the curb surface, I expect plenty of other folks there would feel the same).

I went right over it, but didn't bottom out. No harm done.

14. 403portside

403portside Member

Update: no issues, these cars are tough. Got an alignment just to be safe. All good now.

15. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Same here. Rush hour traffic, 60 mph, no chance to avoid. Ladder pretty much flat except that it was bowed about a foot and was rocking up and down. Fortunately I hit the ladder when the nearest end was down on the pavement, but as I looked in the rearview, the ladder rocked up and impailed the grill of the car behind me (since he was tailgating, I was still holding the other end down). Oops...

16. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

#16 shokunin, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    At least your rep and ego wasn't damaged like this guy

17. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

So what do you have against concrete blocks?