Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove someone else’s Tesla using the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although, shouldn't the car have disabled the drive or at least alerted the driver when BT was no longer within close proximity?
It will allow you to continue the drive until the car is put in park again. You do get a message if the BT device goes out of range. I am not sure if it was persistent on screen. I don't think it was. Make sure if you drop off your significant other than you too actually have your phone or keycard on you. In my case I had earlier switched off bluetooth on my phone before even getting in the car but still had it with me, so no harm.

It will allow you to continue the drive until the car is put in park again. You do get a message if the BT device goes out of range. I am not sure if it was persistent on screen. I don't think it was. Make sure if you drop off your significant other than you too actually have your phone or keycard on you. In my case I had earlier switched off bluetooth on my phone before even getting in the car but still had it with me, so no harm.
I once left my phone on the back window of my M3 whilst I loaded the car up. Drove away and parked 20 minutes later to go to the bank, the phone fell off within two blocks of leaving my office.
I got back to the car and found that it was unlocked - strange. Hop in and go to put it into Drive and got the no key detected message.

I never got a BT Device out of range message, however there might have been a software update since then to fix this.

The screenshot of his text convo doesn’t make sense. And how did the other driver know his number?

But this is the problem with BT phone keys. BT is not good for proximity detection. If the BT signal is strong enough then the car assumes the phone key is present and allows the car to open and start. Unlike normal smart keys that use short range signals with multiple receivers to determine and detect where they key is inside or outside of the vehicle.

Reactions: johnchidgey
But this is the problem with BT phone keys. BT is not good for proximity detection. If the BT signal is strong enough then the car assumes the phone key is present and allows the car to open and start.
This is not how it works. The car has multiple bluetooth antenna and uses differential time-of-flight to work out how close the device is to the car.

Your bluetooth device can be connected to the car, but too far away for proximity unlock (and start/drive) to work. In my testing you had to be within about 2 metres of the car, whereas the bluetooth can connect from about 20m away.

This is not how it works. The car has multiple bluetooth antenna and uses differential time-of-flight to work out how close the device is to the car.

Your bluetooth device can be connected to the car, but too far away for proximity unlock (and start/drive) to work. In my testing you had to be within about 2 metres of the car, whereas the bluetooth can connect from about 20m away.
Whatever the technical details are, it’s largely irrelevant. My point is that the range is still too far to allow unlock and start, especially since it can’t tell if the key is inside or outside of the car, which would improve security.

Imagine if you’re standing or sitting down on the sidewalk near your car. Currently someone can hop in the drivers seat and drive away if you’re close enough.

Reactions: advertisingfre
Whatever the technical details are, it’s largely irrelevant. My point is that the range is still too far to allow unlock and start, especially since it can’t tell if the key is inside or outside of the car, which would improve security.

Imagine if you’re standing or sitting down on the sidewalk near your car. Currently someone can hop in the drivers seat and drive away if you’re close enough.
I belive the car can detect weather the key is in/outside.

Sure hope the car is smart enough to know if the key is inside/outside the car (or at least within 5-10ft). My office shares a wall with my garage, so my phone is in “close-ish” proximity to it very frequently.

Obviously not a deal breaker since the car is in an enclosed garage, but ideally it knows I’m not right next to it and locks/sleeps as I walk inside and sit down at my desk.

The screenshot of his text convo doesn’t make sense. And how did the other driver know his number?

But this is the problem with BT phone keys. BT is not good for proximity detection. If the BT signal is strong enough then the car assumes the phone key is present and allows the car to open and start. Unlike normal smart keys that use short range signals with multiple receivers to determine and detect where they key is inside or outside of the vehicle.
It has little to do with strength. It has multiple Bluetooth transceivers on the car and can triangulate your position. You have to be fairly close to unlock the car. Works absolutely fine.

Reactions: Hairyman
Tesla owner perplexed by technical glitch | A Vancouver Tesla owner says he accidentally got into the wrong car and drove off -- all while using the app on his phone. Paul Johnson reports. More:... | By Global BC | Facebook

This is a real risk, now that it's on FB, a thief could easily steal someone's car. If pin to drive is enabled they can't drive it, but they sure can steal stuff from inside.
Two people walk up to their cars at about the same time and get in, but they get into each others cars by mistake and drive away. I'm not sure how you "easily" steal someone else's car without first owning a Tesla that is the SAME color as the one you wish to steal or break into, and then unlocking both cars at the same time. And, of course, once you are in THEIR can, they are in YOUR car.

Reactions: advertisingfre