Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

e-Bike Hate Picking Up, You Can Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You cite evidence that 1 e-bike does no more damage than 1 regular bike. But do you have any data about how much additional traffic allowing e-bikes would cause? And what the impact of that additional traffic would be?

Just because 1 e-bike is no worse than 1 regular bike doesn't mean that 1 regular bike AND 10 e-bikes isn't worse than 1 regular bike.

Using that logic, even one regular bike should be disallowed as it causes more damage than no bikes.

it has a motor, and two wheels, ergo...

public lands are managed for a variety of users, which I believe would be the scope of this discussion. There are “feet only” trails, There are “equestrian & pedestrian “ trails, there are “human power only” trails, and there are “motor vehicle allowed” trails. I don’t understand why the e-bikers are all butt hurt About being asked to use motor vehicle trails.

E-bike capabilities fall short of non-e-bikes when operated by riders of equal skill and fitness. They make no more noise. They do no more damage to the trails. They aren't even always easily recognizable as being an e-bike. E-bikes do not have the ability to safely stay out of the way of motorized (should be engineized) vehicles on OHV trails, and thus cannot be safely operated there. They perform so closely to a standard bicycle that they should be allowed on bike trails. They are, afterall, bicycles, just with a bit of muscle assist.

We have a class 1 mountain e-bike and it is great. However, I still prefer old-fashioned non e-bike road biking since it's less jarring on my wrists and back.

One concern some might have with an e-bike vs. a regular bike would be the potential to catch fire. Such fires have happened with "hoverboards", cell phones and even Teslas but I haven't really heard of any with e-bikes yet. I'm sure the fire danger is quite rare but if one is out on a remote trail and has an accident severe enough to damage the bike battery and start a fire, things could quickly get out of control.

No doubt a lot more cell phones have caught fire. Let's ban them on trails. :D

Using that logic, even one regular bike should be disallowed as it causes more damage than no bikes.

E-bike capabilities fall short of non-e-bikes when operated by riders of equal skill and fitness. They make no more noise. They do no more damage to the trails. They aren't even always easily recognizable as being an e-bike. E-bikes do not have the ability to safely stay out of the way of motorized (should be engineized) vehicles on OHV trails, and thus cannot be safely operated there. They perform so closely to a standard bicycle that they should be allowed on bike trails. They are, afterall, bicycles, just with a bit of muscle assist.

No doubt a lot more cell phones have caught fire. Let's ban them on trails. :D
giphy.gif

I understand the ban do I agree with it NO If they allow Bikes with electric motors what is to say a motorized scooter couldn't be allowed. Or an electric offroad wheel chair.

I think a line has to be drawn at some point. I liked how Minnesota did it. While not a resident I found the approach or explanation to the handicapped not to be written like it came out of the legislature even though it did. Which usually a layman can never figure out. Pretty understandable. It also stinks to have to carry around a state statute around laminated in your pocket as well just to exercise.

Under eligibility tab.

When you arrive at the DNR facility or land (where the device would not normally be allowed under state law) you may have to provide credible assurance to a DNR employee that the device is used because of a disability. You can demonstrate your eligibility by showing a valid state-issued disability parking placard or card, showing other state-issued proof of disability, or making a verbal representation of the mobility disability not contradicted by facts observed.

Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices on DNR Lands and Facilities

Example:
I think hey I have a doctors note about COPD, yet I don't want to go full on to the Secretary of State to issue a handicapped placard. Some abuse could take place, yet the burden in my thought should not be on people that are disabled.

I know people that take kids on vents for horseback rides. I pity the poor soul that would kick a kid on a ventilator off a scenic pathway no matter the rules(outside of safety). Many times those tools are more for the caregiver than the person using it. Caregivers need to get patients out including themselves.

Last edited:
Huh, I didn’t know these existed. A electric pedal assist might actually allow my out of shape rear to bike near my home again. I got rid of my regular bikes because I live in a hilly area, so every direction is uphill. :rolleyes: Only way I could ride was to drive my bike to a flatter area, which is lame, so I didn’t do it.

I haven’t ever seen or ridden one, but if they are truly just pedal assists, then I would have no heartburn with them on trails with regular bikes.

Whelp, I am now a convert. Picked up my Liv Thrive e-bike on Friday and took her out for an inaugural 8 mile ride in my hilly area. I was going slower than all the other cyclists on the paved bike path, LOL. Not exactly tearing up any of the bike path or causing a danger to others. Pedal assist did exactly what I was hoping for and flattened the hills to something I could manage.

I guess the only criticism I see against e-bikes is they get out of shape folks like me started in the sport and loving it, so more bike traffic on the trails.

There's been a lot of misinformation about eBikes and those who ride them, particularly e-MTB's. These bikes aren't tearing up the trails like MX bikes and they're not being ridden by a bunch of newbies - that may be the case with e-road bikes or casual e-bikes for use on paved paths. The vast majority of e-MTB riders I see and know are very experienced. They typically are getting up in age and want to keep on riding, or want to be able to go for extended ride days for multiple up/down trips without having to worry about running out of energy. You still always have to pedal and you can turn the system off if you don't need the assist.

And frankly, most new MTB riders are looking for a cheap bike to get themselves acclimated to the sport - these things go from $4K for a low-end model to way past $10K. The bikes themselves are quickly changing. Specialized' latest model actually reduced the amount of available torque to lighten the bike and make it more of a natural extension of your own pedaling ability and handle better. This is exactly the kind i'm looking for - just as soon as the price comes down below $5K.

Where I live here in SoCal, the hills are extremely steep in spots and you have to be in exceptionally good shape to ride all the way up or stop and take one or multiple rests. It really sunk in on me when one rider told me he was 65 and still riding, but no longer had to worry about having the energy to get up a steep hill and do another loop. IMO, whatever keeps you going as long and far as you want to go, no matter your age and wherever you ride, is very cool.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Simon Cowell was riding this during his E Bike crash. Ouch from what I read.

Simon Cowell broke his back falling off an electric bicycle - CNN

SWIND EB-01| Smart Wheels - The $21,000 Hyper-Electric Bicycle. — Steemit

Don't understand this usage ever except for motor cross. Looks like a downhill rig. I figured 50 mph was fast going down Mammoth mountain back in the 90's. Must be getting old.
Simons bike is not a Class 1, 2 or 3 ebike. Only pedal assist class 1 ebikes with a max speed of 20mph are being considered for allowance on non motorized trails. Simon’s bike and electric Harley Davidsons are not relevant to the discussion about allowing class 1 ebikes where regular bikes are allowed.

And I’ve personally clocked 47mph on singletrack on my regular mechanical Mtn bike on downhill runs, no pedal assist required

Reactions: SmartElectric
Simons bike is not a Class 1, 2 or 3 ebike. Only pedal assist class 1 ebikes with a max speed of 20mph are being considered for allowance on non motorized trails. Simon’s bike and electric Harley Davidsons are not relevant to the discussion about allowing class 1 ebikes where regular bikes are allowed.

And I’ve personally clocked 47mph on singletrack on my regular mechanical Mtn bike on downhill runs, no pedal assist required

Great point. Find it completely relevant then. It shows that in the minds of some that this is what would be used. When it is not as you say even being proposed. As you say in the first post of this thread. "Ignorance"

Kudos to you on the downhill run. Same here.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtnrunner
What's an eBike good for anyway, except for lazily peddling around on surface streets and bike paths. Yeah, they are neat and environmental friendly for short trips to the grocery store, visit friends and tool around local parks. And if you want to mix it in with mountain bikes, wherever they can go, I'm all for it. But accessibility on wilderness hiking trails makes no sense. The idea of these trails is to venture on them as far as you're capable and willing to go, regardless of physical conditioning and/or disability. You can walk, be carried, or even pushed if wheel-chair bound. Nature doesn't guarantee that you can make it over the pass, no matter how physically capable you are.

So, leave your eBike behind and enjoy nature as it was meant to be.

What's an eBike good for anyway, except for lazily peddling around on surface streets and bike paths. Yeah, they are neat and environmental friendly for short trips to the grocery store, visit friends and tool around local parks. And if you want to mix it in with mountain bikes, wherever they can go, I'm all for it. But accessibility on wilderness hiking trails makes no sense. The idea of these trails is to venture on them as far as you're capable and willing to go, regardless of physical conditioning and/or disability. You can walk, be carried, or even pushed if wheel-chair bound. Nature doesn't guarantee that you can make it over the pass, no matter how physically capable you are.

This might help you understand the sport in general. The discussion is about allowing ebikes where regular bikes can ride, it’s not about allowing bikes of any kind terrorizing hikers. My army vet eMTB riding partner who lost most of both of his legs might have a stronger opinion.

While I understand what might be your immediate reaction to this, I think we can all agree that our public lands are just that - public. Everyone should have equal access to them, and if that means they need to ride an e-bike to experience a longer trail, so be it. Nobody likes crowded trails, but that's not a good motivator for keeping others out of nature. It is, however, a good motivator for funding more trails and more public lands.

I imagine if something happened to me and I lost my physical capacity. Anything that would allow me to push myself within my own limits and see the most of nature would be much appreciated, and I'd be really bummed to see people saying I couldn't participate to the same degree because my physical abilities didn't match theirs.

E-hiking assist pants, anyone?