Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Coming Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or just turn on turn signal. Like everything with these cars, you can do it all yourself, it’s just a convenience thing. Auto lane change isn’t worth $4k, but that’s not all that EAP is though. There are 4 things in EAP. I might pay $1k for auto lane change, I’d have to ponder.
I thought it was auto lane change, auto park, and one other thing that I can't remember even, but it was something I would never use... what are the 3rd and 4th things it does? I have had auto park on cars before, never used it, can't remember the 3rd and 4th thing, so I doubt they were important to me... so the only "interesting" thing for me in EAP is auto lane change, and that isn't worth $4,000 for me.

Keith

PS: Don't get me wrong, I hope EAP comes back for the people who want it :)

To me auto lane change isn't worth $4,000.

1. click up to shut off AP and immediately click down once to re-engage adaptive cruise
2. put on blinker and change lanes
3. click down again into AP

Am I missing something?

Keith
My wife sleeps during any car trip more than 30 minutes or so. She actually looks forward to road trips so she can get a long nap! Although I can crank the stereo while she is sleeping, she says the ding of the AP turning on and off wakes her up. Does not appear there is any way to silence the ding? I would not spend $4k just to allow her better sleep, but auto lane change would be a nice feature to have.

1. click up to shut off AP and immediately click down once to re-engage adaptive cruise

Am I missing something?

Keith
Just turn on the turn signal and AP automatically disengages with adaptive cruise staying active. Move over and enable AP again.

I thought it was auto lane change, auto park, and one other thing that I can't remember even, but it was something I would never use... what are the 3rd and 4th things it does? I have had auto park on cars before, never used it, can't remember the 3rd and 4th thing, so I doubt they were important to me... so the only "interesting" thing for me in EAP is auto lane change, and that isn't worth $4,000 for me.

Keith

PS: Don't get me wrong, I hope EAP comes back for the people who want it :)
Navigate on Autopilot, Auto lane change, autopark and summon are all in EAP (or were, last time it was available). I wouldn't use summon and I heard autopark was awful. So I would definitely be interested in "a la carte" option picking, to get auto lane change and possibly NOA. But I doubt that it will get to that granular level any time soon, unfortunately.

On the other hand, there will be the subscription FSD option. If it's about $100 a month that makes more sense than buying it for $10K. I only plan on keeping my Y for 3 years due to technology advancements that seem to be greatest at the 3-year mark with Tesla's.
If FSD really is going up to $14k I can't imagine they would release the subscription at $100/mo. The breakeven point would be over 11 years down the road... Elon has constantly said that buying it out right would be a *MUCH* better deal. I figure that means the breakeven point will be somewhere around 5 to 7 years, but I would think more towards 5. That way lease people still get a cheaper deal with the subscription (plus they can take it to the next car) but at the same time customers that plan on keeping the car (likely keeping it longer than 5 years) see the "discount." I would be curious how long the average Tesla owner keeps his car, but I suspect it's less than 10 years. 10 year old cars might be on the road, but they're probably on to the second or third owner at that point.

Five year break even if it stays at $10k would be about $165/mo (~$235/mo if they do increase to $14k)
Seven year break even would be $120/mo (~$165 if they do increase)

I suspect higher than $100/mo but maybe not $200.... maybe $150 to $175 a month in cost, maybe they'll bundle premium connectivity in with it or something...

Edit: If the price doesn't change, at $165/mo with a 36 month lease you're paying almost 60% of the FSD price, which seems about right. You're certainly not getting it "cheap" (otherwise everyone would do this plan), but it seems "affordable" for a lease owner. Most residuals on a lease are like high 40% to low 60%, so you're paying a bit more on FSD but not all that much compared to the overall residual value of the leased vehicle.

Edit Edit: What will be really interesting is how they handle extra features being added, though I'm not sure how many new features could be isolated once city streets show up. Would everyone on the monthly plan get those features for the same price. Would they be grandfathered into the existing price and features but if they want new features the monthly bill would increase, or would it just automatically increase the monthly bill and if they want to continue monthly they must pay the higher rate. Would there be any discount on buying FSD flat out... say if you decide to buy your lease at the end, would you get credited for all the months of FSD?

Last edited:

Am I missing something?

Keith
Yes.

With TACC and Auto steer on, if you want to change lane, you just need to put on turn indicator (push/pull fully). This will disengage auto steering only, allowing you to change lane with TACC still engaged. After lane change, click down twice to engage auto steer again.

Yes.

With TACC and Auto steer on, if you want to change lane, you just need to put on turn indicator (push/pull fully). This will disengage auto steering only, allowing you to change lane with TACC still engaged. After lane change, click down twice to engage auto steer again.
Cool, thanks for the information... I will try and remember this when I finally pick up my car several months from now :)

Keith

Well, given now that NHTSA and IIHS have dropped their top ratings for Tesla until the new Tesla Vision system can be tested, all the pressure is on Tesla now. This means actually delivering a system, which I don't believe any of Elon's tweets. Second, they have to stop hitting large objects on the highway. Failed this test with radar, and supposed to be better with all camera? I'm sorry, but it is getting very difficult to believe this is going to end well, and for the price they are asking, we STILL don't know how this system will function for basic tasks, especially in bad weather, when sun is blinding the cameras, etc. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ford, VW, and GM really have a chance to catch up or even leap-frog if this goes sideways for Tesla.

Training a computer vision model to perform well in a range of scenarios is challenging. Training it to cover all edge cases is close to impossible. Too many variables, and I'm not even accounting for software bugs/failures. Blinding sun, reflecting objects such as large white box trucks, snow, fog, etc. in my opinion will render the trained computer vision model useless, or at least so inaccurate that it is useless. There is no new AI/ML magic here. Tesla is training computer vision models, which create bounding boxes around objects in which the model has high confidence it detects, and then software makes choices based on what these CV models "see", such as what it believes the object is, and what action to take. You can't train a model for every scenario, even with billions of miles of driving data. Without radar as a backup sensor, which is already secondary to LiDAR, the choice to go all-in feels to me like "we're committed to cameras come hell or high water." No other vendor in the world seems to be going this direction, and even worse, legislation, which is out of Tesla's control, could squash their best-laid plans, no matter how much Elon sends angry tweets. I would love to see Tesla succeed here, but it is hard not to be concerned. I'm also wondering if my June 2020 build will abandon the use of the existing radar systems in the next update. If that is the case, and the system isn't working out well, watch the trolls react, and I'd seriously consider moving to another brand at that point, and hope that my resale value doesn't drop to the floor. I love my MY, but I need the safety systems to work well, and work predictably.

Last edited:
Navigate on Autopilot, Auto lane change, autopark and summon are all in EAP (or were, last time it was available). I wouldn't use summon and I heard autopark was awful. So I would definitely be interested in "a la carte" option picking, to get auto lane change and possibly NOA. But I doubt that it will get to that granular level any time soon, unfortunately.
Autopark and simple summon are occasionally useful, IMHO. I think Tesla shouldn't have smart summon in EAP.

Navigate-on-Autopilot (NoA) allows the car to basically drive itself on roadtrips. It will even navigate most freeway intersections.

NoA allows the car to know where it's going, so it doesn't get tricked by Freeway exits.

Note: We still don't use the automatic lane change option. The car will recommend lane changes, and then the driver touches the indicator to accept the recommendation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru

Am I missing something?

Keith

Agreed. I'm trying to conceptualize how many times I'll lane change out of AP during the 3-4 years I'm likely to own the car. Maybe 400-800? I tend to only use AP on longer drives. Would I be willing to drop a $5 or $10 bill in a jar every time I use that function?

Autopark and simple summon are occasionally useful, IMHO. I think Tesla shouldn't have smart summon in EAP.

Navigate-on-Autopilot (NoA) allows the car to basically drive itself on roadtrips. It will even navigate most freeway intersections.

NoA allows the car to know where it's going, so it doesn't get tricked by Freeway exits.

Note: We still don't use the automatic lane change option. The car will recommend lane changes, and then the driver touches the indicator to accept the recommendation.
What can FSD do that NoA can't?

I think it would be sweet if there were options that were priced at $1k each. Like $1k for traffic light recognition, $1k for auto lane change. Bet they would sell a ton.

Also, if auto park and smart summon were truly auto park and smart summon...as in, I get out in front of a store and the car parks itself, then it picks me up at the exit when I call it, I’d buy it for $4k. That’s a game changer to me.

• Funny
Reactions: DaddysCar
For $4k I may consider EAP. All I really want is Auto Lane Change. Having to disengage AP to change lanes is annoying.
You'll also enjoy Overtake Acceleration. This is a feature that I believe should be part of basic TACC, but Tesla has decided to include it in the optional packages. I really miss the way my previous Subaru with Eyesight would begin to accelerate as soon as I signalled a lane change. I played around with it on a loaner with FSD this week and found that it also works in the opposite mode, i.e. when pulling in behind a slower-moving vehicle. With this feature, the car begins to decelerate more gradually than the basic TACC, which continues to close on the vehicle in front then decelerates abruptly once you're in the middle of the lane.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
My wife sleeps during any car trip more than 30 minutes or so. She actually looks forward to road trips so she can get a long nap! Although I can crank the stereo while she is sleeping, she says the ding of the AP turning on and off wakes her up. Does not appear there is any way to silence the ding? I would not spend $4k just to allow her better sleep, but auto lane change would be a nice feature to have.
This is what "Joe Mode" was created for -- it reduces the chime volume. Some guy named "Joe" complained that it woke his kids up. You'll find it under "safety and security" in settings.

Reactions: mcmcn