Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's gonna be a "nah" from me. I drive 10ish minutes each way to my business, which I think makes it even more useless to me. I've been "messing around" with AP since I got the car about a month ago...that's about it. I do think it's very cool just the way it is.

When I first saw this yesterday I read up on NoA, and I STILL don't get it. The feature takes the car "from on ramp to off ramp"...can someone please explain what the hell that actually means?? I already have AP, so it's an extra $4k to have the car exit the highway by itself, and then tell me to take over immediately after??? lol. Hard pass...and the other features just seem so gimmicky to me.

As for FSD... don't even get me started. If it actually did what its name suggested and drove fully, by itself, I would INSTANTLY drop the $8k... and obviously so would many, many other people. It's utter nonsense IMHO to ask $8k for a feature that might come out in 3-5 (or more) years from now.

Hell, it could be feature complete in only 3 more years and still take another few years minimum for regulatory approval - they will NOT enable it until they get full RA - so you're looking at a minimum of 5 years.

And please don't give me that "I'm investing in Tesla's future" nonsense. That sounds like a PR sound byte aimed at ppl that have no idea about investing. lol If you want to invest like those of us who are actually making money, I'd highly recommend putting the $8k into their stock instead. I DO have faith in the company (I own TSLA stock), hence I'm actually making money based on said faith by directly investing.

You will likely make at least 3-5x ROI by the time FSD is fully available and allowed (my guess is ~5 years). So, would you rather have a $16k - $32k net ROI by the time FSD is released, or give a $8k interest-free 5yr loan to Tesla Inc? (with arguably a negative ROI due to the loss in interest). :confused::confused:

If the 5x(+) ROI is fully realized you could almost buy another M3. Come on guys...

Genuine question here but what's so great about automatic lane change? Safer than shoulder checks?

Current TACC disengages if you change lanes (least my car would). With auto lane change, you signal you want to change a lane (while on AP) and the car safely makes the change w/o disengaging cruise etc. Presumably it's safer? It's a bit more convenient.

Genuine question here but what's so great about automatic lane change? Safer than shoulder checks?
You still should do shoulder checks. What makes it useful is that on long highway drives, where you often need to change lanes, constantly having to dis- and re-engage Autopilot becomes annoying. Just setting the blinker is much smoother (I almost never use Navigate on Autopilot though because it often behaves stupidly). I'd agree with others that auto lane change is currently the only feature of EAP (and even FSD) that has real practical value. I never use Summon or auto park.

Background: I bought my car with EAP in 2018 when the free basic Autopilot didn't exist, and couldn't resist buying FSD when it briefly dropped to $2k last year (I like that I got the computer upgrade, but otherwise the few FSD-only features so far also have no practical value).

Not shocked to see this option. Tesla has been calling me non stop for a week now since I cancelled my MY order strongly encouraging me to re-order... saying I could still take delivery by Sept 30 and they’d give me $100 in accessories to cover the new order fee. If they offered auto lane change for $500-$1000 I might bite. Pass on the EAP for me.

Summon is a party trick you’ll use 1 time. You can walk to the car and be halfway home by the time your summoned car gets to you. And I’ve had auto park in 3 vehicles and used it maybe twice. You can park quicker yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoX750 and rlb4
In the past, how long do things like this stay available? Until the end of the month/quarter? So another week or so?
The email says only til September 30th. However, I’d bet good money that the deal will come back. They initially offered basic autopilot for $2k but it only lasted for a couple of weeks then the price went up to $3K. A few months later it went back down to $2K.

I have EAP on my 2018 Model 3. I park my Ducati in front of the Model 3. I frequently use summon to back the car out of the garage for access to the motorcycle. I use it to move the car back in the garage after getting the motorcycle out of the garage. Getting into the car with motorcycle gear on is not easy. I don't have EAP on my 2020 Long Range + Model S. I greatly miss the auto lane change. I would never use summon on my Model S since I back it into the garage with the passenger side very close to the garage wall.

On a recent trip up I-5 in CA AP was frustrating with all the traffic and required lane changes. Keeping AP engaged while making lane changes would have been greatly appreciated.

I am not sure how I will use Navigate on Autopilot after I upgrade. I use my Model S mostly for long road trips and would not care about using AP on city streets.

On my last trip AP worked the best in light traffic on 2 lane roads. After using AP on long road trips, I would never want to drive a vehicle on a long road trip without it.

• Love
Reactions: Spacep0d

I use the "no confirmation" option on NOA, so NOA initiates and completes all lane changes. It also automatically merges onto the freeway and takes exits. I supervise (and occasionally take over), which I find much more relaxing than doing the actual driving. Plus it's fun to watch the car do its thing.

Last edited:
I suspect that @vickh is saying something like "I thought all cars past April of 2019 came with HW 3, but my car purchased in May of 2019 has HW 2.5. Tesla promised me HW 3 and I feel I am entitled to it, even if I dont purchase FSD".

Im just guessing, but suspect that is what they are talking about. Not "I purchased FSD and havent been upgraded yet" which is the question you are answering.

I read his comment to say he'd actually been promised it in writing.

I've seen a couple of people entitled to AP3 who were waiting for Tesla to schedule them, which used to be necessary, but nowadays you just schedule yourself.

It's a start....... just break up FSD in pieces and make it transfarable (or cheap enough so you just write it off). You want HW3 or HW4, buy it (non-tranferable anyway).

I do not need autopark and summon on the highway (what's the logic? ).

Always thought including Smart Summon in EAP was a mistake by Tesla.

However, self-park makes sense and it's actually really useful.