Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize this isn't news but now that "I" have to drive from Toronto to Halifax on February 26, I realize what a gaping hole in Supercharger coverage New Brunswick is.

I plan on cutting through Maine and overnighting in Moncton (if I can make it). I have the adapter so Truro's Chademo option is welcome.

Good news for everyone else, a Supercharger has always opened just AFTER I needed it. So, perhaps Elon will surprise is with one. :p

There is an "all Canadian" route that reduces the distance between DC chargers (but may be a longer distance, overall).

Rivière-du-Loup Supercharger 308 km to
CDSMML Pointe-à-la-Croix Circuit Electrique CHAdeMO DCFC 4 boul. Perron Ouest, Pointe-à-la-Croix, Québec G0C 1L0 473 km to
Hampton Inn CHAdeMO DCFC 35 Legends Avenue, Millbrook, NS B6L 0C9

Saves almost 120 km of Level 2 charging, relative to making the trip to the Hampton Inn from the Brewer Supercharger. Based on my experience with our 2012 Model S BSC (before Superchargers) you can do better than the Ideal Range with careful driving on secondary roads in the summer). I suspect that we could make that leg in the summer in our 90D and note that there is a high capacity Level 2 Sun Country Unit at the Sackville Visitor Information Centre for a top up on the way to Truro.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
There's a shorter route, but it's not for the faint of heart in the winter.

Head for the Supercharger in Magog, then range charge overnight in Sherbrooke. Sherbrooke to Sugarloaf Resort 154km, Sugarloaf to Brewer 162km. There's a HPWC for public use at the resort, and it's a fun place to grab a coffee.

Driving straight through is nearly doable my 70D around 0ºC and partly snowy roads, but you wouldn't want to get stuck on the mountain pass with a dead battery. When I did it I charged for 90 minutes at Sugarloaf and arrived at Brewer with 7%.

Thank you @rypalmer and @RichardC for the tips. Those are two options I had not considered.

Head for the Supercharger in Magog, then range charge overnight in Sherbrooke. Sherbrooke to Sugarloaf Resort 154km, Sugarloaf to Brewer 162km. There's a HPWC for public use at the resort, and it's a fun place to grab a coffee.

I don't understand why you'd overnight in Sherbrook when it's so close to a supercharger. I assume you are avoiding actually staying at Sugarloaf due to cost or availability. But with Sherbrook only 36 km from Magog, you'd even be better off stopping at a random hotel between Magog and Brewer. Even with a wall plug you'd get 42km or more over a 7-hour sleep.

Still, super advice and very welcome. This is probably my new current favourite and hopefully doable in my X 90D

Rivière-du-Loup Supercharger 308 km to
CDSMML Pointe-à-la-Croix Circuit Electrique CHAdeMO DCFC 4 boul. Perron Ouest, Pointe-à-la-Croix, Québec G0C 1L0 473 km to
Hampton Inn CHAdeMO DCFC 35 Legends Avenue, Millbrook, NS B6L 0C9

It does look like a longer overall distance but I see where you are going with it. The question is whether the longer distance on a route with better chargers is faster than just enjoying a night's sleep in (my current best guess Amsterdam Inn) Sussex, NB.

I think I will go through Magog, QC Supercharger and then a direct road to Augusta Maine Supercharger. That means crossing the border at Canaan (???).

That's the plan at least.

That's the route I did back in November with my Model S 90D heading back to Ottawa from Fredericton. From Augusta to Magog, there's lots of winding roads, small cities to cross, hills, changes in speed limits but I didn't need anything else than the supercharger network to get back. It was a bit of a long drive and about 5-10C during the trip, could have considered Brewer -> Lac Mégantic CHAdeMO -> Magog for next time.

Thank you @rypalmer and @RichardC for the tips. Those are two options I had not considered.

I don't understand why you'd overnight in Sherbrook when it's so close to a supercharger. I assume you are avoiding actually staying at Sugarloaf due to cost or availability. But with Sherbrook only 36 km from Magog, you'd even be better off stopping at a random hotel between Magog and Brewer. Even with a wall plug you'd get 42km or more over a 7-hour sleep.

Still, super advice and very welcome. This is probably my new current favourite and hopefully doable in my X 90D

It does look like a longer overall distance but I see where you are going with it. The question is whether the longer distance on a route with better chargers is faster than just enjoying a night's sleep in (my current best guess Amsterdam Inn) Sussex, NB.
There is very little anything between Sherbrooke and Sugarloaf. Not charging to 100% at the Magog SC saves quite a bit of time, and for me this broke up the drive nicely. Sherbrooke to Sussex via Brewer was a full day of driving, and that was as far as I could expect to get into NB on Day 2 regardless.

Amsterdam Inns are awesome btw. They all have 2 chargers, free breakfast, and are very good value always. Very reliable.

Drove by Lawrence SC last night at 10pm. Map showed 2 stalls available out of 8.
Fact was that 0 stalls were available.
There is the one with a red coat over it ( for nearly a year ) and a car parked in the spot.
There was one Tesla parked at a stall but not plugged in
and one owner charging ( who was present ).
The other 5 were occupied by plugged in service cars but not charging.

So, as a net result this is a one stall Supercharger. Is the Service Centre being charged the 50 cents / minute idling fee??

Drove by Lawrence SC last night at 10pm. Map showed 2 stalls available out of 8.
Fact was that 0 stalls were available.
There is the one with a red coat over it ( for nearly a year ) and a car parked in the spot.
There was one Tesla parked at a stall but not plugged in
and one owner charging ( who was present ).
The other 5 were occupied by plugged in service cars but not charging.

So, as a net result this is a one stall Supercharger. Is the Service Centre being charged the 50 cents / minute idling fee??
They probably are and Tesla negates the charge automatically.
Something really needs to be done about this.
Out of habit now, if there are other Teslas there, I always walk up to them to check they are plugged in.
Not much I can do except leaving a nice "Icing" note on their windshield.

Reactions: Falkirk

To be fair, that 'redcoat' is relatively new. Stall 2a was covered off and on for the better part of 6 months. Now the redcoat has moved further down the row to 3b I think.

I stopped by Lawrence last night after the Oakville opening and all functional chargers were full with two more cars waiting in line. Surprisingly, most of those charging cars did have the glowing face of an owner playing with their phone/tablet. I didn't wait.

Edit: So, I must be exhausted because I forgot to plug in my car when I got home. I realized that at 3am with 35km range and falling due to cold. So, I am back at Lawrence to charge before work (perpetuating the exhaustion).

1) The redcoat has been moved, but to 2b. So, @mrElbe is technically accurate in saying the same unit has been broken for almost a year.
2) All other chargers are empty. So, no service vehicles or other overnighters are here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and mrElbe
To be fair, that 'redcoat' is relatively new. Stall 2a was covered off and on for the better part of 6 months. Now the redcoat has moved further down the row to 3b I think.

I stopped by Lawrence last night after the Oakville opening and all functional chargers were full with two more cars waiting in line. Surprisingly, most of those charging cars did have the glowing face of an owner playing with their phone/tablet. I didn't wait.

Edit: So, I must be exhausted because I forgot to plug in my car when I got home. I realized that at 3am with 35km range and falling due to cold. So, I am back at Lawrence to charge before work (perpetuating the exhaustion).

1) The redcoat has been moved, but to 2b. So, @mrElbe is technically accurate in saying the same unit has been broken for almost a year.
2) All other chargers are empty. So, no service vehicles or other overnighters are here.
2B or not 2B, that is the question! Lol
If you realized at 3 am you forgot to charge, why didn't you get up and charge then?
Would have given you a full charge by 6 am unless you're home charged us 110V.
I have my timer set to 3:30 am always anyway so the battery is warm in the morning.

Reactions: Falkirk
Since it's becoming less convenient or even impossible for some Canadian residents to cross the border with the USA, Tesla should accelerate the deployment of Superchargers on the Trans Canada. You shouldn't have to leave Canada to go from Toronto to Halifax or to Sault Ste Marie.
Unfortunately that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Canada is way down on the priority list for Tesla. Even the 2017 SC map projections for Canada I feel won't happen until at least 2020.
I truly think the much needed Ottawa region won't get a SC until that time either.