Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it's becoming less convenient or even impossible for some Canadian residents to cross the border with the USA, Tesla should accelerate the deployment of Superchargers on the Trans Canada. You shouldn't have to leave Canada to go from Toronto to Halifax or to Sault Ste Marie.

Hear hear!

We should be able to drive (at least) from Halifax to Victoria without going into the USA.

And, frankly, even though it's a longer distance to do Toronto to Halifax on the Transcanada than it is do it through the USA, it is FASTER, because the Transcanada is one, long, fast highway, whereas in the US, you must cut through eastern Maine to make the trip shorter, and those roads are way slower.

Unfortunately that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Canada is way down on the priority list for Tesla. Even the 2017 SC map projections for Canada I feel won't happen until at least 2020.
I truly think the much needed Ottawa region won't get a SC until that time either.

I actually think there is at least a 50/50 chance that private companies or even provincial governments will install fast DC chargers in the maritimes before Tesla does. We are rapidly approaching a tipping point in electric car sales/awareness. It's still a few years away, but I have stopped hoping Tesla will get on the maritimes bandwagon in less than a few years so... And once private companies start building out fast chargers, I think Tesla is going to scale back their deployment drastically.

What? What? WHAT?

Oakville is open?

I went to NJ last weekend, drove by and pointed it out to my gf on the way home. I didn't know it's open. Are there no chargers there? It's not on the maps is it?
I was at the grand opening last week. No external SuperChargers installed in Oakville. I hope that changes in the future, but it doesn't bode well considering that they didn't install them from the beginning.

I was at the grand opening last week. No external SuperChargers installed in Oakville. I hope that changes in the future, but it doesn't bode well considering that they didn't install them from the beginning.
I dropped by on Saturday to take a look, and was also surprised there were no chargers outside whatsoever.

Count me as someone who, like many in the GTA, will likely never have charging at home. I am permanently beholden to public L2 and L3 charging, and public L2 charging is really only practical for me at my workplace. If Tesla can't be a role model in this regard by offering at least some L2 charging on site, I'm worried not many others will either.

One glaring issue precluding this is them having no good way to recover costs from L2 charging they offer in unrestricted areas. There will be few freebies left by the time the Model 3 is released to the masses. The Tesla proprietary connector would really redeem itself if it ends up handling HPWC authentication in that regard.

Hopefully we'll see a HPWC upgrade along these lines soon, so that offering charging is seen as more sustainable.

Reactions: Falkirk
Lawrence Ave SC is a disaster for the people who really need it. Lots of sales and service cars tying up the stalls and very little movement otherwise. It added hours to my drive today and there were many others waiting. Nobody was very pleased.

My bad for not charging at work the day before a long drive but damn, the level of planning required shouldn't always have to be that precise and unforgiving. This is going to scare a lot of people away.

Lawrence Ave SC is a disaster for the people who really need it. Lots of sales and service cars tying up the stalls and very little movement otherwise. It added hours to my drive today and there were many others waiting. Nobody was very pleased.

My bad for not charging at work the day before a long drive but damn, the level of planning required shouldn't always have to be that precise and unforgiving. This is going to scare a lot of people away.
When that happens to me, I just walk in to the service department and tell them to move one if their cars NOW!
They always do and are apologetic!
Sometimes you have to put your foot down with these guys!

• Helpful
Reactions: RedP85+ and Falkirk
Just a thought - Oakville SC don't want to put a Supercharger in their location because they are citing potential congestion issues. I certainly hope they do change their minds.

With regards to local charging, sometimes (very rarely), I have either miscalculated the range I needed for the day and I would love access to a quick charge. I propose that Tesla limit the owners within 100 km of the SC to only 10 - 15 min of charge. That should allow them to get back home to charge or carry on with their day. Those that have registered addresses beyond the 100 km geofence can charge as per usual. The same idle fees would apply to all parties.

In that way, people won't sit and hog the stations. Thoughts?

Even having only 2 - 4 stalls with a 15 min limit would be helpful IMHO.

Reactions: vandacca
My Dad is getting his X90D delivered in New Brunswick next week. He has made me aware that Tesla will be delivering 5 cars in the maritimes next week. It does not sounds like much, but it is nice to know. Hopefully Tesla will be noticing that there is land east of Québec! xD Still hoping for Woodstock, NB!

Ordered late last summer, the car has been "ready" for months, but I think Tesla was waiting to ship a larger load of vehicles by grouping orders together.

My Dad is getting his X90D delivered in New Brunswick next week. He has made me aware that Tesla will be delivering 5 cars in the maritimes next week. It does not sounds like much, but it is nice to know. Hopefully Tesla will be noticing that there is land east of Québec! xD Still hoping for Woodstock, NB!

Ordered late last summer, the car has been "ready" for months, but I think Tesla was waiting to ship a larger load of vehicles by grouping orders together.

I'm from NB and travel up there each summer for 6 weeks. Not sure what part of the province your Dad is in, but there are a few Tesla destination chargers in the province (Edmundston, Fredericton, St. Andrews, Moncton). There are a few L2 chargers in the area - including a new one from NB Power at Brundage Point. (that one is an odd choice...)

The province is in dire need of some DC fast charger options in all major cities.

Reactions: rypalmer
I'm from NB and travel up there each summer for 6 weeks. Not sure what part of the province your Dad is in, but there are a few Tesla destination chargers in the province (Edmundston, Fredericton, St. Andrews, Moncton). There are a few L2 chargers in the area - including a new one from NB Power at Brundage Point. (that one is an odd choice...)

The province is in dire need of some DC fast charger options in all major cities.

My dad lives in Edmundston, I live in Fredericton. Yup he is aware of the Tesla Destination, having put 2 at his own business after I hassled him for a few months. Took much longer to convince him to buy a Tesla! xD

I agree, the province is in dire need of L3 chargers. We will get them, I am sure. The stars are slowly aligning, and things will fall into place :)

EDIT: Watch out for when this gets announced! I am hopeful to see investments in the prairies, western Ontario and on the east coast, where the infrastructure is not already in place. Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative | Natural Resources Canada

In the News and Updates section you will find that only a tiny part of the total budget has been allocated.

Last edited:
I propose that Tesla limit the owners within 100 km of the SC to only 10 - 15 min of charge. That should allow them to get back home to charge or carry on with their day. Those that have registered addresses beyond the 100 km geofence can charge as per usual. The same idle fees would apply to all parties.

In that way, people won't sit and hog the stations. Thoughts?

As Ryan pointed out, even local owners may need to charge on an outbound long distance journey, and shouldn't be restricted for that reasons.

The bigger issue is that most people live in cities. Cities want high density. That means many people (like Ryan and I) live in condos. In the short term, there is no way we can force our condo boards to install chargers, so we are often stuck with charging at the local superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
My dad lives in Edmundston, I live in Fredericton. Yup he is aware of the Tesla Destination, having put 2 at his own business after I hassled him for a few months. Took much longer to convince him to buy a Tesla! xD

I agree, the province is in dire need of L3 chargers. We will get them, I am sure. The stars are slowly aligning, and things will fall into place :)

EDIT: Watch out for when this gets announced! I am hopeful to see investments in the prairies, western Ontario and on the east coast, where the infrastructure is not already in place. Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative | Natural Resources Canada

In the News and Updates section you will find that only a tiny part of the total budget has been allocated.

My mother lives in Moncton for the summer (Florida for the winter). She has been saying she may put a outdoor L2 charger/outlet on her house for me when I visit in the summers.

I'm half thinking of listing it on plugshare for the winter when she's gone so people can stop by and steal her electricity. ;-)

My mother lives in Moncton for the summer (Florida for the winter). She has been saying she may put a outdoor L2 charger/outlet on her house for me when I visit in the summers.

I'm half thinking of listing it on plugshare for the winter when she's gone so people can stop by and steal her electricity. ;-)

My Dad installed one at his place near Saint John for us and I've pondered the same... but when he's home!