Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged at the maximum rate of 88kW in Woodstock Ontario yesterday.
That is the peak rate for an "A-pack" original Tesla S battery from 2012 and early 2013.

The in-car charging status showed 6 of 8 free a few minutes before we arrived, and indeed there were two cars charging when we arrived.

In the 40 minutes we were there, 5 Tesla's charged, overlapping for 20 minutes or so with 3 peak, and then only one remained when we left.

About 30 minutes after leaving Woodstock the status changed to 1 car charging.

Very very happy with Tesla superchargers. They really make a difference.

Are we going to see any new SC's in Canada at all this year?
I am beginning to doubt it.

I know this is an Eastern Canada thread, but I keep responding to a similar quote from the same person regarding no superchargers in all of Canada and so would just like to gently remind that there might be another one under construction in Calgary. I know you have trouble believing it as you seem to keep posting about all of Canada (over and over ...), but there might be another one being built at the Service Centre I'm Calgary.

I know this is an Eastern Canada thread, but I keep responding to a similar quote from the same person regarding no superchargers in all of Canada and so would just like to gently remind that there might be another one under construction in Calgary. I know you have trouble believing it as you seem to keep posting about all of Canada (over and over ...), but there might be another one being built at the Service Centre I'm Calgary.
You say "might be". I wonder if it can be confirmed whether or not there will be a Supercharger available at the service centre in Calgary for public use. But even if so, it does not negate the impression that there is seemingly little, or possibly no activity, in Canada in the build out of Superchargers.

Reactions: Drone Flyer
Charged at the maximum rate of 88kW in Woodstock Ontario yesterday.
That is the peak rate for an "A-pack" original Tesla S battery from 2012 and early 2013.

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen that high on my poor old A-pack. I think the highest I've seen is around 75 kW when my SOC was around 15-20%.Not sure if I've asked you before, but do you ever get any fan action from the car when charging? I never, ever have.

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen that high on my poor old A-pack. I think the highest I've seen is around 75 kW when my SOC was around 15-20%.Not sure if I've asked you before, but do you ever get any fan action from the car when charging? I never, ever have.

I don't know my pack designation (I should look it up) but my '15 P85D makes noises most of the time. The fan level is most quiet when I am "trickle" charging at home but when I crank it up to 40A, I do hear a small fan running in the front. When I am at a SC and it is going full tilt at 100+ KW, my fan noise is much louder. It's not screaming mind you but you can look up one of KMAN's youtube videos and you will see the thermal effects. Pretty neat.

On our March break road trip (Toronto - Miami), we had a delay in SC in Pennsylvania when the car was had a cold soak overnight and the battery needed to be warmed (my mistake, we got in very late so we let it sit overnight and charged it in the morning). Some small fan and clicking noises as the car sorted itself out. Delay was approx 15 min before full charging kicked in. In Charlotte and south Florida, we had heavy fan action (I presume cooling) when we plugged in to a SC but not at a hotel (level II) charger. I'm told this was normal by Tesla staff.

Would think that even though it is early one would at least get an indication of permitting being started. But nothing so far.

I'm optimistic. They did most of what they planned last year. There were some carried over to this year and I expect that we will see those going into place. There have been a lot of instances where the SC was half (more more) built and nobody even realized it because Tesla is so closed-lipped about where they're putting these things.

I'm optimistic. They did most of what they planned last year. There were some carried over to this year and I expect that we will see those going into place. There have been a lot of instances where the SC was half (more more) built and nobody even realized it because Tesla is so closed-lipped about where they're putting these things.
Exactly - and not only that, but the 2017 map added several locations in Ontario - I believe there at least two additional SCs in the GTA that were not on the previous map. I don't see why they wouldn't add those. And the Sudbury and North Bay SCs have been on the map for several years so I am guessing that they get to those and that the same crew can also work on the Ottawa and Petawawa (or wherever that other one is along the Ottawa River) since that is in the vicinity of North Bay.

Exactly - and not only that, but the 2017 map added several locations in Ontario - I believe there at least two additional SCs in the GTA that were not on the previous map. I don't see why they wouldn't add those. And the Sudbury and North Bay SCs have been on the map for several years so I am guessing that they get to those and that the same crew can also work on the Ottawa and Petawawa (or wherever that other one is along the Ottawa River) since that is in the vicinity of North Bay.
Sorry, I cannot be so sanguine. The Woodstock, New Brunswick, site was on the map for several years then disappeared. The series of SC's going up towards Winnipeg have been on the map for a few years and have yet to be built. I just think they should not be getting the hopes up of people and not follow through. It is far better to have more realistic projections than to dash the hopes of people. Everything else about this company thrills me to pieces; like the solar roof shingles and the Power Wall. Love my car and expect the Model III to be great, but I am not thinking of making the III our second car until I see real action, and just spots on the map on the SC front.

In some ways getting the hopes up is the core competence of Tesla, but they generally do follow through, albeit years behind schedule.
Well I am a perfect example of why that can be detrimental because I did not wait for the Model III but recently bought a Chevy Volt, which is a great little car, mainly because of the disappointing SC situation. I did not want to be faced with hour long lineups at Superchargers because of a deluge of Model III's without a concomitant build out of Superchargers to accommodate them.

I did not want to be faced with hour long lineups at Superchargers because of a deluge of Model III's without a concomitant build out of Superchargers to accommodate them.
It will be interesting to see how that plays out but I don't think that will be an issue until at least 2020, even without any more SCs being built since the current utilisation in Canada is very low.

Reactions: Jaff
Well I am a perfect example of why that can be detrimental because I did not wait for the Model III but recently bought a Chevy Volt, which is a great little car, mainly because of the disappointing SC situation. I did not want to be faced with hour long lineups at Superchargers because of a deluge of Model III's without a concomitant build out of Superchargers to accommodate them.
Interesting that you bought a Volt because of the SC situation from a company that is doing nothing to set up a charging infrastructure. They actually have gone out of their way to stop Tesla from selling cars in Michigan and then their CEO bragged about how you can get service for the Bolt in Michigan. At least Tesla continues to fight through and add superchargers at a steady rate. I too would love a Supercharger in Ottawa but unfortunately it hasn't happened yet.

Reactions: sakimano and Jaff
Interesting that you bought a Volt because of the SC situation from a company that is doing nothing to set up a charging infrastructure. They actually have gone out of their way to stop Tesla from selling cars in Michigan and then their CEO bragged about how you can get service for the Bolt in Michigan. At least Tesla continues to fight through and add superchargers at a steady rate. I too would love a Supercharger in Ottawa but unfortunately it hasn't happened yet.
The rationale is very clear. No range anxiety with the Volt, especially for my wife. And I do not feel any anger at GMC because the Volt does not require a charging infrastructure. And it is the car dealers, and not just GM's dealers but all ice dealers, that is the real force behind blocking Tesla's direct sales model, in a lot more states than Michigan. So much for the USA being the land of the free and bastion of capitalism. Mostly just nepotism.

Actually right now we still use the Tesla for long distance travel because the SC situation is fine now......but.....given the history of SC builds in this country, I am not holding my breath. I must admit that I am miffed at Tesla for that SC in Woodstock, NB , that never happened. I bought our Model S two years ago expecting our runs back "down home" to NS to be much easier than they have been. If they had not promised a SC there I would not be so irritated, but I really think that putting a "coming soon" sticker on the website where you order your car creates certain expectations. Now it is not even on the map.
I actually started looking at TMC to track the happy day when the Riviere du Loup and Woodstock, NB, SC's would come online. Finally, we got the R du L charger too late for the summer season last year, years after it was "coming soon". So if I were you I would not make any assumptions about the Ottawa SC, no matter how much sense it makes, because of Tesla's history of SC builds in this country.

And don't get me wrong. Other than the SC business I am an absolute fanboy of the company. Great cars. Powerwall. Rooftop solar shingles. Wow!

Reactions: doubeld