Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that Tesla will eventually give up the Mississauga SC...sooner than later...it is just too small to accommodate future growth...

I doubt Tesla Owns the space, but perhaps the Mississauga Service location would be suitable for a supercharger or a couple HPWCs due to it's proximity to the 407. That would help service those trying to avoid the 401 traffic. I agree with the Lawrence ave. being a huge pain in the ass to get to. I'm not too sure if Tesla has a certain supply of Supercharger equipment and only handful is allocated to Ontario/Canada, or maybe the hang up is finding the real estate. If that is the case maybe the Toronto supercharger is more of flagship item for branding and was never really meant to be a key cog in the supercharger network. Any idea at how much it costs Tesla to supply and install the chargers?

Agree with the flagship analogy, well said!

@Jaff
The point made with Barrie is as a location that services new areas. The same decision is made with each prospective supercharger installation. Head office will ask 'should we expand to new geography or enhance an existing route?'

That is where Cobourg sits in deliberations. It solely enhances an existing route...

And even more narrow in scope, only helps those slightly west of Toronto who make frequent trips east and don't want to be inconvenienced with a 3km detour south of the 401 because they may be travelling during rush hour (or voluntarily paying to use the express toll route). It sounds more privileged than practical.

I am wholly in favour of supporting the needs of Tesla drivers west of Toronto. I just cant beleive the best way to help drivers WEST of Toronto is to add another supercharger EAST of Toronto. Wouldn't a charger west of Toronto do more to help people west of Toronto on a day to day basis?

ANYWAYS... my goal was not to be disrespectful. My apologies.

I suppose it comes down to the following:

1) Do you think it's more important to service greater numbers on an already navigable route?
2) Do you think it's more important to open up completely new destinations?

Just thinking out loud now, I'd suggest #1 serves existing customers who know the process, how they use it and how to improve it. Whereas, #2 provides incentive to new customers. When I bought, I just wanted to know I could drive somewhere. I didn't care (and still don't) that my FREE power-up may be inconvenient. That's the trade I was prepared to make.

Using Barrie as an example, it will open up Collingwood, Wasaga, Muskoka, North Bay, Sudbury and I think that sells cars. If Cobourg were selected instead of Barrie, new customers would really just see the same 401 corridor and not be aware it was made marginally quicker.

I am firmly in the 'destinations' camp.

It does sell more cars! As a case in point, the Barrie supercharger sold my car. I'm in Sudbury, and I would not have ordered it otherwise.

Last edited:
Any word on when the 2 SC stalls at the Montreal store will go live? I'd use them Friday or Saturday if they are up.

I heard 2-3 weeks from a very reliable source.

I was just there yesterday, they are still covered, and no work is being done due to the holiday break.

They do have 3 HPWCs outside you could use in a pinch (but limited to 40A until all the work is completed).

Last edited:
I'm still not even sure why superchargers were placed in the heart of Toronto to begin with. I was hoping to make the drive from Ottawa to Cambridge soon and I'm afraid all the stalls in Toronto will be taken by locals when passing through.

Anyone here have any recent volume feedback at the TO superchargers?

Can't wait for Kingston. Seriously.

The last 4 times I was at Lawrence (2 service visits) only 1 car was being super charged - that was an owner. Once I was in at 9am and another time at noon. Out by 5:30pm both times.

I'm a local. I don't see the appeal of using the Lawrence supercharger. I have used it once in an emergency, but only because I was stopping to buy a NEMA 10-30 adapter and didn't range charge for a trip up to Muskoka. Picked up maybe 30km in 10 minutes.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about the locals hogging the Superchargers there. Not until the Model 3 shows up at least.

I've used the Toronto supercharger a couple of times going from Ottawa to the West end of Toronto because it was faster than waiting longer to charge in Kingston.

As others have said, without a Cobourg SC (or thereabouts), you'd have to drive very carefully in cold winter weather to get from Kingston to Lawrence with a safety margin. Tesla has said they definitely plan to put a supercharger in that area at some point, but haven't given a timeline yet. So that likely means 2016 or later, but as we saw with Woodstock, sometimes they surprise us!

I think that Tesla will eventually give up the Mississauga SC...sooner than later...it is just too small to accommodate future growth...

I recently heard reiterated again from a Tesla employee that Mississauga SC will possibly be moving to the Oakville/Burlington area next summer (if all plans go well I assume). The sooner the better as it would be great exposure for Tesla. With Oakville being a very large market for Model S (anecdotally), there are still many people I talk to that believe Tesla does not have sales and service centres anywhere. The Mississauga location is not helping.

Agree with the flagship analogy, well said!

Yes I agree with this as well ^^^

Also, I vote for a Supercharger in the Cobourg area as well. It would give good access for those hitting Barrie or Woodstock super chargers and those coming from the Hamilton area.

Quebec and North Korea currently have similar SpC coverage. Nothing in state and two sites within 400 km of the border. Quebec has a surplus of clean electricity. North Korea not so much. I don't think Black and Veatch, which has no local office, anticipated how much red tape they'd have to fight through to get projects approved here. I think they will move more aggressively on future Quebec projects in order to neutralize the institutionalized lethargy.

Quebec and North Korea currently have similar SpC coverage. Nothing in state and two sites within 400 km of the border. Quebec has a surplus of clean electricity. North Korea not so much. I don't think Black and Veatch, which has no local office, anticipated how much red tape they'd have to fight through to get projects approved here. I think they will move more aggressively on future Quebec projects in order to neutralize the institutionalized lethargy.

Hmmm... I wonder if they've not been following the Charbonneau commission? There was a lot of good advice in there on how to get things done in Quebec! :crying: :biggrin:

I recently heard reiterated again from a Tesla employee that Mississauga SC will possibly be moving to the Oakville/Burlington area next summer (if all plans go well I assume). The sooner the better as it would be great exposure for Tesla. With Oakville being a very large market for Model S (anecdotally), there are still many people I talk to that believe Tesla does not have sales and service centres anywhere. The Mississauga location is not helping.

I've heard the same thing also.

@Jaff
The point made with Barrie is as a location that services new areas. The same decision is made with each prospective supercharger installation. Head office will ask 'should we expand to new geography or enhance an existing route?'

That is where Cobourg sits in deliberations. It solely enhances an existing route...

And even more narrow in scope, only helps those slightly west of Toronto who make frequent trips east and don't want to be inconvenienced with a 3km detour south of the 401 because they may be travelling during rush hour (or voluntarily paying to use the express toll route). It sounds more privileged than practical.

I am wholly in favour of supporting the needs of Tesla drivers west of Toronto. I just cant beleive the best way to help drivers WEST of Toronto is to add another supercharger EAST of Toronto. Wouldn't a charger west of Toronto do more to help people west of Toronto on a day to day basis?

ANYWAYS... my goal was not to be disrespectful. My apologies.

For starters it's not a 3km detour it's a 10km detour! And traffic can make it horrific.

I'd probably prefer a SC between Toronto and Hamilton over Coburg very close to a highway.

Personally I think Kingston and Lawrence were not placed well as they are now. Cornwall and Kingston are fairly close, then there's the largish gap to Lawrence which all us west of the GTA would like to avoid. Belleville would have been slightly better than Kingston (@255km from Cornwall) and might have not led us to complain for second SC between Toronto and Kingston...

All that said Cobourg makes a lot of sense as it is 240km from Woodstock and serves those travelling E or W along the 401 who would like to avoid the Toronto SC.

Last edited:
kingston.jpg

For those interested in what's going on in Canada as a whole:

The Revelstoke Supercharger just opened. There are now 4 Superchargers in western Canada, 3 in eastern Canada. There are 3 under construction in the west, 4 in the east. Plus there's the permit for Comber (near Windsor), so according to the current best information, that'll be 7 in western Canada and 8 in eastern Canada.

Meanwhile, within the past week 13 new Superchargers opened in China. :)

For those interested in what's going on in Canada as a whole:

The Revelstoke Supercharger just opened. There are now 4 Superchargers in western Canada, 3 in eastern Canada. There are 3 under construction in the west, 4 in the east. Plus there's the permit for Comber (near Windsor), so according to the current best information, that'll be 7 in western Canada and 8 in eastern Canada.

Meanwhile, within the past week 13 new Superchargers opened in China. :)

Well... it's hard to argue with this. The Chinese market LOVES luxury vehicles - so if it catches, Tesla could sell a pile over there. And if you didn't know, they have a bit of a pollution issue. :)

I think the Chinese government is really pushing for EV which makes sense and once you have the government support (especially in China), everything can happen a lot faster than here.

Well... it's hard to argue with this. The Chinese market LOVES luxury vehicles - so if it catches, Tesla could sell a pile over there. And if you didn't know, they have a bit of a pollution issue. :)

My opinion is the more superchargers the better. I'm hoping they just keep adding them... anywhere and everywhere.
+1

Tesla has went on the record repeatedly (not sure if it was Elon or Franz) that they will NEVER stop expanding the Supercharger network. So, surely there's room in there for more Canadian Superchargers at some point? We may have to settle for connections to the US network in the short term though.

However, they have also said in the past that they would not put Superchargers in major centres, as they were for travel and not local use, but they seem to have relaxed their stance on this. So who knows what else they've changed their mind on?

Last edited: