Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was the only one from out of town. The rest were locals, with one guy range charging his 85D not for a trip but for the electrons.

Some people lack common sense. I'm a "local" for this SC site (I live around 30miles from it). When I go to the Montreal Service Center, I don't use the S/C unless I really need it (to get to 100% to reach Albany during Winter for example) or if there is no-one in sight (I stay in the car and ask every model S that gets into the parking lot if they need a charge). 2 Weeks ago, I switched my car from the S/C to an HWPC when it got to 92-93%SOC when a guy came in with an Ontario plate.

With the Burlington S/C opening soon, I won't stop there at all and I guess that most local won't either.

edit : when I say "Some people lack common sense" I was referring to the locals who use the S/C just to get free electricity.

I have been one of the "uncool" local guys supercharging in Montreal. I did get my driveway partially repaved and my HPWC was out of reach. I was pretty happy to be able to charge. I did go late at night so there was nobody there (which by the way yields over 600 km /h). It's how you use it. Common sense should always prevail.

I don't mean to accuse people of abusing the Montreal superchargers. In some ways I hope that easily accessible superchargers increase the uptake of he car. I just think Montreal is relatively underserviced for demand. Montreal deserves better. It has a great Tesla store and lots of potential customers. They should have 8 chargers like Lawrence, not 2 that are limited. At the same time, if there are lots of cars looking for a charge, locals can hopefully charge for pennies/km at home, with obvious exceptions when home charging isn't feasible.

For what it's worth I don't think there's anything wrong with "locals" using a Supercharger as long as it doesn't inconvenience anyone. The main concern, I would think, is with congestion causing inconvenience and an earlier requirement for expansion or new installations than would otherwise be necessary. This I think is what's happening in California. It isn't the cost of the electricity that's the big issue for Tesla; at typical rates it takes 100,000 km of travel to cost $2000 (the amount Tesla charged 60 owners for Supercharger access). It takes quite a few people quite a while to rack up the same sort of expense as a $250,000 Supercharger installation.

I think people just need to be considerate, as for example user llavalle described on the previous page.

You're absolutely right that Montreal is grossly underserved. Anywhere else they would be adding stations.

I think that can be said of Canadian provinces in general - if you look at the density in NY State, especially if you include a couple under construction or permitting, the Supercharger network is a lot more complete with more closely spaced chargers than the Souther Ontario/Quebec corridor. That includes the less densely populated parts of the state.

I haven't been to Montreal, but of all the Superchargers I've been to, including those in the US, the busiest one I've been to is the Barrie, ON site. And by "busy", I mean 4 of the 8 stalls in use. I'm excluding some of the "grand openings" I've gone to obviously. The Lawrence Ave. site is a bit of an anomaly because I've seen what I believe are new cars or cars in for service "blocking" some of the stalls there, but not necessarily charging. I've been the only car at Comber, may see one other car at Woodstock. Even at Angola, Mishawaka, Country Club Hills and Aurora I was the only Tesla in sight on several road trips.

I haven't been to Montreal, but of all the Superchargers I've been to, including those in the US, the busiest one I've been to is the Barrie, ON site. And by "busy", I mean 4 of the 8 stalls in use. I'm excluding some of the "grand openings" I've gone to obviously. The Lawrence Ave. site is a bit of an anomaly because I've seen what I believe are new cars or cars in for service "blocking" some of the stalls there, but not necessarily charging. I've been the only car at Comber, may see one other car at Woodstock. Even at Angola, Mishawaka, Country Club Hills and Aurora I was the only Tesla in sight on several road trips.

Yes, that's the norm at most sites. Outside California. I gather that things are getting quite busy in California, which is why Tesla keeps opening stations there even though there's a bajillion of them already. (There's roughly a dozen in and around LA). They've gotten past the point of minimal coverage to having to deal with significant traffic.

It would be fun if someone discovered "stealth" construction of a new site in Eastern Canada in progress. As it stands, there never has been Supercharger construction in Eastern Canada in June or July. This is crazy when you consider that six of the eight existing locations had at least part of their construction done between December and March.

I did get my driveway partially repaved and my HPWC was out of reach.
I'm also doing my pavement also, and was thinking to go to the SC for charge, but I ended up using 120volt with a costco 100feet extension. I still gain about 60km of range for every 10hours of charging which would give me 820km available for the whole week I couldn't park in there which ended up being enough.

Did you hit Barrie on a Friday? I did a middle of a weekday stop there and was the only car when I plugged in and when I left there was 1 local guy topping up...

Did you hit Barrie on a Friday? I did a middle of a weekday stop there and was the only car when I plugged in and when I left there was 1 local guy topping up...

I was at Barrie Saturday afternoon and there were three other cars besides me. One was leaving just as I arrived. I returned Sunday at around 8:00 PM and there was a lone 70D in the new Titanium Metallic color (really like that new color) but he was gone when I returned.

I was at Barrie Saturday afternoon and there were three other cars besides me. One was leaving just as I arrived. I returned Sunday at around 8:00 PM and there was a lone 70D in the new Titanium Metallic color (really like that new color) but he was gone when I returned.

I'm in Barrie semi-regularly, the last time was on this past Sunday at around 3:30 PM. I was expecting it to be jammed with cottage traffic but there was only one other car there both when I came and left. I can only think of two times when there were 2 other cars there.

Thread drift alert! ...but since a lot of us are repaving, I thought I'd put this out there. The model S is very heavy and has a higher tire pressure than most cars. Don't do what I did and park in the driveway after the contractors recommended 48 hours. Especially if it's hot out. The car will sink a bit in the new asphalt causing divots where the wheels were.
...ok back to charging!

I'm in Barrie semi-regularly, the last time was on this past Sunday at around 3:30 PM. I was expecting it to be jammed with cottage traffic but there was only one other car there both when I came and left. I can only think of two times when there were 2 other cars there.

That's kinda consistent with my observations as well... and Barrie is probably the "busiest" Supercharger I've used. Most others are ghost towns when I'm there. At least we don't have the "local charging congestion" that seems to be a problem in California.

- - - Updated - - -

Thread drift alert! ...but since a lot of us are repaving, I thought I'd put this out there. The model S is very heavy and has a higher tire pressure than most cars. Don't do what I did and park in the driveway after the contractors recommended 48 hours. Especially if it's hot out. The car will sink a bit in the new asphalt causing divots where the wheels were.
...ok back to charging!

48 hours is short for any kind of car. My municipality gave me a 1 week permit for overnight street parking and I used every day of it when I re-paved a couple of years ago.

That's kinda consistent with my observations as well... and Barrie is probably the "busiest" Supercharger I've used. Most others are ghost towns when I'm there. At least we don't have the "local charging congestion" that seems to be a problem in California.

So... I was wondering about the etiquette when you're the 5th car. I know that if I was the 4th car and had just plugged in, and another car came along and plugged into my paired charger (causing my current to drop) I would be pretty annoyed!