Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all seriousness ... Come visit BC if you want to see how a public utility can make a simple three phase low voltage connection into a bureaucratic nightmare of approvals.

Yeah, I guess "your mileage will vary" as they say. BC Hydro is a big bureaucracy. Here in Ontario, for better or for worse, we have a multitude of smaller local utilities for the most part. One advantage is that they are primarily community focused and being smaller, are much more nimble. A disadvantage can be that requirements may vary slightly from town to town.

I'll also point out that they've pretty much fully built out the New York network, and many of those are in the wasteland of upstate NY, so they must largely exist to support Canada/USA travel. As such you could consider them adjunct to the Ontario/Quebec network.

Stopped in Albany on the weekend, half of the cars charging were Canadian, and all the stalls were occupied, so I'd say, yeah, the upstate NY is as much for Canadians as it is for the US drivers...

Superchargers west of 427 REQUIRED !

Surely I'm not the only Toronto area Tesla driver (in particular with a 70 or SC enabled 60) that has day trips into the Niagara area and wishes to come back without needing to cross an international border just to plug into that big pipe of electrons -- which I might add is brand new itself.

The Canadian Head Office of Tesla is in Mississauga. The airport area ?

Sherway Gardens is ideal. It's on the diagonal other side of the Lawrence Ave. SC with easier access of highways.

Anywhere in Oakville. Open a store there if you want to sell nice things.

Burlington works too.

Hamilton would be ok I guess.

Heck even in Niagara Falls.

One or more needed urgently IMHO. Surely I'm not alone ?

Surely I'm not the only Toronto area Tesla driver (in particular with a 70 or SC enabled 60) that has day trips into the Niagara area and wishes to come back without needing to cross an international border just to plug into that big pipe of electrons -- which I might add is brand new itself.

Toronto to Niagara Falls and back is about 260km, within reach for an 85, even in winter. For a 60 or 70 it's tight, but if you want a bit more buffer, you could look for a place to charge near your destination. There are lots of level 2 charging stations in the Niagara area, including a few at 70A. Check PlugShare to find them.

I'm not saying another supercharger wouldn't be nice; it's just that Tesla's focus for superchargers is getting from A to B, not from A to B and back in a day, so this location is probably not high on their list.

Surely I'm not the only Toronto area Tesla driver (in particular with a 70 or SC enabled 60) that has day trips into the Niagara area and wishes to come back without needing to cross an international border just to plug into that big pipe of electrons

I believe Tesla's roadmap does show something on the QEW corridor. Hard to tell exactly, but it looks to be near the Burlington area. Something near the point where the QEW, 407 and 403 all converge in Burlington would make sense as it would support travel on those major routes.

No way in Toronto / Sherway Gardens...way too much traffic around there, and taking the 427 to get to the 407 (to bypass Toronto) will take too long (again, traffic congestion) imo...I think it needs to be outside of Toronto / Mississauga...Burlington or Oakville would work well, and will allow less congested travel to access the QEW / 401 / 403 / 407...I agree, if you are wanting to go to Niagara and back...it makes perfect sense to "not want to cross the border to Buffalo" to Super Charge...who wants to brave the border traffic?...it can take hours to cross the border sometimes...

Not sure where you mean "Canadian Head Office" in the Mississauga area...their only presence there is the small Service Center on Tranmere Rd.

The Canadian Head Office of Tesla is in Mississauga. The airport area ?

Sherway Gardens is ideal. It's on the diagonal other side of the Lawrence Ave. SC with easier access of highways.

Anywhere in Oakville. Open a store there if you want to sell nice things.

Burlington works too.

Hamilton would be ok I guess.

Heck even in Niagara Falls.

One or more needed urgently IMHO. Surely I'm not alone ?

Looks like Tesla's Supercharger map has been updated with a lot of new "coming soon" locations. Unfortunately the Hamilton/Burlington location hasn't been listed. Just a few in NY, 1 in New Hampshire and 1 in Vermont.

Supercharger | Tesla Motors Canada

And it looks like the Hamilton 2015 pin is gone and replaced one that is a little further north. Maybe Burlington or Oakville.

Last edited:
Well, it's on the 2015 Tab, but if past history is any indicator, I wouldn't hold my breath!
This is exactly my expectation toward the Ottawa Toronto route that I'm taking too often these days... With my S60, I will have to drive at 80km/h or less to be able to make it between Kingston and Toronto in winter. And I'm not expecting a SC before the winter.

Looking at the Norwegian SC map, those guys are lucky! :)

I emailed Tesla this morning to ask for an update on a Supercharger somewhere around Cobourg and they replied:

Thank you for the email and location suggestions. We remain committed to additional Superchargers in Canada and understand this site is important, especially for Winter travel. While we cannot make guarantees on opening dates or exact property locations, know we’re actively working on candidates to Supercharge the route between Kingston and Toronto.​

Pretty non-committal as expected, but at least they say they're working on it. Not looking hopeful for having it in place before winter...

I emailed Tesla this morning to ask for an update on a Supercharger somewhere around Cobourg and they replied:

Thank you for the email and location suggestions. We remain committed to additional Superchargers in Canada and understand this site is important, especially for Winter travel. While we cannot make guarantees on opening dates or exact property locations, know we’re actively working on candidates to Supercharge the route between Kingston and Toronto.​

Pretty non-committal as expected, but at least they say they're working on it. Not looking hopeful for having it in place before winter...
Thanks, Peter. At lease we know that they also agree on the need for a supercharger between Kingston and Toronto. That alone is good news.

Hmm, sounds like things have changed. The Tesla rep we had been dealing with "guaranteed" that Tesla would have 2 new SuperChargers at the start and end of the 407 by the time the 407 bypass with the 401 was completed east of Toronto. I wonder if the bypass is still on track to be complete by EOY. We didn't see much progress the last time we drove by a few days ago.

Having to drive on the 401 through Toronto to SC is the single biggest reason we didn't buy before the price increase.

But how many Teslas have been sold in Norway vs Canada?

Tesla sold 1454 Model Ss in Norway... in ONE MONTH (March 2014). This broke the record for the greatest number of sales in a month of a single model, of any type of car. Total sales to March of 2014 was 4043. Wikipedia doesn't have info on sales since then, it seems, but I am willing to bet that there are a lot more Model Ss in Norway than in all of southern Ontario. Heck, all of Canada. By far. Total sales in Canada as of May 2015 was 2322.