Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know these things happen every day, and you have direct experience with utilities, but they can move at glacial pace. My solar panels have been up on my roof for two months but aren't connected to the grid thanks to Toronto Hydro who take forever to do inspections and install a generation meter. You would think that they do these every day as well. Meanwhile we burn more NatGas aimlessly...

weird, enmax here in calgary are very quick getting the bi directional meter and inspections done, mine was done in about 5 business days.

I'm in agreement with this view. Leaving the Supercharger map up in it's present rendition is misleading to potential buyers and frustrating to current owners. Tesla is better than this.
The backlash and frustration wouldn't be nearly half as bad if they would just under promise and over deliver however the opposite seems to be the new MO
auto pilot, SC installs, Model X

More smooth would be like the D no one knew what to expect until it was done once it was done it was available within a short period.

The backlash and frustration wouldn't be nearly half as bad if they would just under promise and over deliver however the opposite seems to be the new MO

More smooth would be like the D no one knew what to expect until it was done once it was done it was available within a short period.

But that strategy can work. It certainly worked on me. One of the main reasons I bought the car was that I believed the map on the website showing the buildout of Superchargers in Canada over the next few years. I am still glad I bought the car but I would not have the level of frustration I have now if I did not have to see the days in permitting for the Supercharger at Rivière du Loup turn from days into 4 months and counting and no new permitted sites on the ConnectT map for anywhere in Canada. It would appear we are indeed an afterthought. I like you would have much less frustration if our expectations were not raised unrealistically in the first place. But to look on the bright side.... Even if I feel a bit snookered I did get pushed into the car of my dreams before the price went up instead of waiting to buy it later!:smile:

Originally Posted by Doug_G
Tesla launched a bunch of Ontario Superchargers in March, so it's not fair to say there has been no construction this year. But it did come to a screeching halt after that. Aside from finishing some long-delayed Quebec chargers.

So obviously the contractors are available. They've already built stuff.

I'll also point out that they've pretty much fully built out the New York network, and many of those are in the wasteland of upstate NY, so they must largely exist to support Canada/USA travel. As such you could consider them adjunct to the Ontario/Quebec network.

My guesses:

(a) Site selection / permitting delays galore, or

(b) Tesla's Supercharger team built out the absolute minimum necessary network, declared victory, and left the country.

Given the total lack of news, I'm kinda leaning towards (b) at this point.

I would hardly call Upstate NY a wasteland.

I would hardly call Upstate NY a wasteland.

LOL I figured someone would object to that! Sure, there are nice places in upstate NY. You have to be honest, though, that much of it is an economic backwater, and some parts of it are in downright decline. Certainly not a major area for early Tesla adoption.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not a new MO; Tesla has always done that. I think what happens is that Elon sets ambitious goals - perhaps too ambitious - and everyone works hard to try and hit that. I think the philosophy is to set the bar really high and work like hell; and even if you don't make it, you're still far ahead where you'd be if a more realistic goal was set. Sometimes though he overdoes it and they fall well short.

So why isn't Tesla selling in Mexico? Eastern Europe? Russia? Anywhere at all in the southern hemisphere outside Australia? Most likely due to projected lack of sales, I would say.

Quite possible. However, it could also be due to the instability in those regions. I can understand Tesla's desire to not need to hire protection details for their employees.

I think we have to keep reminding ourselves that this is entirely being funded by a private company. I'd love to see them do everything now, but that's just not realistic.

I'm right with you on this. Actually, I'm of the opinion that Tesla is already expanding at an unsustainable rate and have suffered in a number of ways as a result (Service, reliability, software QA, etc). They should be settling into an Audi-esque position but they're trying to be General Motors. It's too soon for that, IMO.

Just when are we going to see a charger around Cobourg, On?
The other day I left for Montreal with a stopover at the empty SC in Kingston and had less than 50 km left. This is in sunny Southern California like weather in August. Imagine come January with -20 degree weather.
Last year I had to go 80 km/hr from Toronto to reach Kingston in Winter. Not going through that again.
In Connecticut there are SC's every 10 miles. Ridiculous!
Time for Tesla to up the ante!
Canada exists Elon! You studied at Queen's in Kingston.

I know these things happen every day, and you have direct experience with utilities, but they can move at glacial pace. My solar panels have been up on my roof for two months but aren't connected to the grid thanks to Toronto Hydro who take forever to do inspections and install a generation meter. You would think that they do these every day as well. Meanwhile we burn more NatGas aimlessly...

I worked for Toronto Hydro for 21 years, but left quite a while before the FIT and microFIT programs started. We do these connections at my current utility and, from what I understand, the biggest delay is in getting paperwork from the OPA (now, IESO) for the actual commercial contract. At least in our case, they're hooked up withing a day or two of getting the contracts and receiving the inspection approval from the ESA. That is, of course, assuming the connection impact assessment is positive.

FIT / microFIT connections are pretty standard, but because of the complexity of dealing with the IESO on the contract side, going through the connection assessment and the fact that it involves bi-directional metering and billing, are actually more complex than a simple commercial connection.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, there are nice places in upstate NY. You have to be honest, though, that much of it is an economic backwater, and some parts of it are in downright decline. Certainly not a major area for early Tesla adoption.

But so what? The point of Superchargers are for long distance travel and all one would be trying to do is get through those areas and on to their destination.

But so what? The point of Superchargers are for long distance travel and all one would be trying to do is get through those areas and on to their destination.

That's exactly the argument I've been making about Saskatchewan! Yet, no Superchargers (even on the long-term lookout)

Do they not realize that owners need to at least drive through here to get everywhere else?!

I worked for Toronto Hydro for 21 years, but left quite a while before the FIT and microFIT programs started. We do these connections at my current utility and, from what I understand, the biggest delay is in getting paperwork from the OPA (now, IESO) for the actual commercial contract. At least in our case, they're hooked up withing a day or two of getting the contracts and receiving the inspection approval from the ESA. That is, of course, assuming the connection impact assessment is positive.

FIT / microFIT connections are pretty standard, but because of the complexity of dealing with the IESO on the contract side, going through the connection assessment and the fact that it involves bi-directional metering and billing, are actually more complex than a simple commercial connection.
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just got an email sent to me by my contractor that was forwarded from the Toronto Hydro FIT team. It states "The meter was ordered last week. It should be installed by the end of this week." So it looks like they don't order the meter until the ESA inspection is done. My main electrical work (shutting down house power for a few hours and roughing in the generation meter) was done on July 30 so I am looking at almost a 30 day wait for inspection meter hookup.

The same could be said about ICE car travel, in different ways. I'd hazard a guess to say most people who own $100k cars would also be those willing and able to fly instead.
I totally agree. I love my Tesla but I have zero interest in driving any vehicle on a long trip. I might conceivably do Toronto to Ottawa or Montreal but that is the longest I am willing to drive and even then I am more likely to take the train. I can't foresee ever wanting to drive across the country, even if I am retired and have infinite time on my hands.

It states "The meter was ordered last week. It should be installed by the end of this week." So it looks like they don't order the meter until the ESA inspection is done. My main electrical work (shutting down house power for a few hours and roughing in the generation meter) was done on July 30 so I am looking at almost a 30 day wait for inspection meter hookup.

That's bizarre. It just a simple bi-directional smart meter (I assume it's a residential microFIT connection), and we keep those in stock at my utility. In situations where there is a customer capital contribution required, we will order equipment as soon as the deposit is made. Waiting for the ESA inspection would seriously delay the work. But that shouldn't be the case here. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

- - - Updated - - -

I love my Tesla but I have zero interest in driving any vehicle on a long trip.

I love road trips, but my wife, not so much. I guess it's just personal preference. Some day, I'd love to connect with the cross-country rally to TMC Connect in California, but I suspect if my wife goes, I'll be meeting her at the airport!

...except that there are a number of Canadian Supercharger installations already, so any Canada-specific equipment approvals should have already been taken care of. From a utility connection point of view, I can assure everyone it is trivial. The utility connection is no different than any other commercial connection of similar size, and utilities hook these things up every day.

In all seriousness ... Come visit BC if you want to see how a public utility can make a simple three phase low voltage connection into a bureaucratic nightmare of approvals.