Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chicken and egg. Maybe they'd sell more here if we had more Superchargers. The Norway Superchargers were in place when first deliveries began. Canada had to wait over a year.

Also, population density is an issue here in Canada. Its easy and cost-effective to install superchargers in Norway because the country is relatively small and has a high population density. The number of Teslas to supercharger ratio is nice and high. Comparatively, Canada would require a lot more superchargers due to the massive size of the country and the number of Teslas to supercharger ratio is quite low.

Also, population density is an issue here in Canada. Its easy and cost-effective to install superchargers in Norway because the country is relatively small and has a high population density. The number of Teslas to supercharger ratio is nice and high. Comparatively, Canada would require a lot more superchargers due to the massive size of the country and the number of Teslas to supercharger ratio is quite low.

I know I'm pushing this point, but the population of the GTA is greater than all of Norway, and the population density of the GTA would be much higher than the whole country of Norway, so even just having a decent number of Superchargers in this region may help sales. I agree covering all of Canada is likely never to happen.

I know I'm pushing this point, but the population of the GTA is greater than all of Norway, and the population density of the GTA would be much higher than the whole country of Norway, so even just having a decent number of Superchargers in this region may help sales. I agree covering all of Canada is likely never to happen.

Yeah, but Superchargers are not meant for regular charging, but rather for long-distance travel. So the GTA population density isn't really a factor. There might be a few corridors around the GTA (e.g. 401 North of Toronto and QEW South of Toronto) that are high-traffic areas that are feasible for superchargers. But the real number that needs to be considered is not <i>"population"</i> density, but rather <i>"Tesla"</i> density. I understand that Norway has a lot more Tesla owners than all of Canada.

Which then leads back to the chicken-n-egg argument. Are we going around in circles yet?

Which then leads back to the chicken-n-egg argument. Are we going around in circles yet?

It is an interesting discussion, though. In the broader context of EVs in general, much has been made over the need for visible public infrastructure before adoption will pick up even though experts (and us here) know that almost all charging will be done at home. Back to that chicken and egg thing.

I agree and didn't mean that we install Norway numbers of Superchargers just in the GTA, but if there was an effort to build out the system more robustly in Canada's more densely populated centers (i.e. for central Canada: Windsor to Quebec City, Toronto to Sudbury, Niagara Region, good connections to the US etc.), it might persuade more of the significant GTA population to take the plunge, knowing that if they buy the car, it won't just be a "city car" for them (again, I know that's not true but there are people who feel that way).

I emailed Tesla this morning to ask for an update on a Supercharger somewhere around Cobourg and they replied:
Thank you for the email and location suggestions. We remain committed to additional Superchargers in Canada and understand this site is important, especially for Winter travel. While we cannot make guarantees on opening dates or exact property locations, know we’re actively working on candidates to Supercharge the route between Kingston and Toronto.​

Pretty non-committal as expected, but at least they say they're working on it. Not looking hopeful for having it in place before winter...

I got the exact same response a few days ago.

Surely I'm not the only Toronto area Tesla driver (in particular with a 70 or SC enabled 60) that has day trips into the Niagara area and wishes to come back without needing to cross an international border just to plug into that big pipe of electrons -- which I might add is brand new itself.

The Canadian Head Office of Tesla is in Mississauga. The airport area ?

Sherway Gardens is ideal. It's on the diagonal other side of the Lawrence Ave. SC with easier access of highways.

Anywhere in Oakville. Open a store there if you want to sell nice things.

Burlington works too.

Hamilton would be ok I guess.

Heck even in Niagara Falls.

One or more needed urgently IMHO. Surely I'm not alone ?

+1^

Looks like the pins are a little offset, the Ottawa, North Bay and Sudbury ones went up a little bit as well. But also notice Montreal and Quebec City has a bit of a shadow behind their pin, looks like a second pin (but probably not).

Looks like the Quebec City shadow is only in the 2016 map, not the 2015 one, so I think they plan for a second location. Also, I noticed that the Rivière du Loup location appears to have shifted into the St. Lawrence, so perhaps all these new pins have bad co-ordinates that are slightly shifted north/west. If so, then that may mean Hamilton is back in the running for a supercharger location.

I wouldn't read much into most of these cases of slightly shifted pins for coming locations.

Indeed, the markers are also a bit off for existing sites. The Matane, QC, destination charging location often appears at first glance to be on the North, rather than the South shore of the St. Lawrence in an area where the river/estuary is 25-miles wide. Then when you zoom in the base of the pin is between the West and East-bound shipping lanes, so I thought maybe the new Matane to Baie Comeau/Godbout ferry offered an HPWC in its car bay.

It is shifted into the St. Lawrence for charging the new Model S (submersible)

It's already happening !

tesla-bond-small.png

After our Alaska cruise we travelled from Seattle to Portland to stay with my daughter who lives near Portland. On the way we stopped at an outlet Mall in Centralia, Washington. As we looked for a parking spot my wife noticed a Tesla Supercharger station in the Mall. I got out of my daughter's car to check out the SC while the others shopped. The SC had 10 chargers; 4 with no parking signs; 6 with 30 minute parking only signs for ICE cars. But best of all, one of chargers with a No Parking sign was restricted to HANDICAP parking. The first time I have seen this.
image.jpg

After our Alaska cruise we travelled from Seattle to Portland to stay with my daughter who lives near Portland. On the way we stopped at an outlet Mall in Centralia, Washington. As we looked for a parking spot my wife noticed a Tesla Supercharger station in the Mall. I got out of my daughter's car to check out the SC while the others shopped. The SC had 10 chargers; 4 with no parking signs; 6 with 30 minute parking only signs for ICE cars. But best of all, one of chargers with a No Parking sign was restricted to HANDICAP parking. The first time I have seen this.

It's actually quite common in the U.S.

I parked in that stall without seeing the sign, the first time I was in Centralia. Ignorant Canadian. :)