Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is not Oakville going to be a service centre? Then I assume that the Superchargers there will be like the ones at Lawrence and be mainly used for service centre use and not be generally available for the public.
I wouldn't say that they aren't available to the public, but I would say that they are used far more than standalone SuperChargers so there may not always be an open one when you show up, at least not during daytime hours.

So.... is this it for Superchargers being built in Canada in 2016? Does Tesla shut down for the winter in October?

I don't recall them doing supercharger construction in the dead of winter - the ground being frozen would raise costs. Certainly they've done construction with snow on the ground. But the big delays are always locating the site, negotiating with the site owner, and getting permitted.

Since the Ottawa Supercharger didn't happen this summer, I suspect they're back to square one for some reason. So I'm not expecting anything for another year. But you never know.

Still unsure whether these will be available to the public but there are 5 newly installed charging stations for a total of 10 EV's at the new office building being built on Western Parkway in Bedford, just off highway 102. I believe these are 30 Amp Level-2 chargers. This is great to see in Halifax!

tvTjmYq4seWvgy559

Reactions: Jaff
Still unsure whether these will be available to the public but there are 5 newly installed charging stations for a total of 10 EV's at the new office building being built on Western Parkway in Bedford, just off highway 102. I believe these are 30 Amp Level-2 chargers. This is great to see in Halifax!

They are Schneider Electric EVlink 30 Amp Level-2 Outdoor Dual Unit Pedestal Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

Port Hope is a disgrace!
I was there over the weekend on my way to Ottawa and only two of them were working. Same thing a few months ago.
I am disgusted that Tesla hasn't bothered to fix this. We, in Canada, obviously mean nothing to them.
Good luck selling the Model 3 here Elon!
In fact, I was travelling with a non EV passenger and she was outraged I had to top off for 10 minutes there on the way to Ottawa vis Kingston.
Imagine what the scenario would have been like if none of the chargers in Port Hope were working?
She said she will NOT buy a Tesla. This trend of not fixing the SC's obviously has a negative impact of people thinking about electric cars. All I can say is, "Elon, get your act together"!

Topping off for 10 minutes is a big deal? I have owned my Tesla for 22 months. When I add up all the time that I have spent waiting for SCs and then compare that to not having to gas up for about 5 minutes every week or two then I am still ahead by several hours. And I am ignoring the other ugly externalities of gassing up like hands stinking of gasoline, standing in the freezing cold, etc.

The 10 minutes is just an aside. The Port Hope SC has chargers out of commission for over 2 months now without being repaired. That is not a good feeling in regard to timeliness of repair.
We have a major supercharger problem along 401 with problems in Port Hope and Kingston. I was at Port Hope on way to Toronto for service on Sunday and only three chargers were working. (1a, 2b and 4 a). All three were being used; if anyone else had arrived they would need to wait. Four of the chargers were tied off so you could not use them at all. 4b just did not work for me plus the next car who tried there as well. I called Tesla NA and supercharger service and reported the Port Hope problem.

Kingston also has had its problems with only 4 of 6 sites working when I was as there at end September. In fact one charger did not have a cable. While at Toronto Lawrence Service centre Another driver advised Kingston still had problems with 2 none operational.

I raised this major issue with Toronto service staff during my annual service check as winter is fast approaching and both Supercharging locations will be needed. They indicated that they were aware of the problem. They told me today that a two person team is scheduled to fix these problems very soon, in fact within the next two weeks.

In fact when we left Toronto today we saw two people working on a charger in a Toronto. We were also surprised to see that the charger that was missing it's charging cable in Kingston had been repaired when we stopped at Kingston SC on way home from a Toronto. We spoke to the person whose Tesla was charging at this site and he was aware of cable problem and was pleased to see that it had been repaired. So repairs appear to be starting.

We did not stop at Port Hope today so not know current situation there.

Request that those using Port Hope SC monitor repairs there and chase Tesla service in Toronto and California if they are not made soon.

Port Hope is a disgrace!
I was there over the weekend on my way to Ottawa and only two of them were working. Same thing a few months ago.
I am disgusted that Tesla hasn't bothered to fix this. We, in Canada, obviously mean nothing to them.
Good luck selling the Model 3 here Elon!
In fact, I was travelling with a non EV passenger and she was outraged I had to top off for 10 minutes there on the way to Ottawa vis Kingston.
Imagine what the scenario would have been like if none of the chargers in Port Hope were working?
She said she will NOT buy a Tesla. This trend of not fixing the SC's obviously has a negative impact of people thinking about electric cars. All I can say is, "Elon, get your act together"!
OUTRAGED?
I find this email troubling. I guess it is a matter of expectations.
So far in my over 40 years of driving and owning many, many, cars I have never found a car company that is working as hard or doing as good a job as Tesla is. No they are not perfect but then again they have not been installing "gas stations" for 100 years either.

You seem to be a recent member and perhaps have not see the growth of chargers and support of Canada over the past short period of time, but as a Canadian you should be well aware of similar issues for MANY items one buys or needs support of in Canada. Home Appliances for example.

Issues in Canada with the relatively small population and large geographic areas are not new for Canadians. Considering this and other experience, the buildout of SC in Canada is actually very impressive to me, and it does not surprise me that there is lag in staffing service supporting SC's considering that built out rate. Look at how many they have put in and the time span. Can you name a single company that has accomplished anything even close to this in Canada or elsewhere?

The fact is that you are already relatively well served having the SC option. Take a look at other parts of Canada - the Maritimes for example, and see how fortunate you are. If you want to compare Tesla's performance to another manufacturer that sells EV's… compare the SC to level 2 support in general and the charging experience for a BMW I3 for example. Perhaps even better compare it from other manufacturers. Nissan for example where the CHAdeMO chargers (all only at dealerships = far from ideal) almost never work without overheating.

I am now doing the trip between Florida and the Maritimes for the 4th time. Many miles and many SC's. It is very rare to have them down and i have been to dozens and at different times. The trip has gotten much better now that there are SC's in Brewer Maine and Augusta Maine and I now have several different routes that I can take - this is all very new. I can tell you the first time in 2015 had few options and a great deal of careful planning. It has gotten significantly better. There is no question that Tesla has done a superb job.

When you got your Tesla you likely realized that you were part of something new and exciting. I suggest you adjust your expectations just a bit and realize how amazing this entire adventure really is. My goodness you are riding in a electric car able to go 140 miles an hour with a range of over 250 miles…… seriously! Outraged? I dont know - I am more outraged when I take my Dodge truck in for service and they still cant figure out why the engine races… for 4 years now, as I sit in the metal folding chair in the waiting area with coffee from a vending machine and people who do not care at all… for generations.

Last edited:
She said she will NOT buy a Tesla

Given that there is a one year waiting list on the Model 3, she won't be able to buy a nice electric car till 2019 at the earliest from Tesla or anyone else. I cringe thinking of the poor experience gas owners deal with every day. I just handed back a $40K Camaro convertible I rented, what a piece of crap to drive.

My wife loves her Tesla, and enjoys charging it, she takes special pride in being plugshare savvy and showing the way to our many friends and acquaintances. I can tell you, there is no demand problem for Tesla.

Sure there are some bumps, but rapid progress is never smooth.