Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric install questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great info .. makes me reconsider my choice .. going to think about it further.
What is the cord hook?
Something to hold the body of the UMC, and something to hang the handle on when it isn't plugged into the car. Its bad practice to just let the UMC just hang on the outlet all the time, as the adapter will very slowly pull out of the UMC, presumably due to thermal cycling.

I did the same as you but to give myself some flexibility in the future (in case I want to buy the HPC later) I used #6 and a 60 amp breaker.
You do realize you’ll only be able to charge at 40 amp rate even with a wall connector. #6 is only good for 55 Amps. Regardless that you can round up on the breaker size you have to round down to the nearest setting (below 55 Amps) on the Wall Connector. Which would be 50 Amp. Then take 80% of that brings you down to 40 Amp charge rate.

It never makes sense to put a 60 Amp breaker on #6. You might as well play it safer and put a 50 Amp breaker because you can never exceed 80% of 50 Amps.

Also the breaker you installed should have GFCI.

Only Romex is limited to 55A, regular conductors in conduit can use the 75C rating of 65A or higher. It's very much the norm to use 60A breakers on #6 wire and is absolutely legal and safe.

Also you should not have a GFCI breaker on the wall connector. See the bold type on page 5 of the installation manual along with the recommendation to use #6 wire on a 60A circuit for 48A charging capacity.

Only Romex is limited to 55A, regular conductors in conduit can use the 75C rating of 65A or higher. It's very much the norm to use 60A breakers on #6 wire and is absolutely legal and safe.

Also you should not have a GFCI breaker on the wall connector. See the bold type on page 5 of the installation manual along with the recommendation to use #6 wire on a 60A circuit for 48A charging capacity.
I didn’t say he should have a GFCI on wall connector. He said he didn’t have a wall connector. He didn’t say if he ran Romex. I am assuming he did. We can see what he says.

You need to start specifying things more. You are referring to only wire gauge thickness without specifying what kind of installation it is. The answers WILL be different depending on what you are using. Is it Romex cable or is it individual wires in conduit? These things have different allowed amp ratings.

If I go for 60 amps and #6, will it work well with corded mobile connector?
No. The corded mobile connector has a 14-50 plug permanently molded onto the end of it. You cannot install a 14-50 receptacle on a 60A circuit ever. And since you didn't specify what kind of wire or cable, we can't say whether #6 would be allowed for a 60A circuit anyway.
My question is:
is it ok to do 60 amps and #6 with a 15-50 plug and a corded mobile connector?
I think you meant 14-50, and no, you can't do that on a 60A circuit.
Ok thanks! yes may be later so #6 cable looks good
If you are using #6 Romex cable, then that is only rated up to 55A, so a 50A rated circuit with a 14-50 outlet would be fine.
Actually reading this again, it is ok to do #4 on 50 amps with 14-50 to be more bullet proof?
Yes, oversizing the wire some is allowed, and I think people mentioned that the good brands of outlet, like Cooper, Hubbel, or Bryant will accept #4 wire thickness.

Reactions: mswlogo

One other thing. You should never install a 60Amp breaker on a 14-50 outlet. 14-50 is only rated for 50 Amp. So I know his installation is botched wether his #6 is in conduit or not. He said he set it up for potential future wall connector. There is no valid configuration for a plug-in with a 60 Amp breaker.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I ended up doing #6 with 50amps
Breaker and 14-50 plug.
Waiting for the M3 perf, hopefully a few more weeks only

Having the extra headroom makes a lot of sense, and if you go with a 40a capable charger at some point in the future, that's an additional 6-7 miles/hour charging speed over the 32a TMC.

BTW, a pack of garage utility hooks are handy for dealing with a charger, cable, adapters, etc., super cheap, and pretty flexible.