Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Pickup Roundup: Musk Says Tesla Truck 'Not Like Anything Else'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla builds a pickup that can tow my trailer (fully loaded at 14,000 lbs. Details - Load Trail LLC) I will seriously consider replacing my F250 diesel, I know they can do it, just a matter of if and when, in the mean time I do not have another option.

An electric pick up with these capabilities coupled with being able to use the truck in place of a large on site generator would be a game changer for so many contractors that it seems only a matter of time now.

Reactions: outdoors
I think the look of the pickup is critical to the success. When they launched the S, X and 3 the look of the cars was good, the pickup rendering is abnormal compared to an F150
Sure, but proposed composition is actually quite beneficial - you have less overhang / better visibility in the front, and shorter overall length with same size bed. Although I think diving into truck market right now even for Tesla is like jumping into empty pool, I should admit the exterior design to be fresh and practical.

I think the look of the pickup is critical to the success. When they launched the S, X and 3 the look of the cars was good, the pickup rendering is abnormal compared to an F150

_Tesla's_ success.
3SR critical.
Y critical.
Pick-up, not critical.

Add in almost everybody having developed a resistance to Musk's hyperbole and the result is going to be apathy.

_Tesla's_ success.
3SR critical.
Y critical.
Pick-up, not critical.

Add in almost everybody having developed a resistance to Musk's hyperbole and the result is going to be apathy.

Two points. First the person you quoted was talking about critical to the pickup's success not Teslas. Second, given how big pickup sales are in the US I would say that yes the pickup is critical to the companies success. Also Tesla cannot afford to have a failed product. They have to succeed with every vehicle or risk investing a large amount without getting that investment back.

It doesn't seem that with existing technologies neither Tesla nor any other EV vendor has chance to touch mass pickup market. So even if the truck technically succeeds in it's own premium/performance niche, the overall revenue may not be enough to offset R&D expenses even.

I can't believe no one is commenting on the look of this pickup

I saw this render on inside EVs that looks a lot like the Tesla version, but closer to reality in typical pick up size. If Tesla goes with something like this, I'll be another day one reservation holder

DtMfg_IXgAAonL_
https://twitter.com/evDOTnetwork/status/1068232197906276352/photo/1

I was hoping for another "Roadster" like reveal with the Truck but I read somewhere that invitees to the Y reveal got an invite to a future Truck reveal if you cant make the Y. Is this confirmed? That would be a bummer, it would be a true spectacle at the Y reveal to drop that kind of hammer. Even better, they sold 30 model Ys at the reveal and you could also lay a deposit for the truck..

Semi/Roadster event ruined me forever....

Last edited:
I can't believe no one is commenting on the look of this pickup

It's not a pickup. It a medium duty truck spawned from the attention and funding Rivian has received.

Elon: Mine is bigger.

This would be a fun project if Tesla's other commitments were properly funded. But Tesla isn't entering the american pickup market with the vehicle he's talking about. Hopefully they will just show a prototype and then move on to important projects.

Exactly. In SEMI there's no single obvious disadvantage of EV technology. Even higher weight may be a useful feature for traction and stability. But it's completely different application.
So yes, fashionary EV pickup for premium SUV market - maybe. But all the money are sitting with F150 crowd, which is clearly unreachable for EV tech today. And traditional truck manufacturers are releasing hybrids soon, which will place them even higher.
So no "one size fits all". EV vendors should pick their battles.
Almost agree. Higher weight is indeed an issue. Tractor-trailer rigs are limited in some places to a combined 80,000 pounds. Every pound in the non-revenue-producing tractor reduces payload by that amount.

Almost agree. Higher weight is indeed an issue. Tractor-trailer rigs are limited in some places to a combined 80,000 pounds. Every pound in the non-revenue-producing tractor reduces payload by that amount.

Yes. That 80,000 lb weight includes the entire rig and what it is carrying.
Every pound of truck is one less pound they are getting paid to haul.
I can see city use. Long haul not so much.

lower running range, inconvenience of charging and potential reliability issues.
With the trucks, practicality, range and reliability are first three features. Unfortunately, EV tech at this point compromises all three of them.

Fully agree!

Love my S and 3 for what they are, however, there is just no way I would consider changing my mind on a new Ram rated @ 1000 lb. ft. of torque that has a 35,000 pound towing capacity even though I only need to tow 26,000 pounds or my much lighter off shore go-fast. I could never remain as patient with the growing pains of a Tesla truck with all its techy gimicky party tricks (BFD) including production delays as I have been with the S and 3. Not interested.

Last edited:
Fully agree!

Love my S and 3 for what they are, however, there is just no way I would consider changing my mind on a new Ram rated @ 1000 lb. ft. of torque that has a 35,000 pound towing capacity even though I only need to tow 26,000 pounds or my much lighter off shore go-fast. I could never remain as patient with the growing pains of a Tesla truck with all its techy gimicky party tricks (BFD) including production delays as I have been with the S and 3. Not interested.
Ive been all in for a while now... but there are too many dealbreakers. Ugh.