Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricians Ripping Off EV Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got quoted $300 by the electrician who re-wired our house a few years ago - The Electric Connection. Panel is on the other side of the wall so no cost to run any wire or conduit. Even at that price did a DIY and all is well.

Well... not really. The guy going into $12.95 steakhouse might be driving a Tesla and sitting next to a guy that pulled in with his 1997 Camry with 240K on the odometer. The difference is that they both got same, reasonably priced steak and stayed away from Ruth's Criss Steakhouse.......
My point is that there is a difference between a $12.95 steak and a Ruth's Chris steak. Those that can't tell the difference by all means should buy the cheaper one. But treating them like a commodity like all things are equal except the price, then claiming gouging by the higher priced item/service can be frustrating for those of us vendors who really take pride in providing better service than others. I know I'm really going further away from the original discussion with steaks, car detailing, and NEMA outlets, but I guess that was my long-winded way of saying that not all services or products are equal.

OT. If a detailer down here told me they wanted to charge me $700 for a full detail (no paint correction no nano coating) I'd think they were ripping me off too. Must be very different up there.
Prices are definitely higher here for detailing than in SoCal, but I imagine if you wanted a full detail on a black Suburban that hauled 4 kids around you should be looking at at least $500 even in SoCal.
Then again, it's all about the quality that the client is expecting and the current condition of the vehicle.

My point is that there is a difference between a $12.95 steak and a Ruth's Chris steak.

Yes, but not not at three to four times the cost given both have been inspected by the USDA and have been prepared similarly. Quite frankly, and where I live, I can currently buy an excellent rib eye for $4.99 lb. at the local market and prepare it myself (DIY). How much work is required in preparing an Alton Brown seared rib eye? Zero work IMO and the best ever.

Last edited:
Prices are definitely higher here for detailing than in SoCal, but I imagine if you wanted a full detail on a black Suburban that hauled 4 kids around you should be looking at at least $500 even in SoCal.

I doubt it. First, down here they will wash and clean the car inside and out for around $25. After washing, and it's unfortunate, an undocumented worker will detail the car nicely and have it done in four hours. In the end, you're looking at $150. Yes, prices in Beaverton are definitely higher. I bought my 1997 Camry used three years ago for $500. Runs like a top! I know few people that would pay $500 for a detail unless they were lighting their cigars with $100 bills.

Last edited:
Yes, but not not at three to four times the cost given both have been inspected by the USDA and have been prepared similarly. Quite frankly, and where I live, I can currently buy an excellent rib eye for $4.99 lb. at the local market and prepare it myself (DIY). How much work is required in preparing an Alton Brown seared rib eye? Zero work IMO and the best ever.
can't.be.serious.must.be.trolling.but.I'll.bite

USDA has 3 grade ratings. If you want a nice marbled ribeye from a young cow, you get USDA Prime. If you want a pretty-good, but not top-notch quality steak, you get USDA Choice. If you want a ribeye for $4.99/lb, you'll get USDA Select, which means it'll be less juicy, less tasty, requires more work, etc. but hey, it's $4.99/lb. Also, don't get me started on aged beef, your $12.95 steak isn't going to be aged, unless you count the time it lays on the counter.

Last edited:
Just like anything else this is my thought:

Electrician hears or sees "Tesla" and equates that with someone who has $$$. Just like someone would assume you were loaded if you drove a late model Bentley, or Porsche or anything else expensive... regardless of how you acquired the vehicle, home, clothes, etc...

Maybe I scrimped and saved for my Model S?
Maybe I make $175k a year
Maybe I have rich parents
Maybe I can barely cover my expenses

Assume all right??

I found this electrician from other Tesla owners on the community Nextdoor group, he did a fantastic job, and charges me $200, including all the parts. My setup is fairly simple, main panel is just on the exterior wall outside the garage, so no long wires to run. Reading this thread makes me really appreciate the electrician.

That's a very reasonable price and shows those other quotes are inflated.

First, I have to say that I have a good electrician but he recently quoted me almost $500 to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet, not including the $115 the city wanted for a permit. WTF?

Got the permit and went down to my local Home Depot and picked up $40 worth of quality parts.

I guarantee I'll be charging on Friday night, all for $155 (including permit) and a little of my time.

Reality check: Most people would be HAPPY to pay someone $400-500 to install a 14-50.

well I will cough up what I did.

I hired a licensed contracter.

Needed a 50 amp breaker installed and a 14-50 outlet in garage

Said I didnt have room in my current panel and installed a sub panel, moving 60 amps of breakers to that panel

and installed the new 50 amp breaker in the old panel located outside.

pulled wire through metal conduit to new 14-50 outlet.

Installed outlet in wall.

Informed me that I did not need a permit.

If i was going to upgrade to a new panel i would need a permit.

I did not get multiple bids

paid 700.00

prior to this I had my panel and electrical inspected when my Solar was set up and incorporated into my panel.

Solar city stated that needed a permit.

So far charging with my mobile connector for two weeks and no issues.

Hope all remains that way.

Tip: Don't tell the electrician you need the work because you're getting a new Tesla.

Explain that you're getting a welder in order to work part time in the evenings to make extra cash. Of course, that might not work if you have a $950,000 house/garage.

Disagree vehemently with the advice that a customer should lie first.

Do research. Use services (Yelp, Angie's, etc.). Call/email and explain that you're looking for competitive pricing on a simple job. You don't need to boast, but you can let them know you understand the scope. If you don't like what they have to say, take your money elsewhere and leave corresponding feedback.

There are honest people in the trades. Its pretty easy to find them.

Called one tesla recommended electrician and one electrician referred by a friend. The tesla guy stood me up twice. The referred guy quoted 375 plus 200 for permit. Seems reasonable so went with him. He asked if it was for tesla and I told him yes.

Think about it. A highly paid journeyman electrician in California made $43/hour in 2014. Double that for self-employed folks to cover their benefits. That's $86/hour (excluding permit) for the one hour of time it took me to perform my own installation. Double the $86/hour for the 30 minutes of travel time to and from the residence. Add to that $40 of materials (less for contractors), which makes the labor installation and parts a generous $212, again without permit. Anything that doesn't require more than a few feet of of EMT (one stick) and costs $250 or more, is certainly gouging in my mind. It's also consistent with post #67.

There's no magic about installing a NEMA 14-50 if your main panel can support it. The electrician that wants to provide a quote will certainly check do see if your main panel can accommodate the 50 amp breaker given the service (100 or 200 amp panel). I took a very basic electricity course 50 years ago and had no problem installing my outlet. Naturally, if you know nothing about basic electricity, go ahead and pay an electrician $1,500 to install it for you. Don't risk being electrocuted. If you light your cigars with $100 bills, go ahead and pay whatever your installer asks.

Reactions: Lightmatrix
Disagree vehemently with the advice that a customer should lie first.

Do research. Use services (Yelp, Angie's, etc.). Call/email and explain that you're looking for competitive pricing on a simple job. You don't need to boast, but you can let them know you understand the scope. If you don't like what they have to say, take your money elsewhere and leave corresponding feedback.

There are honest people in the trades. Its pretty easy to find them.

There's no ethical reason required to tell the electrician what you plan to use the 14-50 outlet for.

Asked for an RV outlet install for an EV charger. Whole job was very reasonable (around $400 including adding conduit and all supplies). Took a few hours and that cost included correcting a couple other minor things that we found in the panel when doing the job. However I received a recommendation for the electrician first, which I think is really key.

Reactions: Chopr147