Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America general discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's all per stall. But no, there's no 2 charging sessions per day per stall in these numbers. It started in January as 0.5/day and ended the year around 1.25 per day. Definitely lots of increase -- but increase from a start where many of the stations would not see anybody on a typical day.
Oh I see. I thought the 1.25/day was the average over the year. I was trying to get end endpoint from beginning and the average.

On December 1st I added 10 miles while testing a CCS adapter at an Electrify America charger.
They put a $50 hold on my credit card that showed as pending on my credit card account.
Today (12-5) it now shows as a completed sale of $50.
I figure, at 43 cents per kWh the charge should be less than $2.

Do you think they will correct this eventually without my intervention or should I get involved now?

On December 1st I added 10 miles while testing a CCS adapter at an Electrify America charger.
They put a $50 hold on my credit card that showed as pending on my credit card account.

Do you think they will correct this eventually without my intervention or should I get involved now?
Did you pay from the app, or did you use the credit card reader?

I'd call EA now

https://twitter.com/ElectrifyAm has been tweeting about their site upgrades.

Examples:
Well how about that, BTCPower figured out how to make a 500 amp charger!

Hopefully, these will be more reliable than the Francis BTCPower chargers.
I watched
a day ago so I don't have it memorized. He's at at full BTC Power (for dispenser and charger setup) with one remaining ABB (CCS and CHAdeMO). He claims that the next gen units are joint development between EA, BTC Power and Signet (at around 7:40). At ~8:30 he says he believes the dispensers are just from BTC but the chargers (these are behind the fence in cabinets) could be from BTC or Signet.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Apparently, the next generation chargers that EA has designed/installed don't work in the cold:

Interesting that the old, failure prone, ABB chargers that they replaced with these new "next gen" chargers still worked even in the cold.
You can see in the video what is happening.

The cable wouldn't click because of ice buildup.

It is likely that moving the cable holder from the front to the side caused an increase in snow deposit.

Electrify America probably need to install a cover above the cable holder.

Apparently, the next generation chargers that EA has designed/installed don't work in the cold:

Interesting that the old, failure prone, ABB chargers that they replaced with these new "next gen" chargers still worked even in the cold.
It appears that anyone relying on CCS chargers needs to use PlugShare and look for alternatives, like EVgo or ChargePoint. Not the best answer, but it’s one option during this cold snap.

Reactions: brainhouston
It seems that they have some inept techs, and don't have technology in place to prevent duplicate chargers from being setup, which then cause problems for people trying to charge:

There is a video that goes with that tweet. Not sure why the embed doesn't indicate that.

The situation at the EA station in the video is truly shameful.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
On this note, I used Harden Ranch Plaza - Walmart | PlugShare which was set to free per my post at Electrify America Complementary Session Check-in and the next gen dispensers there were SK Signet. Thanks to Kyle in another video for mentioning the dispensers could be BTC Power or SK Signet.

There was a lone station in the middle of the parking lot that wasn't upgraded and looked like ABB, which was that site had before.

FWIW, on my road trip to So Cal and Central Coast, CA and back to the Bay Area, for all my uses of EA (since I don't have a Tesla), although there might've been down charger(s), I was always able to charge. This is (IIRC), across 5 different sites (two I used multiple times). But, our temps weren't below freezing. The only next gen units I used were at the above in Salinas. The rest were Signet "v2" and ABB.

The funny part is that at 3 sites (Culver City, Pismo Beach and Harden Ranch in Salinas), I got free (complimentary session) juice. I was supposed to pay for Los Padres National Forest Headquarters | PlugShare but there ended up being some really weird lag with the app not realizing my session ended, even hours later. That session doesn't show up in my charging history and it looks like I'm not going to be paying for it.

So, my total usage of EA has been so far on BTC Power (lots), Signet v2 (quite a bit), ABB (not that much) and next gen unit with Signet dispenser (can't see chargers as they were behind walls). Never have physically seen EA Efacec and maybe never will. Have never personally seen Signet "v1" but I know they exist in CA.

Last edited:
Harden Ranch Plaza - Walmart | PlugShare has a pic of the label on the SK Signet next gen dispenser.
You can see in the video what is happening.

The cable wouldn't click because of ice buildup.

It is likely that moving the cable holder from the front to the side caused an increase in snow deposit.

Electrify America probably need to install a cover above the cable holder.
I don't know but Signet "v2" has always had the holsters on the side. Safeway | PlugShare is an example of those.

Ditto for EA Efacec (pic 3 at DCFC reliability – An open Letter to Electrify America) but those are all probably being ripped out and replaced if they haven't finished that yet.

The side holsters are actually a lot better. The BTC Power "v1" (first pic at the URL) in with the holsters in front suck in setups like Princeton Plaza Mall | PlugShare. The cables jut out into the parking spaces which might be too narrow. You may need to get out to push the cables back to avoid them contacting your car on the way in. Ditto when you exit.

I have a hunch about why sites like that have broken CCS tangs. It's possible that cars are contacting the cables on the way in/out, forcing them backwards/forwards, breaking their tangs or knocking the handles out of the holsters. If they fall, the tangs could break.
What are your experiences at EA stations? Are they still mostly empty? Now that Teslas have CCS adapters, are Teslas starting to be the dominant car at stations which are either distant from superchargers, or near to full or high-priced superchargers? It looks that way on Plugshare.
Depends on when and where. One local station to me used to be pretty empty but as long as it's not too late (say past 10 pm), it has some usage.

Westfield Culver City - North | PlugShare was fairly busy the times I went after dark (at least twice) for complimentary session juice. :)

The EA station near home which has been set to complimentary session for at least 3 days now has been pretty empty during the free juice period the 2x, I've gone. Nobody there first time. Second time, an ID.4 showed up.

I posted about Pismo Beach at Electrify America Complementary Session Check-in. That site had 4 DC FCs and usually 3 were in use (me, Ford F-150 Lightning + another car).

Last edited:
I thought someone posted this already but I can't find it.

has lots of profanity but it shows some EA Signet cabinet that let out the magic smoke. :) You can see the smoke at the beginning. He opens the door at 1:00. The style of those cabinets is like what I've seen at Signet "v2" sites.

Thanks for the clues to browse https://twitter.com/itskyleconner periodically. I skimmed some of it the other day and was amused.

Reactions: theothertom