Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, perhaps a solar panel for Teslas. Even a modest 5% gain in range daytime, and the ability to fully recharge in 3 summer days with full daylight is nothing to sneeze at.

That's just not realistic. I have a (small) 3kW panel installation on my house that takes probably 6 times the surface area of the car. In mid-summer I might produce 85kWh in 4-4.5 days in California. A solar panel on the car is nothing but a gimmick, and an expensive one at that.

That's just not realistic. I have a (small) 3kW panel installation on my house that takes probably 6 times the surface area of the car. In mid-summer I might produce 85kWh in 4-4.5 days in California. A solar panel on the car is nothing but a gimmick, and an expensive one at that.

<sarcasm>You are totally missing the point that Elon will deliver a 6kW solar panel the size of a Model S rear spoiler. That is obviously what he is talking about in the tweet!</sarcasm>

Really? Highest VIN with an A battery was 9331. We have quite a few cars before that with B batteries. There are a few S40. And all S60 CAN charge above 90kW, it's just that some may not have this feature enabled, yet.
So at most 10k cars are restricted to < 90kW and even if you argue to include all non-supercharging S60, with the 60 accounting for (depending whom you ask) somewhere between 15 and 25% of the cars... regardless how many of those are SC enabled (and I'd bet at least half are at this point) you are still a long ways away from a supermajority...
Let's assume your numbers are right (I'm not saying they aren't).

10k / 51% = 19,607

Were there 19,607+ Model S delivered to customers by 4/13/2013? Maybe there were but that number seems high to me.

Edit:

Model S Delivery Update - Page 482
Delivered at Fremont Plant today.
VIN#7773, 85 kWh, Multi-Coat Red, delivered April 12, 2013.

Judging by that post, less than 10k Model S total were delivered by Elon's announcement on 4/13/2013.

And 7773 is well below your 9331 cutoff for A batteries.

So I think I'm pretty solid in my recollection here.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that it's a reduction in charge time at level 2 chargers. What we don't need is more owners lining up to use Superchargers on long trips. If I recall correctly, Tesla filed a patent about a year ago dealing with charging technology. It might prevent locals from hogging superchargers just to top off
Ok. Here's the article about Tesla's charging patents from the June, 2014 AutoBlog. I believe that some of this has already been employed i.e. if you're a local, the maximum rate of charge at your nearby SC will be 60 mph. Take a look at the patent for more detail
Danny King
Tesla Motors is
quietly getting ready for an electric-vehicle charging station that could be considered smarter than the drivers using it. The California-based automaker has applied for a number of patents (details here) in which its super-quick Superchargers would be programmable to better manage what Tesla hopes will be a mass influx of thirsty Model S (and Model X and, potentially, Model E) EVs. This company thinks big.
Among other things, the patents detail a charging station that has multiple charging ports and that can manage multiple charging stages. It can also do things like redirect power to either whichever car arrives first or, by measuring the batteries' respective states of charge, who needs it the most. Heck, there's even a provision where the system can redirect power according to the drivers' intended departure time, i.e. whomever says they're sticking around the longest gets last charge. If the station could also get drivers to be truthful about such things, that'd be a real accomplishment.

Tesla has already had a lot of success with its Supercharger network, which is now expansive enough to exclusively power a cross-country drive. Earlier this month, a
couple of Model S vehicles went from Los Angeles to New York City using nothing but Superchargers and pulled off the trip in 76.5 hours (the blog posts are here). We're guessing those EVs may have broken the speed limit here or there, but don't quote us.

I am sure, reading your posts, wk057, that you know more about the battery that 99% of us. No chance of max range being extended?

Nothing in the battery would add any additional energy, no. I've tested capacity on several modules and it is as expected.

No reserve batteries or anything hiding in there either. Hehe

Having read them all, I'll take a crack at it:

(1) Efficiency increase. No doubt some new things were learned during the torque sleep development, and all RWD Teslas can now benefit. But nothing earth-shattering here.

(2) Trip Planning. Real-time NAV and 6.1 range prediction are quite good. Charging guidance that includes level 2 charging options would make it very hard to get stranded.

(3) Towing or mobile charging. These might become free services to anyone stranded under the new trip planning update.

(4) Range increase. It may soon be possible to order a "400-mile" Roadster pack, and a bigger pack for S/X might be unveiled too.

I like the idea of mobile charging under (3). A fleet of trucks with high-capacity diesel generators can quickly provide enough range to get to a charging point. This would be much less disruptive to a trip than flatbedding.

Okay, so you're disappointed by the amount of time charging takes, even with Supercharging.

That's understandable, to an extent. It is not, however, range anxiety. Range Anxiety is the "will I make it?" aspect, and having lots of charging stations and/or effective prediction and trip planning algorithms addresses this.

It may not make the S your favorite car for road trips, but it would eliminate anxiety. (And I think it'd make for a great road trip. But as always, YMMV. :) )

Again, I disagree. I have a great deal of anxiety about paying 150,000.00 for a car that becomes impractical when contemplating a 400 mile road trip...but I still did it. The issue for TM is how many people DONT because of the same issue. I'm not even touching on the range issues one my feel in their ad-hoc driving once they reach their destination. It is exactly this kind of range anxiety that will be leading the broader market into making the decision to not purchase an MS because they do 2 trips a year and don't feel comfortable because of the range issues. Also, the tweet noted over the air updates as the problem solver here.

And, do you really think the average consumer is OK with having to trip plan with algorithms and predictive outcomes for that exact moment when they need to charge? There are a few people on this forum that really geek out on that concept, but I join the average consumer in the thought that mapping your trip out like an airline pilot would be the catalyst for anxiety AND heartburn.

I'm hoping that it's a reduction in charge time at level 2 chargers. What we don't need is more owners lining up to use Superchargers on long trips. If I recall correctly, Tesla filed a patent about a year ago dealing with charging technology. It might prevent locals from hogging superchargers just to top off

Just to be clear, Level 2 EVSE's are not superchargers.

Nothing in the battery would add any additional energy, no. I've tested capacity on several modules and it is as expected.

No reserve batteries or anything hiding in there either. Hehe

Wk057,
If I wasn't about 99.9997% sure you are right about this after having watched your disassembly, I would have taken you up on $20 of the $100 you proposed. Just to have some action going on the outcome, always makes it more interesting :wink:

RT

It's going to be a navigation update, standardized across all cars including non-tech package cars that currently do not have Nav. It will use predictive range and route planning in conjunction with a major network like Plugshare. Maybe throw in some efficiency improvements to marginally increase range. Total guess on all of this.
Exactly. It's the only thing that makes sense, given the constraints of the tweet. Possibly throw in a couple of agreements with major L2 networks for icing on the cake.

While it may take a little longer, I believe you can make it Livermore to Hawthorne/?? SC destination with one charge. The average gas stop is 12 minutes. If you consider all of the gas stops that you have avoided during your local driving, you will have spent less time charging than you would have filling your tank with gasoline... I gladly trade a little longer on the distance trips (abiet not much) for the convenience of not having to feed the beast from the gas station.

I have a P85D so getting to Hawthorne from Livermore on a charge isn't possible...its about 350 miles. Livermore to Tejon Ranch is possible at 270miles away...at a constant speed of 65MPH and then waiting (if there is a spot available) for just over an hour to charge back up and make it to LA. comparing the two (ICE vs EV) im looking at

4.25hrs to make it to the SC in Tejon
1.00 charge time to make the next leg (assuming no wait)
2hrs to get to the Redondo Beach Charger
1.00 charge to make it over to the OC (no SCs close by there so range anxiety begins to set in)

In in an ICE I could do this within 6hrs comfortably and that doesn't account doubling it back (to get home) and the charging challenges one will have around town.

So, a weekend getaway turns into being a slave to your charge point...likely spending a good 6 or 7 hours of added time charging, thinking about charging. or worrying flat out about range. Over the course of that time spent figuring this all out, there is no doubt that "will I make it" becomes part of the way you think...the added hassle is most certainly a bed fellow to range anxiety.

I have a P85D so getting to Hawthorne from Livermore on a charge isn't possible...its about 350 miles. Livermore to Tejon Ranch is possible at 270miles away...at a constant speed of 65MPH and then waiting (if there is a spot available) for just over an hour to charge back up and make it to LA. comparing the two (ICE vs EV) im looking at

1.00 charge to make it over to the OC (no SCs close by there so range anxiety begins to set in)

In in an ICE I could do this within 6hrs comfortably and that doesn't account doubling it back (to get home) and the charging challenges one will have around town.

So, a weekend getaway turns into being a slave to your charge point...likely spending a good 6 or 7 hours of added time charging, thinking about charging. or worrying flat out about range. Over the course of that time spent figuring this all out, there is no doubt that "will I make it" becomes part of the way you think...the added hassle is most certainly a bed fellow to range anxiety.

I said one charge. I asume you are leaving home with a charge. You can charge Harris ranch, and make it to Hawthorne. One charge.

It's lost in this thread, but wanted to add to the posts talking about a nav update where you could see the Superchargers in use like on the Hawthorne map. Someone replied that doesn't tell you how crowded they'll be when you get there.

Maybe it can. Not only could the nav tell you which stalls are in use, it could also potentially tell you how many cars are on the way and even how much charge they'll each need when they arrive. The software could automatically calculate the most efficient charging protocol and direct cars to the correct stall when they arrive. This solves the newbie pairing problem and helps the SpC station operate in the most efficient manner. It could even give you the exact time of completion (and keep track of owners who don't unplug after being fully charged). This may become even more useful with Model 3.

In the long term, if you are not making this trip regularly, then there will be a greater savings in time with an EV over an ICE because of your everyday commute. If your goal is to have the absolute shortest time frame between the two distances then an ICE or an airplane will be faster.

Fundamentally, the two are just different from each other. If time is the driving choice in your choice of a car then even a Tesla will be slower unless you utilize the battery swap and it is available wherever you choose to travel. If that ever happens (and I don't expect it to) then Tesla, or whoever implements it, will always beat an ICE vehicle.

I had more range anxiety driving my rental through Nevada (Reno to Las Vegas) last week than I've ever had in my Model S.

The S knows where all of the superchargers are... my ICE rental knew nothing about gas station placement in an area I'm not familiar with. I stopped and topped off at every station I saw. They were pretty spread out as far as gas stations go.

Granted if I had my S at the time the route would have been different.... but no range anxiety.

It's lost in this thread, but wanted to add to the posts talking about a nav update where you could see the Superchargers in use like on the Hawthorne map. Someone replied that doesn't tell you how crowded they'll be when you get there.

Maybe it can. Not only could the nav tell you which stalls are in use, it could also potentially tell you how many cars are on the way and even how much charge they'll each need when they arrive. The software could automatically calculate the most efficient charging protocol and direct cars to the correct stall when they arrive. This solves the newbie pairing problem and helps the SpC station operate in the most efficient manner. It could even give you the exact time of completion (and keep track of owners who don't unplug after being fully charged). This may become even more useful with Model 3.

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines while following up on a post by RandyS. TM has enormous predictive capability not only through real time location data on the entire fleet, but also a mountain of historical data. The Nav could easily suggest the best arrival times at SpC given historical trends and current routes being travelled by the fleet. While on a trip this would help me decide whether to skip breakfast and grab it at my next stop or take my time and wait for the network to free up.