Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one thing I haven't seen is clarification on what exactly this will do for non-Tech Package owners. I think I'm going to have to wait a couple weeks to find out.

Elon kept talking about "updates to the Nav package" which some of us don't have.
It is somewhat rather confusing when there was a reference to the entire fleet. I do not have the Tech-Package either.

The one thing I haven't seen is clarification on what exactly this will do for non-Tech Package owners. I think I'm going to have to wait a couple weeks to find out.

Elon kept talking about "updates to the Nav package" which some of us don't have.

I think that when you and other non-tech package owners get 6.2, you'll be upgraded to have the navigation that wasn't part of the car before. So that'll be a nice boost - in addition to getting the new features revealed today.

It looks like there is no end in sight for the different technologies behind the two nav-maps though. (dashboard and center console)

so 1000+ posts of fanciful musings about how Tesla might distort the laws of physics or how Elon Musk's simple tweet about an OTA update might mean a myriad of hardware improvements etc. Now 1000+ complaints about how he only delivered an OTA update with useful software to help Range Anxiety. Maybe "end range anxiety" was overstating things but I think this announcement is exactly what we should have expected. Hypothesizing about how they might improve range without changing hardware etc. was fun and interesting but ideally we shouldn't have built up an expectation of these fringe ideas that didn't really fit with Elon's tersely tweeted communique. OK, back to expressing disappointment - gpetti out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426787554.011047.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/teslarati/status/578601203610705921

Just to state my opinion on this news released today, it looks like another "very nice" upgrade. Not earth-shattering, not revolutionary, but a lot better than a minor streamlining or reworking. It's going to be a very nice addition. There have been several of these very nice upgrades over the past year, and I think if they continue at this rate it's going to result in an unassailable advantage for Tesla.

It'll be great to live in San Diego and say to the car "I'd like to drive to Quebec without spending a penny on fuel. Where do I go?" and the car will work it out for you.

Or... Madrid to Moscow. Or... Lijiang to Harbin. etc. etc.

When the Model 3 hits, and people are driving long distances for free... it's going to make life for gasoline car makers pretty difficult.

The mention that whether superchargers will be available or are available needs one very critical piece of crowd sourcing or it will fail.

MS users who arrive at an SC need to be able to declare via the interface that a stall is ICED and which one it is. Otherwise Tesla will tell you it's available when it isn't.

The mention that whether superchargers will be available or are available needs one very critical piece of crowd sourcing or it will fail.

MS users who arrive at an SC need to be able to declare via the interface that a stall is ICED and which one it is. Otherwise Tesla will tell you it's available when it isn't.
That is a very good point. Hopefully they add the ability to report ICE'd stalls if it's not already in the software.

It may already be there, but ICEing not the sort of problem you draw attention to at a press conference.

That is a very good point. Hopefully they add the ability to report ICE'd stalls if it's not already in the software.

It may already be there, but ICEing not the sort of problem you draw attention to at a press conference.
I've reported ICEd stalls at superchargers several times in the past and Tesla always seemed remarkably disinterested in the information and told me at least twice "there's nothing we can do"...

The newer models can sense if there are cars parked in the next-door parking bays, and can relay this information back to Tesla, which can then in turn check against the charger database to deduce whether a stall is ICE'd. All without user intervention.

sort of on topic (model 3 range comment by EM)*

What's the realistic energy usage for an s85d at 10 degrees Fahrenheit? I ask because for the model 3, that should be at most around 250 Wh/mi.

I'm assuming 350,000 60 kWh Gen 3 and 150,000 85 kWh Gen 2. That adds up to 33.75 gWh/yr in total vehicle capacity. This sounds about right from all the Gigafactory threads Assuming 50 kWh available, model 3 needs to get 250 Wh/mi In those conditions. The number is 275 Wh/mi with 55 kWh available.

Do these numbers seem sensible?

This announcement has made this Tesla investor and future MX owner happy. I like the mix of goodness for new and older models.
I'm glad they underscored the policy of free SCs for Tesla owner who have businesses. Maybe that will encourage more to get them installed.
(I don't understand why all major gas stations with convenience and fast food stores don't have charging facilities by now. It is good business and not having them won't hinder EV sales. )

What's the realistic energy usage for an s85d at 10 degrees Fahrenheit? I ask because for the model 3, that should be at most around 250 Wh/mi.

You're leaving out too many pieces of condition information for anyone to give you a good answer even if they had it. Which I don't think anyone can really give you a good answer. No idea where you're coming up with 250 Wh/mi for the model 3 under those conditions. We have no idea what the model 3 even looks like so who knows what drag coefficient it has.

This announcement has made this Tesla investor and future MX owner happy. I like the mix of goodness for new and older models.
I'm glad they underscored the policy of free SCs for Tesla owner who have businesses. Maybe that will encourage more to get them installed.
(I don't understand why all major gas stations with convenience and fast food stores don't have charging facilities by now. It is good business and not having them won't hinder EV sales. )

Depends on the cost to upgrade the facilities for 100A service (80A delivery) and the return on that investment. I've charged at a Shell station in TN at 30A out of necessity and it wasn't much fun. Destination charging programs are for destinations and that Shell station certainly wasn't. I did buy a few things out of appreciation, though.

He didn't say free superchargers for businesses AFAIK he said free charging equipment for businesses. As in if a business wants charging Tesla will send a HPWC for free to be installed at the location as destination charging not supercharging.

Maybe someone already said this because this thread is moving fast, but now that you can program your car to it's destination, coupled with Autopilot (and it's upgrades over time), this is basically getting in your car and letting the car do the driving right? Almost autonomous driving.......

Maybe someone already said this because this thread is moving fast, but now that you can program your car to it's destination, coupled with Autopilot (and it's upgrades over time), this is basically getting in your car and letting the car do the driving right? Almost autonomous driving.......

Sort of, Elon made it clear in the press conference that Autopilot is really for major road/highway driving. From the R&T live blog:

Regarding the claim that Auto Steering can drive from San Francisco to Seattle: "It's technically capable of going from parking lot to parking lot. But we won't be enabling that for users with this hardware suite because we don't think it's going to be safe in neighborhoods where there's no lane markings and kids playing in the street. It will only be enabled if you're on a highway or major road."