Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a "40" owner, there's plenty that could be done to help range anxiety over the air. Having plug share on the touch screen would not help, that's what my phone is for. And charging at +18mph isn't exactly an option for road trips. Paying $11k for the battery unlock and $2500 for supercharging isn't ever going to happen.

Interesting to hear Jerome Guillen mention the update will be to the firmware suggesting it's something to do with the drivetrain / motor.

Sorry, no, "firmware" is not "hardware".

See Firmware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote: "In electronic systems and computing, firmware is "the combination of a hardware device, e.g. an integrated circuit, and computer instructions and data that reside as read only software on that device". As a result, firmware usually cannot be modified during normal operation of the device.[1] Typical examples of devices containing firmware are embedded systems (such as traffic lights, consumer appliances, and digital watches), computers, computer peripherals, mobile phones, and digital cameras. The firmware contained in these devices provides the control program for the device."

Hundreds of posts here but I don't see anyone noting the fact that Elon spoke of this upgrade all the way back in the Q4 earnings meeting. It seems like if it had been in the works for that long, many of the speculations here don't make sense, especially the idea that he is calling the press conference just to hype things up because of recent stock downturns. Until this tweet, I was almost wondering if his comment was a joke about the 007 Easter Egg. I doubt though that he would joke like that in the earnings report though. Too much legal liability.

Seems to me that range anxiety comes from two sources - the range in the battery itself, and the ability to rapid charge (without Supercharging). Both are within TM's power to adjust. We already know from the very smart people on this forum that there is a buffer built into capacity of the 85kW battery. And, we know that the charge rates are on the very low end of capacity (assumed to avoid overheating)...adjustments to both would all but eliminate the range issues. Combine that with some further evidence of the build out of Supercharging and you really cover everything off on this topic.

I'm going to cross post this because I think it is important to this discussion:

I was upgraded to Firmware 6.1 2.2.179 with a ranger last week. While he was installing he indicated that this update while mainly for the D models, WILL INCREASE RANGE, by providing better efficiency while coasting or at low cruising power levels, I would also notice a difference in my P+. Last night I did a drive to my Dad's house, which is a trip I do almost weekly. I normally use 310 to 320 Wh/mi. Following this upgrade, I used 272 Wh/mi. This is a HUGE increase in range!! This is only the first evidence I have.

Does anyone else have this version yet? Are you seeing the same increases??

For those of us without a car can you clarify how much a 40 Wh/mi decrease would effect range on a 60 and an 85. Thanks.

I'm going to cross post this because I think it is important to this discussion:

I was upgraded to Firmware 6.1 2.2.179 with a ranger last week. While he was installing he indicated that this update while mainly for the D models, WILL INCREASE RANGE, by providing better efficiency while coasting or at low cruising power levels, I would also notice a difference in my P+. Last night I did a drive to my Dad's house, which is a trip I do almost weekly. I normally use 310 to 320 Wh/mi. Following this upgrade, I used 272 Wh/mi. This is a HUGE increase in range!! This is only the first evidence I have.

Does anyone else have this version yet? Are you seeing the same increases??

+100

Quote: "In electronic systems and computing, firmware is "the combination of a hardware device, e.g. an integrated circuit, and computer instructions and data that reside as read only software on that device". As a result, firmware usually cannot be modified during normal operation of the device.[1] Typical examples of devices containing firmware are embedded systems (such as traffic lights, consumer appliances, and digital watches), computers, computer peripherals, mobile phones, and digital cameras. The firmware contained in these devices provides the control program for the device."

The definition of firmware should be read carefully. Actually firmware is software for devices like microprocessors and other integrated circuits. But firmware is software not hardware.

The point I was trying to make was firmware update was mentioned by Jerome and as I understand it firmware is more about the code that controls the drive of the car compared to software which might relate to the user UI.

It's all speculation at the moment but the excitement of a code update to make the motor more efficient is an exciting development and im probably looking for and twisting information to force this idealistic thought.

Gotta hope right ;)

- - - Updated - - -

So does Elon read these forums as the only place I saw tweet and stock price mentioned is this forum and the tesla forum.

Did someone run another controversial story on this?

The point I was trying to make was firmware update was mentioned by Jerome and as I understand it firmware is more about the code that controls the drive of the car compared to software which might relate to the user UI.

It's all speculation at the moment but the excitement of a code update to make the motor more efficient is an exciting development and im probably looking for and twisting information to force this idealistic thought.

Gotta hope right ;)

- - - Updated - - -

So does Elon read these forums as the only place I saw tweet and stock price mentioned is this forum and the tesla forum.

This article refers to it as a tactic. Possibly responding to this article.

Elon Musk Goes To Twitter To Support Tesla - Yahoo Finance

If you had devoted a decade and substantial amount of your energy to developing something, and if there was one forum of enthusiasts from around the world who generally love what you've done, and were regularly offering opinions (admittedly of varying quality), would you occasionally check it out?

Of course Elon checks on this once in a while. I'm sure he does more-so after what he knows will be a controversial comment/tweet/press release. It's probably the one way that he can get DIRECT personal and unfiltered feedback from his most dedicated supporters.

I also wouldn't be surprised if somebody in his organization is assigned to post here once in a while, not as a shill, but to help manage expectations. Perhaps Elon himself does it.

I imagine Tesla partnered with ChargePoint, PlugShare, and other EV network companies to create a single pay and navigation layer platform. The nav system knows where each charge port of each network is relevant to each model s' given route. Model s can pull up to and charge from any port on any network and be auto billed for the amount of electricity pulled from the port. A single pay platform could be used by other auto manufacturers also. What EV owner wouldn't want the convenience of such a system? I'm sure others have stated this same type of idea, but this was my specific take on it.

If you had devoted a decade and substantial amount of your energy to developing something, and if there was one forum of enthusiasts from around the world who generally love what you've done, and were regularly offering opinions (admittedly of varying quality), would you occasionally check it out?

Of course Elon checks on this once in a while. I'm sure he does more-so after what he knows will be a controversial comment/tweet/press release. It's probably the one way that he can get DIRECT personal and unfiltered feedback from his most dedicated supporters.

I also wouldn't be surprised if somebody in his organization is assigned to post here once in a while, not as a shill, but to help manage expectations. Perhaps Elon himself does it.
If you were the CEO of a couple of companies and on the board of a few more with probably an 80-90 hour work week... would you spend time on TMC?

Oh wait, there are people here who probably have 80-90 hour work weeks. Not sure I proved my point :rolleyes:

As a "40" owner, there's plenty that could be done to help range anxiety over the air. Having plug share on the touch screen would not help, that's what my phone is for. And charging at +18mph isn't exactly an option for road trips.

^This. That's why it has to be something that better integrates SpC into the Nav and takes advantage or historical data. An all around improved SpC experience would be much, much more valuable than Plugshare, Recargo, or whatever integration.

I imagine Tesla partnered with ChargePoint, PlugShare, and other EV network companies to create a single pay and navigation layer platform. The nav system knows where each charge port of each network is relevant to each model s' given route. Model s can pull up to and charge from any port on any network and be auto billed for the amount of electricity pulled from the port. A single pay platform could be used by other auto manufacturers also. What EV owner wouldn't want the convenience of such a system? I'm sure others have stated this same type of idea, but this was my specific take on it.

Great idea but those "other chargers" are too slow.

Some guy posted that his car apparently had an early software update. (post#404).

Before the update, the car used around 310-320 Wh/mile. After the update, it used around 270 Wh/mile.

Assuming the car has 80 kWh available for use:

80kWh*1000=80000 Wh Total energy reserve.

Divide total energy reserve by energy consumed per mile: (before and after update) Oh, and lets assume the car used 320 Wh/mile before update.

80000/320=250 miles. EPA-spec is 265 miles. (i think?)

Now lets apply the "data" we have from post#404:

Assume 270Wh/mile, and usable reserve of 80kWh:

80000/270=296.29miles.

That´s an improvement of:

296.29/250=1.185=18.5 %, quite a lot, if it´s true that is. Now I have no idea what the available energy is to the actual engine, but let´s assume it is 85 kWh:

85000/270=314.8 miles. (But this is probably unrealistic)