Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms 10/19 Announcement is Model 3 Part 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can always technically be in the car and use self driving mode... especially if the driver is lazy, just there to chat with random passengers, etc.

Fair point.

In which case, I'd like to think Tesla is locking it down for security reasons.

Case in point: today's DDoS attacks going on on the East Coast. Coordinated attacks will become the norm. Anyway Tesla can insulate me and my Model 3 from that is OK with me.

But if you're using the Uber app on your phone, and no "transactions" are being processed through the car, then you're allowed to use those services with a human driver, because Tesla has no way of knowing what the human driver's intentions are.

However, yes, in autonomous mode, someone somewhere has to be able to digitally summon the car.

And while I understand people saying Tesla is doing it to protect a revenue stream, there's also a FANTASTIC reason they're keeping it locked down to their own app:

Security.

To be able to summon an autonomous car via an application, that application has to have access to certain portions of the car's software, as well as the network the car is passing it's data over.

If someone were to use Uber or Lyft as an internet backdoor to hack all autonomous-enabled Teslas.....that would be very very bad.

I applaud Tesla for "keeping people out", and I hope they highlight the security implications when they introduce the "Tesla Network" next year.
Correctomundo! The next hurdle, though, might be services such as Lyft and Uber suing Tesla for full access and ease-of-use or integration of their services with Tesla's autonomous cars. They would claim that Tesla had a 'monopoly' on fully autonomous ridesharing software that was somehow 'unfair' if their current partners are unable to match its capabilities. I'm not a judge, but if I were I'd throw out such a suit as frivolous... But I'm sure that some would entertain the arguments anyway.

You can always technically be in the car and use self driving mode... especially if the driver is lazy, just there to chat with random passengers, etc.

Therefore, people could still try to use it for uber/lyft.
Fine if you don't mind losing a seat. But if you were in the front passenger seat, that would have a butt sensor too...

Which reminds me of something that always bugged me about the people who are so insistent about the need for a longitudinal dividing wall to hold storage between the front two seats... Those are pretty high and wide in some vehicles. Whatever happened to the provision that someone with a learner's permit had to have a licensed driver in the front seat with them that was 'ready to take the wheel' at a moment's notice? How the heck does that happen in cars that have a center console high as your armpits? And how would a front seat passenger take over from an Autonomous car?

Turns out Tesla is using the brand new nVidia DrivePX system. NVidia press release: Tesla Self-Driving Car Built on NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 | NVIDIA Blog

Info about n DrivePX: Autonomous Car Development Platform from NVIDIA DRIVE PX2

It would be interesting to know what flavor of DrivePX Tesla is using.

And of course, there is yet another architecture just around the corner (a year away though) but it looks like it mainly reduces power consumption: Introducing NVIDIA Xavier | NVIDIA Blog
Though I've been very pessimistic about self driving, this I'm actually quite happy and positive about. I've always liked NVIDIA, and their GPU technology has become quite impressive. I would guess this will be great for both companies, Tesla and NVIDIA.

It should be noted that NVIDIA has long lived off of developing GPUs for gaming, and a small debt of thanks should go out to all gamers who have helped fund NVIDIA over the last decade or so to the point where they can now develop hardware for revolutionary non-gaming applications. It a nice thought that having some fun with gaming, something occasionally looked down upon, has actually helped advance society.

Though I've been very pessimistic about self driving, this I'm actually quite happy and positive about. I've always liked NVIDIA, and their GPU technology has become quite impressive. I would guess this will be great for both companies, Tesla and NVIDIA.

It should be noted that NVIDIA has long lived off of developing GPUs for gaming, and a small debt of thanks should go out to all gamers who have helped fund NVIDIA over the last decade or so to the point where they can now develop hardware for revolutionary non-gaming applications. It a nice thought that having some fun with gaming, something occasionally looked down upon, has actually helped advance society.
NVIDIA cards are also used in graphics design and CAD workstations extensively. I'm typing from just one of those machines now. :p
I suspect there is even more profits in those markets.

Reactions: Red Sage
EM made a comment recently that the linux OS was scheduled to be updated to 4.4 later this year, implying making the browsing/maps/etc much more responsive.

Thanks for letting me know that, @melindav. Elon speaks, off-the-cuff, in many places. :)

After 3.5 years of watching Tesla and owning an S, I'm pretty skeptical about any date-related promises. And at some point, a software upgrade isn't enough; you also need to refresh the hardware. I think it's unlikely that they're going to release any more significant hardware changes in the next three months, now that they've had the AP 2.0 announcement. So I'm either going to pull the trigger soon on a new S or wait until next spring.

Thanks,
Alan

If you pay the money and the feature is enabled, then it's a self-driving Tesla unless they specify language otherwise in the future.
I do not agree with you here. What you buy is a self-driving capable car, but it is only self-driving while it is actually - you know - self-driving.

But again, "self-driving" may need some definition. Is it "self-driving" (in the sense that Tesla meant in the blog) when using only what we now know as "auto-pilot" from the AP1 cars with hands on or near the steering wheel? Or is it when the owner/driver just tells the car where to go and do nothing more? Or is it just when the car picks up passengers without a driver? Or something in between this alternatives? Tesla may have to clarify this pretty soon.

And to all that say this was not the part 2 of the Model 3 unveiling:
What has Elon/Tesla said about the part 2? That it would make it clear/understandable why the dashboard/interior was like it was at the unveiling (#1), and that we would see it would be like an spaceship.

Level 5 self-driving does a lot to explain to me why they do not think we need all that information strait in front of the driver, and why they think it is safe to have in in the center.
And I do agree - going into the car and ask it to drive me to "Alpha Centauri" - ups, i meant "to work" - and then just sit back and enjoy the trip surly sounds like going with a spaceship.

So this did what Elon said would be the part 2 - but not what we thought he meant. And yes, I'm also disappointed, as I did expect more from #2 then this, but he has done what he said. And it will be a part 3 that hopefully will tell the rest of what we haven't learned yet. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: 1208 and MP3Mike
I'm almost glad he's holding the details of the model 3 close to his chest for now. I mean they announced that the model 3 would be a minimum of 215 miles and then GM decides to eek out more than that for the Bolt which was only supposed to have 200. I want the competition to be constantly guessing and trying to outdo themselves and others. Don't give the competition any time to copy future features.

When the Model 3 comes out I want it to absolutely be the best car, at that time, in that price range, better than any other car on the market at a price I can actually afford. Leave the competition scrambling to catch up.

Reactions: Model 3 and EinSV
The video of the Model X driving itself only really concerned me at one point -- the entry/exit from the parking lot. There was a solid yellow center dividing line that the car ignored entirely both on the way into and out of the parking lot. It was rather hogging the pavement at that point. I'm certain that far too many human beings take the turn in exactly that kind of lazy fashion. I'd hope that Autopilot/Autonomous would adjust to do a better job. Because it is lazy turns that lead to a lot of accidents, I'm sure. I'm the only person I know that signals turns while in parking lots. It would be nice if the car does that too. I'll have to see the video again to find out if the Autonomous Model X did or not.

The video of the Model X driving itself only really concerned me at one point -- the entry/exit from the parking lot. There was a solid yellow center dividing line that the car ignored entirely both on the way into and out of the parking lot. It was rather hogging the pavement at that point. I'm certain that far too many human beings take the turn in exactly that kind of lazy fashion. I'd hope that Autopilot/Autonomous would adjust to do a better job. Because it is lazy turns that lead to a lot of accidents, I'm sure. I'm the only person I know that signals turns while in parking lots. It would be nice if the car does that too. I'll have to see the video again to find out if the Autonomous Model X did or not.
That line is all my wife talks about from the video... she didn't care so much that it was self driving as much as the fact it crossed that line.

That line is all my wife talks about from the video... she didn't care so much that it was self driving as much as the fact it crossed that line.
Understood. Despite my position as your Friendly Neighborhood Over-the-Top Optimistic Tesla Motors Certified Apologist Fanboy, I'm still hypercritical of potential Autonomous driving systems. I want the cars to drive like I do -- only better. There are situations where I am more likely to hug the center line instead of the curb, or vice-versa. But each time I consider an especially wide turn to be inefficient and potentially unsafe. I do see how a blind turn, uphill, past a tall curving hedge, might cause an actual person to take it a bit wider, and certainly slower... But if I remember correctly, the car seemed to accelerate into the driveway, and across the center line. Had I been in a car heading the opposite direction, I would have likely been rather [PEEVED], to say the least.

There is a parking lot at a shopping center near me, where there is angled parking, with very clearly marked directional arrows, that it seems everyone but me completely ignores, driving 'IN' through the 'OUT' door all the time. Not one of the drivers is ever wearing a raspberry beret either, and they sure as [HECK] don't drive safely. It would probably be safer to allow the car to drive itself there.

I'm still hypercritical of potential Autonomous driving systems.

If you only consider Model S/X and they keep up with 2000 vehicles per week.
Each vehicle averaging 30 mi/day or 210 miles per week. Meaning:
~2000 vehicles * ~210mi/week * (1+2+3...52) = around 578,760,000 miles of data collected with the new hardware in one year after they start being delivered. This doesn't count Model 3 deliveries.

They mentioned demonstrating a trip from LA to New York by the end of next year, so it's a safe bet that it'll be at least a year before full autonomy is turned on. This is a lot of data to refine the DNN models. Hopefully in a short while relatively speaking they will be equivalent to human drivers. When you start factoring in Model 3 deliveries you can easily cross a billion miles before the end of 2017.

Hence, why I am very happy that Elon's minimum threshold for Autonomous driving is ten times as safe as a human. Hopefully not someone who is simultaneously eating breakfast, doing makeup, sending a text, lighting a cigarette, and wrangling children in the back seat. But ten times as safe as a very attentive driver.