Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk Quote: "But the car will be able to take you from your home to work, to a friends house, to the grocery store, um without you touching the wheel".

What can't others hear this?

"Technically, Elon is accurate not just then, but he is telling 100% truth now actually. Today, you dont have to touch the wheel, because when you adjust the stereo volume via the scroll wheel, if you are careful enough, you can touch the wheel with the tip of your finger without touching the wheel surface itself.
Also, for 2021+ S's and X's, they dont have wheels, but yokes. And Elon did NOT say ANYTHING about not having to touch the Yoke.

Today, FSD CAN take you from your home, to work, to a friends house, to the grocery store, etc. As long as the route doesn't have roundabouts, traffic lights at intersections, blinding sun facing you, or motorcyclists along the way. The drive should be perfectly fine. Not just on 12/31/2022, but today. It truly is fantastic technology. "

Elon’s strategy in these quarterly meetings is to make positive forward looking statements to keep stock price high, and he knows the Teslarsti out there will never call him on it. Now the new promise is “certainly, without question” L4 (no one behind the wheel) by end of next year. It will be interesting to see how the fanbois spin that one next Fall.

No one touching the wheel is different from nobody behind the wheel. First is L3, second is L4.

Elon’s strategy in these quarterly meetings is to make positive forward looking statements to keep stock price high, and he knows the Teslarsti out there will never call him on it. Now the new promise is “certainly, without question” L4 (no one behind the wheel) by end of next year. It will be interesting to see how the fanbois spin that one next Fall.
You say this like it’s some big revelation. Elon is hardly alone among CEOs in this regard.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and JohnB007
No one touching the wheel is different from nobody behind the wheel. First is L3, second is L4.
He said not touching the wheel this year and (likely?) no one behind the wheel next year. There are already systems that don't require touching the wheel and they are L2, not L3. No one in the driver seat would be L4 though.

OMG is this the 3rd week in a row he's said next week?? 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
Not sure about that, but it was fairly clear last week when he said "next week" that he meant next week, meaning this week's next week.

In short, next week is traditionally interpreted as the week after next in this context.

You have to account for the British influence on South Africa and the British expression e.g. "Monday week," etc., and you can see it's easy to just use the word week in the wrong place in a Tweet.

I just want to see the release notes, did they fix another YouTuber's left turn?
They haven’t fixed Chuck’s turn yet! Chuck hasn’t seen them testing recently. I’m hoping that means they were able to get it into the simulator and fix it. I think after this release I’m done betting @AlanSubie4Life that they’ll get 90% success. These beers aren’t cheap.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
🤣I think it's comical that they seem to have settled for 90%. I seem to remember other commitments (which, to be clear, were NOT promises - nothing was promised).
And that’s some subjectivity as to how many 9s you need. But I think we’ll be pretty close to having enough 9s that you can have no one in the car by the end of this year.
That means at least ONE NINE! Unless 9% is a 9.
I guess you’re right though that it’s not a promise…

That means at least ONE NINE! Unless 9% is a 9.
I guess you’re right though that it’s not a promise…
I've already mentioned that "pretty close" is doing a LOT of work here. Doesn't even mean one 9 as I read it, and whatever it means, that is by the end of the year, not now.

He just said they'll be pretty close to having enough 9s. That may not even be one. Still "pretty close." That could literally mean anything. And by "can" he might have meant "could," as in hypothetically, in the unexpected event that suddenly they made tons of progress.

• Informative
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I've already mentioned that "pretty close" is doing a LOT of work here. Doesn't even mean one 9 as I read it, and whatever it means, that is by the end of the year, not now.

He just said they'll be pretty close to having enough 9s. That may not even be one. Still "pretty close." That could literally mean anything. And by "can" he might have meant "could," as in hypothetically, in the unexpected event that suddenly they made tons of progress.
Yeah he’s never actually given a solid performance metric or what the current performance is by that metric.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Not necessarily. His statement could be interpreted multiple ways. It might mean that the Tesla plans to stop requiring the wheel tug. While this would be a welcome change for most, it's not necessarily a subject for big investors.

It could be interpreted to mean that the user does not need to touch the wheel for the purpose of steering the car. I.e., FSD (and FSDb) become good enough that interventions are the exception rather than the rule. This would be a significant step for FSD and would be something that is meaningful to investors.

I'm going with the second interpretation, though one should accept that this would happen in Elon Time and would certainly not plan for it to happen this year. My experience with FSDb is that disconnects are becoming the exception rather than the rule, though interventions (accelerator usage and speed changes) are still common.