Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

So looks like some FSD Beta users will get hands-free in Jan. Although I wonder how many users have 10k+ miles on FSD Beta. Probably not many. It will likely be the early testers. I suspect Tesla will still keep driver supervision though, just rely on the internal camera for driver monitoring.

Last edited:

So looks like some FSD Beta users will get hands-free in Jan. Although I wonder how many users have 10k+ miles on FSD Beta. Probably not many. It will likely be the early testers. I suspect Tesla will still keep driver supervision though, just rely on the internal camera for driver monitoring.

They should grade it less on mileage and more on performance. To some extent it seems to me they are already doing this. The nags and occurrence rate definitely seem to have changed of late. It’s hard to definitively say of course. It seems nearly torque free these days.

I keep my hands on the wheel all the time without actively torquing and I rarely see nags now.

It’s possible they even have control over this without a new release. I have no idea of course, but it is definitely something they can do.

I would like them to eliminate nags if your hands are on the wheel (without torquing). This is definitely possible with the cabin camera (as discussed elsewhere), even though it cannot see your hands or the wheel. The power of neural nets.

Although I wonder how many users have 10k+ miles on FSD Beta. Probably not many.

Haha, Tesla may be having some problems with their per-user miles driving metrics with FSD Beta. This will get the usage up!

Astute observers will note that Elon did not say that the update in January would remove the nags. He just said he agreed with the sentiment. He might have meant that, but there’s no commitment here.

What we really need to hear from Elon is when wide release will occur. There are signs that it may be getting close!

Last edited:

Will believe it when we see it. This is the same guy who over a year ago promised horn activation via airbag on yoke by “just an over the air update”.

And here we are..still

What is this, a new hoop for users to aim for while they work to make FSDb more reliable?

Maybe he means update as in more info, not software changes that will turn it off if you hit that magic milestone.

Long past 10k for me. This would be a Great transition. Would be wise to only offer it on AP highway only to those that don’t have a high strike history. I would be fine with camera monitoring for attention.

Reactions: edseloh and DanCar
It’s interesting how Elon’s response to this is somewhat inconsistent with his prior statements about who has problems with automated systems….

"One of the common misimpressions is that when there is, say, a serious accident on Autopilot, people – or some of the articles – for some reason think that it’s because the driver thought the car was fully autonomous and it wasn’t, and we somehow misled them into thinking it was fully autonomous. It is the opposite.

When there is a serious accident, it’s in fact almost always, maybe always, the case that it is an experienced user and the issue is more one of complacency. They get too used to it. That tends to be more of an issue. It is not a lack of understanding of what Autopilot can do. It’s actually thinking they know more about Autopilot than they do, like quite a significant understanding of it." - Elon Musk

“When there is a serious accident, it’s in fact almost always, maybe always, the case that it is an experienced user and the issue is more one of complacency. They get too used to it. That tends to be more of an issue. It is not a lack of understanding of what Autopilot can do. It’s actually thinking they know more about Autopilot than they do, like quite a significant understanding of it." - Elon Musk

I suppose the argument will be that “FSD is not Autopilot?” It’s revolutionary!

My explanation/argument would be that their driver monitoring is now the best in the industry, so in cars with the cabin camera not intended for the purpose but fully capable of it, they do not need to have hands on wheel (he’s not just agreeing with removal of the torque requirement, which could be done without removing the hands on wheel requirement). So Elon thinks they can catch all the overconfident and over-experienced users. I think they’d better be sure about that driver monitoring preeminence though.

Last edited:
Quote:
Imagine if Tesla came out with a $25,000 - $30,000 car that qualified for the $7,500 tax credit and it was running 2024 / 2025 version of FSD
that’s what they’re doing. it’s called the gen 3 platform
goal is to cost half of what it costs to make a 3 & Y so with the same budget you can get twice as many vehicles

Quote:
Imagine if Tesla came out with a $25,000 - $30,000 car that qualified for the $7,500 tax credit and it was running 2024 / 2025 version of FSD
that’s what they’re doing. it’s called the gen 3 platform
goal is to cost half of what it costs to make a 3 & Y so with the same budget you can get twice as many vehicles
Yep, TSLA needed to build something in that price range years ago. To get the cost out though it might need to be a no frills grocery getter with small wheels/tires and a hollow tin can sound when the doors close. TSLA would also need to figure out how to dramatically lower the cost of FSD as few $25k purchasers would consider plunking down another 60% on FSD.

Yep, TSLA needed to build something in that price range years ago. To get the cost out though it might need to be a no frills grocery getter with small wheels/tires and a hollow tin can sound when the doors close. TSLA would also need to figure out how to dramatically lower the cost of FSD as few $25k purchasers would consider plunking down another 60% on FSD.
In this future, those that cannot afford an FSD licence will simply use RoboTaxis/transport as a service model.

You have to re-think car ownership with this tech in the future. things will be very different.