Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my initial thought, but thinking about it more, if they are only calibrating camera images why do then need to drive on a road? Or is it actually calibrating how the car moves/turns with respect to the cameras? It seems like they should be able to design a calibration setup that does this quicker than driving for 20+ miles
I don't see any major problems with trying to do the calibration during factory production. However, working on a consumer product that could benefit from this, it's probably just too complex/expensive in terms of equipment, time, and process.

Though indeed it is possible that it also calibrates movement of the vehicle in terms of steering wheel angle etc.

When Elon cuts the price of his cars, the share price goes down...when he gives away free software, the shares go up🤔🤔🤔
Cutting prices is an indication of weakness in either the market or the company's products. Giving away free trials to your software is a statement of confidence that it's good enough to entice people to buy it. Given the financial significance of someday having robotaxis, investors get pretty optimistic when FSD makes notable progress.

That said, it's only up about 4%. It could easily lose that in a day.

it seemed quicker than the previous USS version of auto park, which often did many in/out manoeuvres to get into a space. yes could be quicker (which will likely come) but form what I can see much better than previous implementation.
Well that ain't saying much since the last time I used it I took a good nap then woke up was still only ½ parked. 🤣

For it to replace an average human (and for sure me) it will need to speed up by several orders of magnitude. Other than being a "parlor trick" to play around with.

it seemed quicker than the previous USS version of auto park, which often did many in/out manoeuvres to get into a space. yes could be quicker (which will likely come) but form what I can see much better than previous implementation.

FWIW for USS cars they updated it to use primarily vision way back in 2021-- that's why you went from only being able to park between 2 other parked cars (USS only) to being able to park in a total empty lot as long as there were parking lines.

The only really "new" thing here seems to be it works on non-USS cars and has a fancier visualization.

And the only reason I can imagine that it took so long is the "old" vision based system still relied on USS as an emergency "don't hit stuff" backup and it was a couple years before they got it good enough to risk rolling it out without that backup.

And here it is. Robotaxis! "3 million cars will be able to drive themselves with no one" "if not this year, no later than next year"
The funny part about this is that ChatGPT 4 was released a year ago and it doesn't seem to have replaced humans for much of anything yet.
Guy interviewing looking down at his notes, avoiding eye contact, “it goes back to THAT, right.”

And here it is. Robotaxis! "3 million cars will be able to drive themselves with no one" "if not this year, no later than next year"
The funny part about this is that ChatGPT 4 was released a year ago and it doesn't seem to have replaced humans for much of anything yet.
In the V12 AI thread just yesterday I posted that Elon for the first time in YEARS (2019 I think) hasn't made the "by the end of the year" prediction this year.🤪 Well........that didn't take long. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Uncharitable interpretation of “ChatGPT moment.” Clearly what is meant by this phrase is a huge shock to society about what is possible and now the near-future could look radically different than the present. It isn’t about replacing humans, it’s about waking them up.

Uncharitable interpretation of “ChatGPT moment.” Clearly what is meant by this phrase is a huge shock to society about what is possible and now the near-future could look radically different than the present. It isn’t about replacing humans, it’s about waking them up.
Elon is definitely talking about replacing human drivers. And I recall a year ago people were talking about ChatGPT replacing human jobs.

ChatGPT moment very clearly means “goes viral in the way ChatGPT did in November 2022”, when, let’s see, it replaced exactly 0 humans.
Yep, but he is saying that unlike ChatGPT it will live up to the hype. That’s why it’s an odd comparison to make. Though it’s probably an unintentionally accurate one. We’ll see what happens in the next two years.

Reactions: Mark II
That interview is about a year old.

Also, he's been saying "robotaxi 6-18 months" every single year for a decade. EVERY YEAR.
I completely missed that the interview he posted was almost a year ago.
He was right about ChatGPT moment in terms of hype (at least within the Tesla community.) Hopefully he’ll be wrong about it being a ChatGPT moment in terms of results.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life