Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EM: We don't use CNN:s anymore.
YLC: Yes you do.

*mic drop*
That's not an accurate summary at all.

Edit:

EM: We don't use CNNs much these days tbh
YLC: Curious to know how you could possibly do real-time camera image understanding in FSD without ConvNets, TBH.

There's maybe 10 alternatives in the comments. We don't know how much FSD is or isn't using CNNs. I doubt it will come out there, anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: willow_hiller
I can’t help but feel the general perception of Elon has taken a dive as of late. It does not appear to have affected Tesla drastically (unless you read Reddit) and I wonder if it ever truly would. I remember when watching his keynote presentations, that even though he wasn’t the best public speaker, it felt like he was speaking from the heart. I don’t think we’ve seen that Elon in a while.

I can’t help but feel the general perception of Elon has taken a dive as of late. It does not appear to have affected Tesla drastically (unless you read Reddit) and I wonder if it ever truly would. I remember when watching his keynote presentations, that even though he wasn’t the best public speaker, it felt like he was speaking from the heart. I don’t think we’ve seen that Elon in a while.
FACT: Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Elon was a super star stating/growing/innovating Tesla but now Tesla would GREATLY benefit from a "Tim Cook" to continue healthy and positive growth.

Edit:

YLC: Curious to know how you could possibly do real-time camera image understanding in FSD without ConvNets, TBH.

There's maybe 10 alternatives in the comments. We don't know how much FSD is or isn't using CNNs. I doubt it will come out there, anyway.

1716940451772.png

This might be news to Musk lol

Edit:

I haven't read any vision understanding papers that don't use CNNs in the past 6 years. To suggest that Tesla has invented something else is laughable. Tesla just implements the research, even under Karpathy, although scale and details are interesting.

Last edited:
You won't find any vision based neural network with significantly large picture viewing that doesn't use CNN. In other words all vision understanding systems use CNNs. To suggest that Tesla has invented something else is laughable.

Given Elon's arguing with LeCun, I think he means they're not using a traditionally conceived CNN architecture with convolution layer, pooling layer, and fully connected layers.

LeCun is trying to argue that all possible transformations of visual information attached to a neural network are derived from his work. Here he admits that a transformer could work with local attention, but then it's "conceptually" a CNN:

Given Elon's arguing with LeCun, I think he means they're not using a traditionally conceived CNN architecture with convolution layer, pooling layer, and fully connected layers. ...
Either way it is still CNN. From wikipedia:
Convolutional neural network (CNN) is a regularized type of feed-forward neural network that learns feature engineering by itself via filters (or kernel) optimization.
Transformer based CNN is still a CNN.
Yes you can twist the definition of things to not make you wrong, but that the twisting doesn't make you correct.
Since Elon is replying to Yann's use of CNN, Elon should use that definition or clarify he is changing the definition of CNN in his response.

Last edited:
Interesting as your previous post stated you just got FSD 2 weeks ago? Apparently in your imaged theory it could have happened since 2022?

“I am having the exact same experience as the OP and I just got FSD today. Terrible disappointment after seeing all of the MarsCatalog and DirtyTesla paid reviewers singing such praises. I decided to renew it for the first time in a year. Ehhh wrong answer. Wrong idea.”
LOL it isn’t as if I just got FSD for the first time in my life. I have had it multiple times and canceled after a few thousand miles on each test run.