Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are referring to the windows OEM model where you pay the Windows license fee as part of each computer purchase? The OEM version of windows is not transferable to a new computer even if it's compatible. If you buy a PC that has no OS, you cannot move it to the new computer.

Or maybe you are referring to the smartphone OS software model where you pay the OS license fee with every phone that you buy and cannot transfer that license to a new phone? Try asking Apple for a discount because you are replacing a broken iPhone and already bought the OS with your broken one.

Or maybe you are referring to the optional features model that high-end test equipment makers, like Agilent and Tektronix use for their products? It's very similar to Tesla. You buy an arbitrary waveform generator from one of them and pay a lot extra to enable the optional LTE waveform simulation that's already installed on the device. But, if you decide to sell your device, the optional software stays with that device. You cannot switch it to a replacement device, even if it's the same model.

If you are lucky, and keep your car long enough, Tesla might offer a discount on FSD like they are doing in China. The reason this might make sense for Tesla is to encourage you to trade in your existing license so that you can't sell it to someone else. Depending on the resale value of FSD at that time, it may make sense for you to take such an offer.

If I want I can reinstall my Windows software on another computer. I bought it, I can reinstall it on another computer, but only one at a time. I can get a new computer and install the Windows I already own on it. That was my point. I don't know about any of the other things you're talking about.

The purchase price has always leveraged fear of missing out to justify it's price despite features not being ready. It can always be higher than true "it is what it does today" market price if buyers believe they'll get something more later. It's essentially a Kickstarter.

Now that being said in recent years the price seems to high that its a disincentive to purchasing it, and instead it's expected that people will subscribe later on. The other possibility is it was cheaper liability wise to sell it FSD to fewer people for large amounts of money versus a smaller amount to a greater number of people.

Used car buyers are typically value seeking people so they're way less likely to get pulled in with promises of the future. They're a generally a good barometer of the true market price except for recent times as everything is upside down in the used car market.
FOMO for sure.

Elon Musk

@elonmusk

The FSD price will continue to rise as the software gets closer to full self-driving capability with regulatory approval. It that point, the value of FSD is probably somewhere in excess of $100,000.

7:48 PM · May 18, 2020·Twitter Web App

Retweets

Quote Tweets

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I bought FSD when it was $10k and I thought that was nuts but my wife wanted it so whatever…. But if Elon thinks it’s worth 100k, I think he’s delusional at best. I can’t see an individual forking out that kind of money unless they plan to monetize it also.
IMHO, I don’t enjoy using FSD anyways. I like driving, I like the feel of driving. This may sound stupid but I enjoy turning the wheel, stepping on the accelerator, flicking the turn signal. If I were to buy another Tesla, I wouldn’t buy FSD again, even at 50% off. I’ve tried it, been there, done that. But I understand that some people really marvel at the software and the ability that a car can drive itself. I’ll admit it IS cool but it’s just not for me.

The purchase price has always leveraged fear of missing out to justify it's price despite features not being ready. It can always be higher than true "it is what it does today" market price if buyers believe they'll get something more later. It's essentially a Kickstarter.

Now that being said in recent years the price seems to high that its a disincentive to purchasing it, and instead it's expected that people will subscribe later on. The other possibility is it was cheaper liability wise to sell it FSD to fewer people for large amounts of money versus a smaller amount to a greater number of people.

Used car buyers are typically value seeking people so they're way less likely to get pulled in with promises of the future. They're a generally a good barometer of the true market price except for recent times as everything is upside down in the used car market.
Fear of missing out? You could always add it on later on and for the last year or so you could also subscribe monthly. Why would there be any FOMO?

Fear of missing out? You could always add it on later on and for the last year or so you could also subscribe monthly. Why would there be any FOMO?
I believe the FOMO refers to the increase in the base price (this time, from $12k to $15k). The idea is twofold - (1), it makes you want to lock in the lower rate now; and (2), it gives the impression that something amazing must be right around the corner, because otherwise why would they be increasing the price?

Agreed that the subscription mitigates that to some degree. Me personally, though, I hate subscriptions and would much rather do a one-time purchase. For people like that, FOMO can still apply!

If I want I can reinstall my Windows software on another computer. I bought it, I can reinstall it on another computer, but only one at a time. I can get a new computer and install the Windows I already own on it. That was my point. I don't know about any of the other things you're talking about.

FYI that is true of a retail windows license.

It is NOT true of an OEM license.

An OEM license is tied to the device it was loaded on by the OEM- it's not legal to transfer it to another computer.

I bought FSD when it was $10k and I thought that was nuts but my wife wanted it so whatever…. But if Elon thinks it’s worth 100k, I think he’s delusional at best. I can’t see an individual forking out that kind of money unless they plan to monetize it also.
IMHO, I don’t enjoy using FSD anyways. I like driving, I like the feel of driving. This may sound stupid but I enjoy turning the wheel, stepping on the accelerator, flicking the turn signal. If I were to buy another Tesla, I wouldn’t buy FSD again, even at 50% off. I’ve tried it, been there, done that. But I understand that some people really marvel at the software and the ability that a car can drive itself. I’ll admit it IS cool but it’s just not for me.
Definitely "cool". Especially in youtube videos from say, past several months or so. By the way, seems most of the vids are routinely in San Fran, Cali, at night or evening, minimal traffic, etc. Im not seeing many FSD videos in say, downtown Washington DC smack during middle of rush hour. Or say, downtown manhattan during NYC rush hour driving. You know, the real life scenarios that one might encounter in say, going from NYC to LA...Or maybe Im missing those numerous videos? But yes, on deserted San Fran roads at 11pm on a Tueday night, FSD appears wonderful..

Definitely "cool". Especially in youtube videos from say, past several months or so. By the way, seems most of the vids are routinely in San Fran, Cali, at night or evening, minimal traffic, etc. Im not seeing many FSD videos in say, downtown Washington DC smack during middle of rush hour. Or say, downtown manhattan during NYC rush hour driving. You know, the real life scenarios that one might encounter in say, going from NYC to LA...Or maybe Im missing those numerous videos? But yes, on deserted San Fran roads at 11pm on a Tueday night, FSD appears wonderful..
Search and you will find. Infact most of the videos I watch are not from CA at all.

Search and you will find. Infact most of the videos I watch are not from CA at all.
1:45 mark. Real world. (Im still watching the rest of it) Literally the first vid that came up in NYC downtown...
7:16 its confused...

Yep. A bit different than the late night san fran videos already...

Im sure the fire 10.69 fixes all of the numerous disengagements and interventions he is having to do thus far..

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Only if you purchase the retail version of Windows. The OEM version that comes preinstalled on a new computer cannot be transferred.

Only if you purchase the retail version of Windows. The OEM version that comes preinstalled on a new computer cannot be transferred.
Don't know why you are arguing this. I gave a simple example that is true in my case, suggesting Tesla could allow software transfers like my Windows software.

I don't care if there are other software versions that don't transfer, my example is for the true case that I specified. That's what an example is.

Don't know why you are arguing this. I gave a simple example that is true in my case, suggesting Tesla could allow software transfers like my Windows software.

I don't care if there are other software versions that don't transfer, my example is for the true case that I specified. That's what an example is.
Yeah, give Elon the idea for a portable version of FSD that can be transferred from car to car (For $25k🤔).

Except your case isn't relevant.

Tesla does not sell retail software licenses with transfer rights, only OEM ones tied to specific hardware.

It's an entirely different thing, legally and financially.

You are correct. Tesla could do this. But they don't and have shown no interest in doing so. I don't know why people bring this up over and over again in the forum.

Reactions: RabidYak and Dan D.
Another future possibility that could quash the FSD price. Just like airbags, AC, power windows, antilock brakes, rear cameras, etc. once FSD is perfected to L4 and offered by all car companies it will likely become a standard feature and have NO added value. :eek: Of course that isn't likely to happen until "the end of the year". 🤣

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Another future possibility that could quash the FSD price. Just like airbags, AC, power windows, antilock brakes, rear cameras, etc. once FSD is perfected to L4 and offered by all car companies it will likely become a standard feature and have NO added value. :eek: Of course that isn't likely to happen until "the end of the year". 🤣

They might also remove AP as a standard feature and require monthly subscription to enable it.

Because, unless you are very old, chances are that you will not keep your Tesla for the rest of your life. If you have a lifetime license, you'd expect Tesla to continue to support it with free software and hardware upgrades - possibly for 50 years, depending on your age. And, since there would eventually be millions of lifetime owners, money to pay for those upgrades will ultimately have to come from a relatively few first time FSD buyers.

That logic actually applies to current setup. The car will have FSD for life, regardless who's hand is it in. So Tesla will need to "support" it. On the other hand, if the software license stays with the account, you would need a Tesla to use it. What additional support are we talking about? In fact, it would instill brand loyalty to come. if you rent a Tesla, you can enable FSD with your profile. It moves with you Tesla to Tesla.

Let face it, this is about money. They want you to pay for it again and again and again. In 10 years FSD will be $30k, I would be holding on to my 10 yr old Tesla and refuse to upgrade because I would have to shelve out $30k for FSD alone.... this model doesn't scale and doesnt make sense in long run.

Reactions: KArnold
That logic actually applies to current setup. The car will have FSD for life, regardless who's hand is it in. So Tesla will need to "support" it. On the other hand, if the software license stays with the account, you would need a Tesla to use it. What additional support are we talking about? In fact, it would instill brand loyalty to come. if you rent a Tesla, you can enable FSD with your profile. It moves with you Tesla to Tesla.

Let face it, this is about money. They want you to pay for it again and again and again. In 10 years FSD will be $30k, I would be holding on to my 10 yr old Tesla and refuse to upgrade because I would have to shelve out $30k for FSD alone.... this model doesn't scale and doesnt make sense in long run.

It's pretty obvious they're going to want subscriptions, for ongoing recurring revenue-- not one time purchases, in the long run. Especially if people are using it commercially for profit.

A one-time purchase that is good for life of the purchaser is exactly the opposite of a way to accomplish that goal. Purchasers tend to have much longer lifespans than vehicles.