Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....isn’t Cruise running robotaxis already with no human drivers in specific locations?....
(moderator edit) …in San Fransisco…

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you been living under a rock in San Fransisco? :oops:🤣

Lol not at all, my first question was rhetorical.. I’ve seen them zip by for sure. I was just setting up gently for second question, which, may I point out, you have not answered ;)

Reactions: RabidYak
Lol not at all, my first question was rhetorical.. I’ve seen them zip by for sure. I was just setting up gently for second question, which, may I point out, you have not answered ;)
I'll do one better and show you how to fish. ;) Here is a link to the SAE J3016 Levels and you can see it is clearly defined.

SAE.png

I may have missed a tweet here.

I know Elon said FSD was going to "wide release" (aka, no safety score requirement). And I think he did that on Nov 19 saying "Tesla FSD 10.69.3.1 going to wide release now".

No wide release yet.

Unrelated (but directly related to FSD Beta):

On the other hand, this Tweet makes me breathe a sigh of relief about AI - looks like we have nothing to worry about for a good long time. Nothing imminent. No worries, is the clear conclusion we can draw from this Tweet - we are a long, long way from dangerously good AI:

No wide release yet
Do you think Elon Musk / Tesla is not intending to make FSD Beta available as a simple toggle similar to Navigate on Autopilot right now? FSD Beta has been set up as a special installation process with a remote Safety Score and Autosteer verification before pushing an update, so the easiest step with the existing infrastructure was to have that remote check make FSD Beta software update available to the requesting vehicle.

It probably requires a bit more effort from the Tesla Vehicle Software team to make it a plain toggle as part of the production software, but at a high level, it's similar to pushing FSD Beta software to all vehicles. There's probably some usability improvements Tesla wants to make as part of this such as potentially:
  • avoiding the multi-hour delay in downloading/installing FSD Beta that people experienced with 10.69.3.1
  • making it not "Early Access Program" to reduce some confusion and complexity
  • simplifying the 5 strikes system to be more like the existing strikeout-until-parked system
  • increasing compatibility with more software and/or hardware versions
If not for the current "wide release" approach of 10.69.3.1 excluding those on 2022.40+ or MCU1, the alternative would likely have been people waiting even longer to get an "actually wide release" and probably keeping people on FSD Beta 10.69.2.4.

Given that Tesla has done larger holiday updates in December in previous years, it would also seem natural to bundle in FSD Beta toggle as well as giving everyone FSD Beta visualizations not unlike the 2019 holiday update with FSD Visualization Preview.
Although with FSD Beta in production, I would guess it's the end of our Safety Score "Early Access Program" and a bunch of complexity that brought, e.g., internal vs external and rollout percentages.

Do you think Elon Musk / Tesla is not intending to make FSD Beta available as a simple toggle similar to Navigate on Autopilot right now? FSD Beta has been set up as a special installation process with a remote Safety Score and Autosteer verification before pushing an update, so the easiest step with the existing infrastructure was to have that remote check make FSD Beta software update available to the vehicle.

It probably requires a bit more effort from the Tesla Vehicle Software team to make it a plain toggle as part of the production software, but at a high level, it's similar to pushing FSD Beta software to all vehicles. There's probably some usability improvements Tesla wants to make as part of this such as potentially:
  • avoiding the multi-hour delay in downloading/installing FSD Beta that people experienced with 10.69.3.1
  • making it not "Early Access Program" to reduce some confusion
  • simplifying the 5 strikes system to be more like the existing strikeout-until-parked system
  • increasing compatibility with more software and/or hardware versions
If not for the current "wide release" approach of 10.69.3.1 excluding those on 2022.40+ or MCU1, the alternative would likely have been people waiting even longer to get an "actually wide release" and probably keeping people on FSD Beta 10.69.2.4.

Given that Tesla has done larger holiday updates in December in previous years, it would also seem natural to bundle in FSD Beta toggle as well as giving everyone FSD Beta visualizations not unlike a previous holiday update with FSD Visualization Preview.
I believe that Tesla intends to deploy FSD beta to all cars with FSD as part of the holiday release. They want it to be the single-stack version, but, if single-stack runs into too many problems, I expect they will release a version of 10.69.

You will not need to request it and it will be part of the regular production branch of software, so, assuming you have FSD, you should receive the city streets software.

As part of the production software, there should be no strike system. Violating the attention monitoring will simply land you in AP jail for the rest of the drive.

The only thing that should be standing in the way of this is if the current release of FSDb to 'anyone' regardless of safety score is resulting in carnage on the streets.

Do you think Elon Musk / Tesla is not intending to make FSD Beta available as a simple toggle similar to Navigate on Autopilot right now?

I don’t know what will happen by the end of the year; all I was saying is that it is not currently in wide release.

I think there’s a chance the toggle release will come by the end of the year, with whatever changes would make it qualify as a wide release (you listed some). I think it is unlikely to come in the form of V11, and if I were forced to bet one way or the other, I would guess no wide release of any software by the end of the year. But I don’t feel super strongly about it - Tesla is being much more aggressive than I thought they would be, so even though it won’t be ready for wide release by end of the year, they may release it.