Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In San Francisco, it’s a lot of “work” to stay on top of FSD and make sure it doesn’t do something stupid, which it did multiple times per drive in the early days, and still does so at least one per drive these days.
Good that you acknowledge the Improvement, despite whatever level of ongoing frustration.

What I notice, and it's been very strong the past week or two, is that there's an unhappy crowd who complain in a very similar way about today's FSDb, as they did more than a year ago when the needed interventions were far more common. Intervention-free or disengagement-free drives were extremely unusual at that time.

Today, it's fairly common to get zero or perhaps one disengagement in a mixed scenario drive - yet the language of the TMC skepticism and pessimism hasn't changed much.

OTOH, I would certainly agree that there are some ongoing quality of life frustrations that feel like they should be easier for Tesla to fix. For me, the issue of confused or just ill-advised lane change initiation, causing embarrassing transient blinks that surely create negative thoughts from others on the road, is at the top of that list.

Mars: ... Just had such a smooth and comfortable drive through very heavy crazy traffic ...
Elon: So few realize this
Me: Not my experience in any kind of traffic. Jerky. Wife cringes when I use FSD. Although FSD does seem unlikely to hit anything.
I just had 11.4.4 stop to make a left turn when it could have just gone, as the approaching vehicle was plenty far away, then it started to make the turn as the oncoming car was too close for comfort. Super “comfortable” situation…

Reactions: Genie and DanCar
Mars: ... Just had such a smooth and comfortable drive through very heavy crazy traffic ...
Elon: So few realize this
Me: Not my experience in any kind of traffic. Jerky. Wife cringes when I use FSD. Although FSD does seem unlikely to hit anything.
I recently used 11.4.4 in Friday evening rush hour on US75 north of Dallas. Actually performed amazingly well making good lane changes and transitioning perfectly to I635 westbound, where it continued driving well. These are two difficult roads for humans, let alone a car with just a few cameras.

Reactions: kriskros91
I recently used 11.4.4 in Friday evening rush hour on US75 north of Dallas. Actually performed amazingly well making good lane changes and transitioning perfectly to I635 westbound, where it continued driving well. These are two difficult roads for humans, let alone a car with just a few cameras.
What do you mean 'just a few cameras?' Tesla has 8 cameras (9 if you count the cabin camera) while humans only have 2! 🤪

For my driving, lane selection and yields continue to be the numbering source of intervention/disengagements. I admittedly don't drive in heavy traffic or make a lot of left turns into traffic so my experience would underrepresent those.

I drove home from our cabin (2.5-3 hours, 150 miles) today and had 3 disengagements. two were for lane selection issues (entering a turn lane rather than going straight) and the third was when it was unable to take a cloverleaf exit. there's a short window but it should have been able to make it. The problem is it seems to start planning for the merge/exit when the dotted line starts. In reality for these exits you start planning as you approach and see the traffic coming down the clover leaf that's gong to merge in front of you.

What do you mean 'just a few cameras?' Tesla has 8 cameras (9 if you count the cabin camera) while humans only have 2! 🤪

For my driving, lane selection and yields continue to be the numbering source of intervention/disengagements. I admittedly don't drive in heavy traffic or make a lot of left turns into traffic so my experience would underrepresent those.

I drove home from our cabin (2.5-3 hours, 150 miles) today and had 3 disengagements. two were for lane selection issues (entering a turn lane rather than going straight) and the third was when it was unable to take a cloverleaf exit. there's a short window but it should have been able to make it. The problem is it seems to start planning for the merge/exit when the dotted line starts. In reality for these exits you start planning as you approach and see the traffic coming down the clover leaf that's gong to merge in front of you.
A few cameras vs. a few cameras and a few Lidars and a few radars and HD maps and ...

.I just had 11.4.4 stop to make a left turn when it could have just gone, as the approaching vehicle was plenty far away, then it started to make the turn as the oncoming car was too close for comfort. Super “comfortable” situation…
I think at this point, it doesn't modulate the commit decision based on the traffic density, and FSD still has a ways to go in communicating its intentions two other drivers, as well as the Tesla driver.

In light traffic, a human will usually wait for a better gap. If the car squanders the opportunity for a low-pressure turn earlier or later, and chooses instead an ill-timed turn (even if it's technically Within safe limits), that's very disconcerting to all human parties.

In heavy traffic when gaps are scarce, exactly the same maneuver might be just fine - because everyone is expecting that's what you need to do.

On a related note, I find that the car doesn't effectively tone down the speed of the "creep" phase, say for a right turn when there's an oncoming car. So probably it's just getting closer to the creep limit and it won't really pull out in front of that car, but it feels like it's lurching into a turn. Again, scary for both drivers involved.

A few cameras vs. a few cameras and a few Lidars and a few radars and HD maps and ...
I don't think Lidar, HD radar, etc are required to navigate difficult roads and traffic like that, they're likely more necessary for other reasons and risk mitigation if a manufacturer wants to take ownership of the dynamic driving task rather than operate as a Level 2 ADAS with someone in the driver's seat who is always responsible.

Then we can talk about stuff like inclement weather, redundancies if a camera sensor fails, etc

Reactions: ZeApelido
In light traffic, a human will usually wait for a better gap. If the car squanders the opportunity for a low-pressure turn earlier or later, and chooses instead an ill-timed turn (even if it's technically Within safe limits), that's very disconcerting to all human parties.
I’ve seen plenty of humans who will gun it and dart in front of a car when there’s a huge gap right after that car so maybe they’re just aiming for human-like driving

I’ve seen plenty of humans who will gun it and dart in front of a car when there’s a huge gap right after that car so maybe they’re just aiming for human-like driving
True, and I should have said "decent human driver.".

"Yo dude, where did you learn to drive? You're worse than a Tesla!"

These lane changes feel like unrefined clunky robotic coding versus being intended for a given context such as congested traffic flow. FSD cuts in front of adjacent lane drivers when path shows no turns for the next mile and there's no other traffic near by. FSD will change lanes in the middle of an intersection as well as change lanes over solid white lines. FSD lane changes remind me of that old youtube honey badger video. FSD lane changes just don't give a #%$^.

FSD lane changes just don't give a #%$^.
My car has, on two occasions (it has tried 3 times), pulled into the center turn-only lane to pass a car that was slowing to make a turn into our local Walmart! Twice I allowed it to do it to see WTH it was doing! One of the three times there was a car coming the opposite direction that was pulling into the lane to make a "legal left turn" and I had to intervene to avoid mass confusion, or worse, an accident. I just can't fathom how it could be programmed to "think" it could do that? SMH

I had a couple of incidence where the map coming to a light on the map shows it going straight this is 200 feet's away the car would turn the left blinker lights even though map shows it going straight. I do get more phantom braking for me a 2019 with hardware 3.0 it is a regression it also does not recognize merge lane will not get off it I have to take over or risk running thru yellow and white sticks. 2 days ago I had to take over or run the chance with the car running into a ditch. Not sure if i need to run a ticket to check my hardware I think Hardware 3.0 will not support FSD level 4. Even self parking is an issue. To say we will be out of Beta at the end of the year is still 2 years away.

Reactions: DWtsn
Unlike those hiding in the “here“ location I am in Illinois in the Chicago suburbs. Granted I travel (drive) a lot across several states. Don’t disagree there are likely regions with better street/lane markings that improve results but overall as designed knowing it’s general short comings I have few issues. Again for clarity, as an Assist software I do not groan fail when it needs me to confirm a touch of the accelerator.
I'm curious about the "few issues" you have? I'm seeing some people on this blog that have claimed to have 100% "pure" drives and others on the blog(s) disparage people who have issues, claiming we are simply bitching for the sake of bitching when their cars rarely or ever have the issues that many others are having.

I do live in a very rural location with little to no lane markings on our county roads. However, I work in/out of Dallas and I drive into and out of the DFW metroplex twice a week. Yesterday, returning from the airport, I had a renewed sense of confidence in the car, I had to make a few stops in the city before heading out on the highway for home a few hours away.

I departed DFW and had my FSDb driving profile "on" and proceeded to my first stop, a car wash a few minutes away and the car did ok that first 15 minutes with only a few touches on the accelerator to keep up with traffic. I left the car wash thinking this was the dawning of a new day. I had 15 mins of simply a "few issues" and I proceeded into the heart of the city along I35E and exited Hall St and directly after the exit there is a right turn.

After my exit on Hall the car activated the blinker, turned right and immediately got confused that there was a dedicated/marked right turn lane into a Starbucks. The "blue line" wavered left and right multiple times, the car swerved into the right turn lane (we intended to go straight) and made a dash for the parking lot then immediately shot left in front of a car that (rightfully so) started to pass me on the left, believing I was turning into the Starbucks. This all happened in seconds and I yanked the yoke to the right to avoid an accident, waved to the other driver in a courteous, apologetic "I'm sorry" and continued on my way, happy (and feeling lucky) that I wasn't involved in that accident that was literally inches away.

So I see these posts on this blog that others never have issues or they admit they have issues but dismiss them as normal or minor and it just begs the question; Do I have the stupidest Tesla made? Do I have a lemon of car and need to research the Texas Lemon Laws (too late for that)? I have had one(1) almost flawless drive in almost 2-years with the car. One, two hour drive where I had to intervene almost zero times. One, late night drive, from DFW to my home 122 miles away, where there was almost no traffic, no one to get in the way, nothing to confuse the car. One, flawless drive that I relaxed and allowed the car to do its' thing between 11pm - 1am that I could relax.

That one drive was a huge anomaly. I honestly am curious from everyone driving that have very few to zero "major issues" (e.g. Cutting off cars dangerously close, jumping into turn lanes when it shouldn't, changing lanes away from an upcoming turn with mere seconds to go, using the shoulder or turn lanes to pass slowing/stopping cars, stopping in the roadway when "confused", stopping at phantom stop signs/lights, running well-posted stop signs/lights at intersections, phantom braking, etc etc etc) is this really occurring or are you overlooking things that I find dangerous and unacceptable? This is an honest question to those disparaging those of us with major issues.

My car, on major city roads and unmarked country roads, does things that range from curious to patently dangerous. It does it quickly, it does it at random places and times (day/night), and it does it with shockingly regular irregularity. It'll randomly stop at an intersection with no stop sign/light one day and the next it won't.

I would love to see videos of how/when people with "flawless" drives can accomplish this. I would love to see what they do differently? Because I am honestly jealous and concerned that my car is simply not reliable enough to use FSDb or NoA the vast majority of the time and wonder if my car is seriously flawed?

Reactions: kabin
After my exit on Hall the car activated the blinker, turned right and immediately got confused that there was a dedicated/marked right turn lane into a Starbucks. The "blue line" wavered left and right multiple times, the car swerved into the right turn lane (we intended to go straight) and made a dash for the parking lot then immediately shot left in front of a car that (rightfully so) started to pass me on the left, believing I was turning into the Starbucks. This all happened in seconds and I yanked the yoke to the right to avoid an accident, waved to the other driver in a courteous, apologetic "I'm sorry" and continued on my way, happy (and feeling lucky) that I wasn't involved in that accident that was literally inches away.
I had exactly that happening (swerving left and right halfway into another lane quickly) a few days ago, in a place that never had that issue before. No cars around though. Admittedly the line markings are rather worn out at that point, but that doesn't mean this kind of behaviour is acceptable.

Mostly agreed with other posts in the sense that sometimes it works (almost) perfectly, and at other times it's borderline dangerous, or just doesn't make any sense such as slowing down for no reason at all, or moving into the right lane (or out of the carpool lane) 10 miles before a right turn or exit (with minimal lane changes enabled).

Reactions: DWtsn