Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Departing presidential councils

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's time is more valuable than that.
Child quitting because he wasn't picked for the team

Illustrating the difference between true justified informed opinion, and wanton ignorant stupidity.
The best description I have heard regarding GW folks is "shut up and just believe" . Don't question it, just follow our world "leaders" into the abyss. I am willing and open to GW and deniers because I really want to know the truth. But it is so hard to sift thru the rubble of an important subject that has become a right/left issue.

The best description I have heard regarding GW folks is "shut up and just believe" . Don't question it, just follow our world "leaders" into the abyss. I am willing and open to GW and deniers because I really want to know the truth. But it is so hard to sift thru the rubble of an important subject that has become a right/left issue.

I read materials from both sides and asked many questions.

The only reasonable conclusion I could draw was that Climate Change is very likely to be caused by humans, but the ultimate impact and timing of that impact are uncertain.

The reason this has become an ideological fight is because if Climate Change is real, the implication is that government regulation will be necessary to preserve the common spaces. This spells existential doom for Free Market purists. They feel they are on the brink of complete humiliation.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Bottom line is, no one knows the truth about global warming. Those who purport to know with certainty are lying or delusional. The smartest strategy is to decrease pollution just in case. However, we should not be fanatical about it.

Reactions: kort677
The reason this has become an ideological fight is because if Climate Change is real, the implication is that government regulation will be necessary to preserve the common spaces. This spells existential doom for Free Market purists. They feel they are on the brink of complete humiliation.

there is a lot of truth to that and your anticapitalist view is showing.
the green party of europe and environmental clans in the US have long ago departed from their environmental causes and are just another wedge in the anticapitalist movement

• Funny
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
The reason this has become an ideological fight is because if Climate Change is real, the implication is that government regulation
That may be a part of it, true. But I disagree somewhat. The environment has been a Dem issue historically though it should be a "human" issue. It has become a religion with otherwise intelligent people having a logical disconnect for anyone who disagrees. Hence the "Trump derangement syndrome" A closer look at this Paris accord has exposed it for what it is.

I like to see lots of things destroyed. Capitalism, like anything else, fights and maybe wins, fights and maybe loses. Chaos through warfare; evolution through bloodshed; perfection through victory.
in other words you are an anarchist. do you realize that all the benefits of capitalism, those things that capitalism has allowed you to accumulate is because of the nurturing of capitalism by the rule of law? without a culture that has a strong rule of law capitalism cannot thrive.
all I can say is wow!

in other words you are an anarchist. do you realize that all the benefits of capitalism, those things that capitalism has allowed you to accumulate is because of the nurturing of capitalism by the rule of law? without a culture that has a strong rule of law capitalism cannot thrive.
all I can say is wow!

I am an evolutionist. I am not opposed to the rule of law.

Sorry to see debate go down hill, especially around here. I was curious what others thoughts about how countries having the advantage of industrializing should pay, or whether they should pay, for the CO2 they used to become "developed". Do they owe money, or put another way, an apology, or should they presume that liability only started when (most) the planet began regarding anthropogenic CO2 accumulation as bad? Trump spent what appeared to me to be more than half his speech on this (the Green Climate Fund).

My understanding is much of the GCF's purpose is as a mechanism to fund alternatives for the undeveloped nations (like India with low electric penetration) who would otherwise be entitled to an even greater amount of CO2 emissions because of those the U.S. has already exploited. The Republicans were against this, before Trump. As the agreement is voluntary, he never would have had to fund the GCF, anyway. But it's the principal, when the largest attribution of what got the planet from ~200+PPM, to >400PPM, is considered to be the U.S. My conservative instincts say we shouldn't expect "free stuff". Maybe that's why only 22 "Reps" were looking for it when they forwarded Trump a request to pull out.

This article is clearly written by someone who lives in fantasy land. Has this guy ever traveled outside the USA? I'll take him places where they will knife him for $5.
That article was written by David Brooks. In case you weren't aware of who he is, Wikipedia has a few helpful notes. To quickly answer, yes this guy has traveled outside the USA and I'm quite certain could show you more than a few places where you could get knifed for $5.

David Brooks (cultural commentator) - Wikipedia
David Brooks (born August 11, 1961)[1] is an American conservative[2][3] political and cultural commentator who writes for The New York Times.

Early career
Upon graduation, Brooks became a police reporter for the City News Bureau of Chicago, a wire service owned jointly by the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun Times.[1] He says that his experience on Chicago's crime beat had a conservatizing influence on him[9] In 1984, mindful of the offer he had previously received from William F. Buckley, Brooks applied and was accepted as an intern on Buckley's National Review.

In 1986, Brooks was hired by the Wall Street Journal, where he worked first as an editor of the book review section, enlisting William Kristol to review Allan Bloom's famous The Closing of the American Mind, which helped to put the book to national prominence. The Wall Street Journal posted Brooks as an op-ed columnist to Brussels, whence he covered Russia (making numerous trips to Moscow); the Middle East; South Africa; and European affairs.​

Sorry to see debate go down hill, especially around here. I was curious what others thoughts about how countries having the advantage of industrializing should pay, or whether they should pay, for the CO2 they used to become "developed". Do they owe money, or put another way, an apology, or should they presume that liability only started when (most) the planet began regarding anthropogenic CO2 accumulation as bad? Trump spent what appeared to me to be more than half his speech on this (the Green Climate Fund).

My understanding is much of the GCF's purpose is as a mechanism to fund alternatives for the undeveloped nations (like India with low electric penetration) who would otherwise be entitled to an even greater amount of CO2 emissions because of those the U.S. has already exploited. The Republicans were against this, before Trump. As the agreement is voluntary, he never would have had to fund the GCF, anyway. But it's the principal, when the largest attribution of what got the planet from ~200+PPM, to >400PPM, is considered to be the U.S. My conservative instincts say we shouldn't expect "free stuff". Maybe that's why only 22 "Reps" were looking for it when they forwarded Trump a request to pull out.
Yes. The it is pretty sad that a few people who deplored the deplorables comment ride in here to dominate the thread with hatred, generalize about anyone who disagrees (how ironic) and otherwise destroy the productive exchange that used to characterize this forum.

This article is clearly written by someone who lives in fantasy land. Has this guy ever traveled outside the USA?
If you don't know who David Brooks is, here you go David Brooks (cultural commentator) - Wikipedia

In his work as a journalist and commentator he has traveled all over the world. He lives in the real world. I'm not sure you do, but then I don't know you.

10-20% are sociopaths who are in it to win it. Trump might be one but I don't think so actually. Elon Musk probably is based on his actions if he is in control of Tesla.
I interpret your statement as saying you think Elon is a sociopath. If that is the case, that tells me enough about you to know that you do live in a fantasy land.

• Helpful
Reactions: AndreN
If you don't know who David Brooks is, here you go David Brooks (cultural commentator) - Wikipedia

In his work as a journalist and commentator he has traveled all over the world. He lives in the real world. I'm not sure you do, but then I don't know you.

I interpret your statement as saying you think Elon is a sociopath. If that is the case, that tells me enough about you to know that you do live in a fantasy land.

The he is writing bullshit to cater to the feel-good politically correct left. The same left that thinks if you're nice to a sewer rat it might become a hamster. In the real world, not every person is internally good. Some people only care about themselves. His assertion that all humans want to live in harmony is just wrong.

As for Elon, I do not know him. But if I can attribute Tesla's corporate actions solely to him, the behavior would be considered in the sociopathic spectrum.

Last edited:
Hatred? I have not seen that in this thread. Disagreeing with someone is not hatred. Sure some get overly defensive but hatred? We reading different threads?

For liberals, free speech = hatred. See riots at UC Berkeley as proof.

Anything contrary to what they believe is hatred. The Democrat credo is people should be allowed to believe whatever they want, as long as it's what they believe.

Sadly , events and statements from elected representatives in the past few months alone show this to be true. I may not be a big Trump supporter but the more nonsense from the left, the further right I slide over.
It's like moving away from that friend making a total ass out of himself. Like, I'm not with him :)

• Love
Reactions: oktane and hpartsch
The he is writing bullshit to cater to the feel-good politically correct left.
That you don't seen to know who William F. Buckley, Bill Kristol, and the Wall Street Journal are, or how this author is about as far from the "feel-good politically left" as they come, says a great deal about what the Republican party has been co-opted into in recent times. William F Buckley is surely spinning in his grave. I'm saddened at the loss of reasoned conservative discourse in this country.

• Informative
Reactions: AndreN and bhzmark