TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon Musk

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by graham, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#2121 Ulmo, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Elon said in the conference call:

Adam Michael Jonas - Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC

Okay, thanks for confirming that, and just as a follow up:

Elon, your kind of long-term compensation plan obviously got a lot of attention and raised some questions, however, long-term from now on succession, just wanted to ask:

Do you see your successor as CEO of Tesla someone currently within the company right now, or from outside the company, kind of how do you see that? Thanks.

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

I mean there's no active search going on. There's not even an active or passive search going on for a new CEO of Tesla. I expect to remain CEO for the foreseeable future.

But at some point if there's somebody really spectacular inside or outside the company who could take on that role and who would want to have that title and that role, and that would be fine with me, and I would focus on product development, which is designing and engineering, which is what I like doing best. So, there are no plans to make a change at this time.
    I interpreted that to mean that they have been conducting a very active search for CEO, because Elon is tired of doing it and won't do it for much longer, and they've already considered a bunch of people, and according to the way the Tesla board and Elon's friends look at things, the people being looked at suck or refuse to do it, so unfortunately, Elon is stuck doing CEO for a while while they try to convince JB or someone to finally step up, but they keep saying no, and now Tesla's board is desperate and making a public plea for help due to imminent exit of the current CEO.

Ok, I'm joking. But I think it's the first time I've seen Elon say that he won't be CEO for Tesla forever, and if it's true that this is a recent change, that's a huge change, but completely not unexpected, since Tesla is a side gig for Elon, unlike what many of us thought, which was that SpaceX was the side gig and Tesla his main company and interest. Obviously Tesla being Elon's main interest isn't true, since he also has a school, OpenAI, Boring Co (located near SpaceX), Hyperloop subproject of SpaceX, and he lives near SpaceX, not Tesla, and every time he stays near Tesla he depicts it as camping out (smores on GF1 and a room in Fremont factory), so really, everything about his life and businesses is centered around SpaceX and Losr Angeles. Even the design studio of Tesla and the face Elon puts on Tesla to his in-person customers (Franz the designer) is by SpaceX. Also, we've seen Elon tire of the many negative aspects of Tesla, including the union activists on the Board of Directors, the union activists in the factory, the union activists in the legal department and the fake news, the internal and external supplier issues, SEC and stockholder concerns, assembly line issues (Model X and Model 3), general stuff, and possibly stuff we don't know about like discord among acquired employees (Grohmann, a tight nit deep rooted foreign company which Tesla abruptly uprooted), as well as the impersonal approach Elon's decided to take regarding Tesla small products (cars and home batteries) which I quickly describe as one-way, distant, and uninterested, which may be typical for all I know, but engenders a very stale role existence, compared to Elon's many other projects for which he has a lot more interest.

Compare:
    1. Terraforming and Colonizing Mars and the Solar System, fun, engaging, 2 minute products every couple of weeks or so, something he started first.
    2. Improving the environment on Earth by replacing the entire energy and transportation system one piece at a time with an improved version that he has to "make himself" (in his mind), and has to fight a bunch of evil entrenched interests that really are fighting back, from a company Elon was asked to join in an 11th hour plea by people Elon ultimately wrested the company from in a sort of hostile takeover once he had the investor and executive gig at Tesla, after agreeing to work at Tesla only secondarily to his main focus, SpaceX.
    I am not surprised that Elon is more interested in taking a back channel approach to being King of a New Planet Frontier rather than in the firing range for doing a little bit of maintenance on our energy and transportation approach on Earth.

Meanwhile, Elon's worked himself into what we are asked underhandedly to view as a pivotal role at Tesla, so the aires of saying he's an essential part of the company were put forth with his pay package, which I see as little more than a windfall catchment, not any sort of incentive package meant to keep his longevity as CEO high.

It's very true that Elon's approach to Tesla has made it what it is today, and was a few key ingredients in its success:
    1. A bunch of money,
    2. salesmanship, and especially
    3. a well raised man able to think for himself willing to be a well raised man able to think for himself and do manly things, even though that's not Politically Correct these days.
    I don't think Elon thinks it's fair someone without a bunch of money ought to be CEO, and if they aren't able to sell him the idea, he probably won't even consider them. The activist-infected board of Tesla is probably uninterested in people that would rock any boats, but since Tesla is all about rocking and having a hand in rebuilding every boat, there's a fundamental disagreement between the Board and the CEO with regard to the opportunity to fix up the focus of the next executive chief to this backwater upstart rabble-rouser concern (which is best put away and never thought of again, a failure of a company), a discomfort that probably reinforces the idea to Elon that Elon ought to have some sway in the future to give Tesla at least a chance of success, once again, putting him in the position of putting on aires about being permanent, but actually trying to find redundant good replacements, as they all (Elon & board) view the new applicants in a consensus mechanism, which is not in consensus, but could be brought to sufficient votes once someone who is accepted by enough of them comes to fore.

I should state that before the activist board members joining Tesla and before the activist smear campaign against some board members that are no longer there, the board was probably more in line with Elon's view of fixing the environment than I think it is now; I think Tesla's board is going the way of Uber, Google, etc., in becoming just another vehicle for enforcement of a new world activism as a foothold for takeover by communists, which means less rocking the boat of financiers and entrenched interests, and more destruction of new USA ventures (witness lack of investment in Tesla by many party to those foreignist and party-alignment ideas, such as Berkshire-Hathaway, etc.).

Am I reading that right? And P.S., did you see how buffed Elon's become in his post-Falcon Heavy press conference? He's spending a lot more time on that kind of thing lately.

I thank Elon for sticking with us for as long as he has, and welcome any good replacement of CEO for Tesla, and like them, I don't see anybody qualified for the job, since one way Elon's kept his gig is he kept others who could do it down. Worse, I fear they're going to get a CEO-mill shill.

• Like x 2
  2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Full article at:
    The man who sent his sports car into space

• Like x 1
  3. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

So the fastest car ever built is traveling at what - 100,000+ miles per hour? That red sportster has achieved speeds that no other car - production car or special salt-flat speedster - can be compared. The fastest car on earth is not on earth. Mind bending achievement!!

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should adopt "The fastest car made on earth, by humans."

Elon's Instagram

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Love it :cool:

upload_2018-2-10_12-43-0.png

• Like x 1
  6. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

What makes that amazing is that it is written on every Roadster, a car made ten years ago when no one knew if either Tesla or SpaceX were going to succeed.. let alone that last weeks stunt was going to happen!

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  7. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

Wow - simply Wow. He printed a circuit board 10 years ago with "made on earth by humans"? And then shot it into space? Is that Future Thinking - now defined!!

8. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Not only that, but it's maintaining that speed coasting. :)

It may be the printing on the circuit board inspired him to shoot a Roadster into space. Sort of the other way around.

9. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Our guy took a pay cheque (sort of). Tesla redeemed $17.5M of promissory notes bearing 6.5% interest from Elon on Feb 14th. The remaining principal of $82.5M was rolled forward to August 2018 on essentially the same terms.

10. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Let me see if I understood that correctly: Elon paid back Tesla, and you're deducing he got the money from somewhere?

11. schonelucht

The other way around. Tesla paid Elon back. (Partially)

12. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Aha! I figured out my error: I only knew 10 of the 15 definitions of the word "redeem", none of which were the correct one for your use, which apparently is proper according to 3 of the definitions. Oddly, I knew all of the meanings of the word "redeem" in which a person pays you when you present them with paper, but I didn't know of any of the meanings of the word where you pay a person in order to get a paper back. I guess the main definition difference is which triggers which: the paper or the payment. In your case, it was the payment first definition. In both cases, the subject is the first step and the object is the second step.

13. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

When did Elon loan Tesla money?? And why is he still doing so? 6.5% interest is not cheap. Tesla has been borrowing for far less from the market.

14. schonelucht

That loan is a left over from the SolarCity days, hence also the sky high interest rate. Tesla didn't choose to optimize this loan because of the benificiary would be my best guess. Consider it in lieu of Elon not drawing a salary at all.

• Informative x 1
  15. mbenson898

mbenson898 Member

16. Off Shore

Off Shore Supporting Member

I think you're a troll.

• Funny x 1
  17. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Elon livestream Q&A today at 10AM PDT (12 noon Texas): SXSW 2018

• Like x 1
  18. Cosmacelf

Some interesting Elonisms:

This should be enshrined in every executive office:

“To make decisions, you have to understand something. Unless you understand something at a detailed level, you can’t make decisions.”

He thinks Martian government should be direct Democracy. Not representative democracy. Laws should be short and comprehensible. 40% threshold to remove a law, 60% to add one.

This flys in the face of what else he thinks is important. Massive and restrictive regulation on AI research.

He got cut off, so hard to understand where he was going, but he said biggest mistake of his career was starting Tesla and SoaceX at same time more or less, thinking that Tesla wouldn’t occupy much time.

• Like x 1
  19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

From memory: "People have told me that my time-lines historically have been overly optimistic.." "...so I am trying to re-calibrate..."

Then gave some optimistic projection on when FSD will (finally) work...

• Funny x 2
  20. Cosmacelf

Yeah, end of next year, about 18 months away. He just can’t help himself can he? I’ll say it right now, we will NOT see FSD by the end of 2019. More like 2025. Musk thinks AI is easier than it is. There are fundamental issues yet to be solved that we don’t even have a road map for. But Elon’s the genius, I’m nobody, so whatev. I still think I’m right.