Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the book is probably complete BS and they author is probably trying to make a buck using Elon's name. it was not independently fact checked and take it with a grain of salt, per the man himself. I don't know why the author would write so many false things and try to pass it off as true.

the book is probably complete BS and they author is probably trying to make a buck using Elon's name. it was not independently fact checked and take it with a grain of salt, per the man himself. I don't know why the author would write so many false things and try to pass it off as true.

Another possibility is that Elon and the employee remember the interaction differently.

The quote was that Elon scolded a male employee regarding seeing the birth of his child, while Elon's twitter post is in support of 'pregnancy leave'. Two different things. Just sayin...

He goes on to clarify in another tweet:
Elon Musk on Twitter: It is total BS & hurtful to claim that I told a guy to miss his child's birth just to attend a company meeting. I would never do that.

Actually, the author could go to jail for it.

Yea it's totally slander. Actually per Wikipedia it's called "libel" because it was printed.

"Defamation—also calumny, vilification, and traducement—is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual person, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation as well as other various kinds of defamation that retaliate against groundless criticism.

Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and have been made to someone other than the person defamed.[1] Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.[2]"

Totally could get sued for libel. I hope Elon does go after him.

If actually false, Elon may have legal recourse for libel.

It varies by state, but there could be a case against the former employee, the publisher of the book, and/or the author. I think material harm to Elon's reputation if the statement is false and author did not fact-check could be proven.

For example, here is some of California's code:
California Defamation Law | Digital Media Law Project

But it is someone else's quote. The Wapo article doesn't identify who said the quotes, but presumably the book does.

In any event, it doesn't matter. It is obvious that Elon is a very hard driving CEO that expects his employees to work extremely hard. Whether you believe that quote or not hardly makes a difference. And Elon has refuted it, so I'm pretty sure he has moved on already.

He goes on to clarify in another tweet:

The clarified tweet is also different than what I've seen claimed happened. The quotes I read in an article from the supposed Elon e-mail make no mention of any 'child event', rather they are Elon berating the employee for missing a meeting. Paraphrased: 'We're changing the world here, get your priorities straight.' Elon may have sent the e-mail before knowing why the guy missed the meeting, or the guy who missed the meeting never told Elon why he missed it. Or those e-mail quotes are in no way connected to any employee having a baby.

The media may also be doing what it so often does and misinterpreting/misrepresenting what's in the book.

Wonderful excerpt. I found the 2008 financing details to be fascinating. Vantagepoint's attempt to run out the clock on the financing unfortunately rings all too true - been there done that. Some VCs (not all) would rather have 100% of a bankrupt company that a small percentage of a hugely successful one. I didn't realize Elon had to bluff his way out of that one. Steel balls :)

While I obviously can't speak to this specific employee's experience, as someone who worked for Elon, I can speak about my own. Both of my kids were born while I was with Tesla. There were critical business priorities to take care of both times - there always are. But I was there for both of the births, and there was never a problem raised, either directly or indirectly, with taking that time. Elon is an uncompromising, harshly direct, and unbelievably demanding boss, but he is not an a-hole - far from it in fact.

I hope misrepresentations like this supposed quote do not hurt Tesla's recruiting effort; that would be a massive disservice to everyone (except OPEC).

The clarified tweet is also different than what I've seen claimed happened. The quotes I read in an article from the supposed Elon e-mail make no mention of any 'child event', rather they are Elon berating the employee for missing a meeting. Paraphrased: 'We're changing the world here, get your priorities straight.' Elon may have sent the e-mail before knowing why the guy missed the meeting, or the guy who missed the meeting never told Elon why he missed it. Or those e-mail quotes are in no way connected to any employee having a baby.

The media may also be doing what it so often does and misinterpreting/misrepresenting what's in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.