Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a really great point and makes his behavior so much more puzzling that he doesn’t realize this.

Realize, Elon was not criticizing the rescue divers. He was reacting to an article disparaging his, SpaceX, Boring and the rest of the team's efforts as a useless publicity stunt. Including being told to shove his min-sub where it hurts (which few seem to be criticizing). I never saw the exact tweet Musk was replying to due to it being deleted first, thus leaving his floating without reference...

Realize, Elon was not criticizing the rescue divers. He was reacting to an article disparaging his, SpaceX, Boring and the rest of the team's efforts as a useless publicity stunt. Including being told to shove his min-sub where it hurts (which few seem to be criticizing). I never saw the exact tweet Musk was replying to due to it being deleted first, thus leaving his floating without reference...

Again, this is just a “who started it” argument. Yes, the dive coordinator was insulting and I wish he’s been more adult in his criticism. Elon’s reponse is on a whole other disastrous level.

Again, this is just a “who started it” argument. Yes, the dive coordinator was insulting and I wish he’s been more adult in his criticism. Elon’s reponse is on a whole other disastrous level.

No, this is a "Elon was NOT criticizing the dive team" observation. The insults had nothing to do with the rescue team beyond being made by someone associated with the rescue.

Elon’s reponse is on a whole other disastrous level.

Yes, and for me, as bad as his response was, it's equally disturbing how easily he can be baited.

I'm no shrink, but that's never stopped me from playing one here. My diagnosis is he needs to get a grip on a dark hole inside of him that makes him yearn for positive attention -- and to be the centre of attention. It's probably some childhood issue but I need him on the couch to get at it.

Also, just my view, but people need to calm down about Elon cults, not buying a Tesla over this, fanboys, etc. This is an internet forum and speculation, assumptions, etc. are what we do best.

This is a 7 figure settlement with a few hours work. The adults that run Elon’s daycare facility will write checks and you will never hear about this again.

I don't know about that. Settlements in private don't always go as planned. Plus, a lawsuit would open Vern up to discoveries or depositions regarding his sex life. You don't need to be what he was accused of to not to want to go through that. So Elon's team may just be sitting on the sidelines to see if Vern sues rather than reaching out, or replying to, demands for some kind of settlement. It might take a legal action first to bring Elon to the table, and Elon may be betting that won't happen.

Reactions: MauryDann
IT. DOESN'T. MATTER.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I will speak up when
7) Elon is running against world opinion here. Everyone is happy about the rescue, and people are calling those divers heroes. The public is much more likely to sympathize with those guys in these times.
Is taken as an accurate depiction of the situation.
Elon is NOT running against:
  • Being happy about the rescue
  • Calling the diver heroes
Which is what you quoted and replied to
Elon:
Extremely talented dive team. Makes sense given monsoon. Godspeed.
Thanks, but we’ve not done anything useful yet. It is all other people.
Great news that they made it out safely. Congratulations to an outstanding rescue team!

You are entitled to your opinion, but I will speak up when

Is taken as an accurate depiction of the situation.
Elon is NOT running against:
  • Being happy about the rescue
  • Calling the diver heroes
Which is what you quoted and replied to
Elon:

Ok, I see. You misunderstand I think. Despite Elon's earlier (and appropriate) positive tweets, NOW the story is simply a negative one, centered on him. He's redirected the discussion from the heroics and positive outcome and now it's all about his temper. Does that make sense?

Bonnie’s thread misses the problem, which is Musk’s behaviour on this case.

Yeah I rarely have disagreed with Bonnie, but I have to this time. Whether or not people have been unfair to Musk (I think obviously many quarters have, with sometimes great vehemence), he has a responsibility to stay above it, and it's never been clear to me his "fight back" attitude on twitter or anywhere else has been effective.

I filled that in with a reply to her comments on Twitter:

"Not to defend the tweet, but some perspective. He's been sleeping on his desk, overworked and under slept for months, while being relentlessly attacked in public. I don't know how you are, but I get cranky when I don't sleep well and can often say things that I regret later...1/2

While I think he needs to be held to a higher standard than the avg person (22M twitter followers, and role model for many of people), I think we often forget he is human. Being human means you can make mistakes and act emotionally. I think this tweet is a poor representation...

of EM. If we gauge his actions, he has done many significant things to further the world. Although he may have a out of character tweet every once in awhile, I'm not ready to throw him to the sharks. He is obviously still an incredible person who made a big mistake."

If I could fit more info into that last tweet I would of added, "I believe he should apologize and be forgiven. I think not only is it in societies' interest not to paint him as a leper, but I think he is still a man of high morality and should be supported as thus. One comment doesn't change 15 years of dedication."

In fact I think i'm gonna go add that now.

What topic do you think she was tackling? This was not pure recent issue focus, it covers the general twitter/ social media hate Elon has been getting lately, and she does address it:

Also, let's get this out of the way up front: Yes, calling someone a 'pedo' is no better. Apoogies are owed. But if you're one of the people with the faux outrage, sit down. 4/

Reactions: WarpedOne
Musk's approach to this whole "submarine" thing reminds me of when Jamie Oliver used to visit US school districts (as part of a for-profit reality tv show), insist that they make specific (and somewhat esoteric) changes to their school cafeteria food that would violate legal and fiscal constraints, and then whine endlessly about how he put so much effort into this, and no one was "listening" to him.

What topic do you think she was tackling? This was not pure recent issue focus, it covers the general twitter/ social media hate Elon has been getting lately, and she does address it:

I read her thread in the light of this recent pedogate, but of course, if we look things in the broader picture, thread is OK.

More than a month ago, I posted, that Elon should quit twitter. My advice is still the same.

Elon Musk

Reactions: mongo
It's probably some childhood issue but I need him on the couch to get at it.
You touch upon something that I’ve been thinking about before.
None of the Musk household ever went into any details on why all members distanced themselves from Musk Sr.
There must be some reason for Elon to use that specific expletive when feeling harassed and belittled.

Musk's approach to this whole "submarine" thing reminds me of when Jamie Oliver used to visit US school districts (as part of a for-profit reality tv show), insist that they make specific (and somewhat esoteric) changes to their school cafeteria food that would violate legal and fiscal constraints, and then whine endlessly about how he put so much effort into this, and no one was "listening" to him.

Do you do ANY research???
Great news that they made it out safely. Congratulations to an outstanding rescue team!
Just returned from Cave 3. Mini-sub is ready if needed. It is made of rocket parts & named Wild Boar after kids’ soccer team. Leaving here in case it may be useful in the future. Thailand is so beautiful.
Thanks, but we’ve not done anything useful yet. It is all other people.
Mini-sub arriving in about 17 hours. Hopefully useful. If not, perhaps it will be in a future situation.
It is an honor to work with them
Will do. Even if not useful here, perhaps it will be in a future situation.
Extremely talented dive team. Makes sense given monsoon. Godspeed.
Continue to be amazed by the bravery, resilience & tenacity of kids & diving team in Thailand. Human character at its best.

Reactions: SpiceWare
This whole spat is really unfortunate. Musk's "pedo" comment is clearly unacceptable and is likely going to result in unnecessary and potentially costly distractions for him, Tesla, rest of his companies, and I believe indirectly us Tesla owners too. Issuing a sincere and unconditional apology is the least that Musk should do ASAP.

I'm also quite befuddled on Unsworth's initial comments that I think were, quite frankly, below the belt. Totally uncalled for IMO. If you want to say that you don't think the kid submarine would've worked, just say so. It was really unfortunate that he added a comment that I think amounted to a personal attack with the "stick it" reference. The question is why did Unsworth have such a visceral reaction when asked to comment on Musk?

My theory is that he wasn't happy with Musk's level of "involvement" in the whole rescue process (Musk's tweets throughout that whole rescue period and showing up in person in the cave) when he might've thought that he and everyone else at the location already had things under control. What's tragic here is that Musk himself didn't ask to be involved, but rather was asked on Twitter to consider ways he could help when the rescue team hadn't finalized their rescue plan yet. I believe that he's a genuine problem-solver who feels challenged when a tough problem like this comes up, and why he and his SpaceX team ultimately came up with the kid submarine solution based on feedback from one of the lead divers (Rick Stanton, who I think likely considered this as a back-up solution). Stanton and Unsworth were there and surely communicating, and if Unsworth didn't believe they needed a back-up solution or that he thought the submarine one wouldn't have worked, I wonder if he verbalized this and if it was communicated back to Musk. All of that aside, it seems to me that Musk and his SpaceX team really worked their asses off to make their idea a reality in the space of a few days out of their genuine desire to wanting to help in some way. And I think this is where and why Musk took such an umbrage when their solution was criticized later on. As to whether he needed to have showed up in person in the cave, probably not but it seems like he was planning travel to the region anyway (with the announced Tesla China agreement just the next day). I feel like this particular aspect shouldn't have been made such a big deal as it appears to be.

Lastly, Musk appears to have a rather thin skin, which is not a good combination when he speaks his mind so freely and does so in such a public forum as Twitter. One of those has got to give: either he's got to have way thicker skin, watches what he speaks more, or reduces his activities on Twitter.

I deeply feel for Elon Musk, because he is a sensitive guy and got depressed and angry that he pushes himself and his friends, partners and workers over every limit, to make this world a better place, but then gets unsubstantial and misinformed critics all the time. He lost himself down at the factory over the last weeks, thinking, that twitter might help the goals and/or be somewhat of a relaxation methode, but in truth it was an addiction (Sorry, i know, because I was there and the net is full of proof that people can’t handle it properly).

It pans out in the end he is human too, and used words he shouldn’t use in the first place and will probably punish himself for good, because he wants to be a better human and hold higher standards, but more importantly he knows, it did hurt his plans more then any twitter critic could’de done.

The only positive outcome I can foresee is, that he finally stops here and quits all the social media and news fight and concentrates on the things he’s best at: Reaching impossible goals.

In between:

Sincerely apologize (silently pay in case being sued) and then plug off for a looong time.

That should bring some peace.

If someone is interested, why (not only for Elon Musk) it might be a good idea to step back on social media, here are some thoughts about news, social media and the impact on our brain:

News Diet (full essay) – Rolf Dobelli

Warning: You can only read it, if you’re still able to concentrate on more then phrases or headlines.

Last edited:
I think this tweet is a poor representation...

of EM.

We must be reading a different Twitter feed. This tweet is actually a perfect representation of both his routinely childish & abusive public behavior and his at once self-pitying and self-aggrandizing view of himself as some kind of relentlessly attacked victim (what others call a "public figure subject to reasonable criticism/skeptical coverage by journalists"), instead of what he actually is, which is a powerful and accomplished businessman well situated to defame those who criticize him. Or in plain English, a bully.

Status
Not open for further replies.