Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But all these distractions and noise that's generated because of it only hurts those causes. There are many people who simply refuse to buy Tesla products because of Elon and while it may not matter now while demand out-strips supply, eventually it will make a difference.

For most of the last 10 years, many right wingers refused to look at buying a Tesla because of their ideology. They are now coming around, mostly because Elon is saying and doing things that align with their values. It is opening up a huge new market in the US. Meanwhile I doubt many left wingers will defect because of this, in the end "boycotts" never work very well when you are personally impacted, and buying a car is a very big decision.

Hmmm, maybe Elon really is an evil genius and he's pivoting his ideology at exactly the right time to juice up US sales ;)

You're going to have to present some references for these claims, because as far as I can tell, none of these are backed up by facts at all.

They are obviously are, but as you'd contest everything I say, it really isn't worth it. You aren't going to change your opinion, you've demonstrated that you won't even look at a news source that doesn't fit with your world view.

There's an alternate reality where the discussion of the vaccine is separate from the discussion of the policies regarding the vaccine. But that is not this world. There's no way anyone protesting is vaccinated but doing it out of principle. There's no way they're not all screaming "Let's go Brandon" in unison while they do this.

If you'd listen to news source that interviewed actual truckers, you'd know that truckers in that convoy have been vaccinated and are still protesting. 90% of Canadian truckers are vaccinated because they need to be to keep their jobs. That's much higher than the Canadian population average. The protest was about MANDATES. Forcing people to do things on the threat of losing their jobs.

And this protest was in Canada. They were yelling F*ck Trudeau, not Lets Go Brandon.

This was not a small protest in -25 degree C weather...

For most of the last 10 years, many right wingers refused to look at buying a Tesla because of their ideology.
Reading this forum, it's been pretty clear that there's plenty of right-leaning people who are Tesla fans, so I don't think Elon is going to convince many people either way. Even if he does, it'll be a wash.

They are obviously are, but as you'd contest everything I say, it really isn't worth it. You aren't going to change your opinion, you've demonstrated that you won't even look at a news source that doesn't fit with your world view.
I'm happy to read any properly vetted scientific studies or data.

Let's take your first COVID claim since you are unwilling: "The government lied about the origins of the virus".

I'm assuming that you believe that the virus was leaked from a lab. This is very clearly false - every single study I've seen says that the most probable cause is zoonotic infection and there is no credible evidence that would indicate otherwise.

When you lead off with wild claims that demonstrably false, suggest that others read a very clearly biased rag to get a different "spin" and then refuse to back up your claims with credible sources, what are we supposed to think?

I'm assuming that you believe that the virus was leaked from a lab. This is very clearly false - every single study I've seen says that the most probable cause is zoonotic infection and there is no credible evidence that would indicate otherwise.
Zoonotic origin doesn't mean it didn't leak from a lab. Scientists study viruses in animals...
I do find the "it's a Chinese bioweapon but also no big deal" crowd the most perplexing.
@Cosmacelf's claim that they "outlawed monoclonal antibodies" is extremely misleading and shows that he does not get his news from anywhere even remotely objective. The monoclonal antibodies that work against Omicron still have emergency use authorization and I'm sure the updated ones from Regeneron will get EUA quickly (though I guess then the FDA will get more criticism for approving them too quickly!).

Zoonotic origin doesn't mean it didn't leak from a lab. Scientists study viruses in animals...
I do find the "it's a Chinese bioweapon but also no big deal" crowd the most perplexing.
@Cosmacelf's claim that they "outlawed monoclonal antibodies" is extremely misleading and shows that he does not get his news from anywhere even remotely objective. The monoclonal antibodies that work against Omicron still have emergency use authorization and I'm sure the updated ones from Regeneron will get EUA quickly (though I guess then the FDA will get more criticism for approving them too quickly!).
Florida closed all their monoclonal antibody sites due to revoked authorization. But I’m sure it wasn’t politically motivated at all.

As far as lying about origins, I was referring to the fed govt pronouncements that of course it came from a market and not the lab even though they had no idea themselves. They crushed all stories about a lab leak origin. Now it is fashionable to talk about the possibility of a lab leak. So that isn’t technically lying, but I was writing quickly. The point is the fed govt hasn’t been reliable on that issue.

Florida closed all their monoclonal antibody sites due to revoked authorization. But I’m sure it wasn’t politically motivated at all.

As far as lying about origins, I was referring to the fed govt pronouncements that of course it came from a market and not the lab even though they had no idea themselves. They crushed all stories about a lab leak origin. Now it is fashionable to talk about the possibility of a lab leak. So that isn’t technically lying, but I was writing quickly. The point is the fed govt hasn’t been reliable on that issue.
It's possible that Gov. DeSantis shut them down for political reasons (claiming victimization is a very popular tactic for politicians of all stripes!). More likely is that there is not enough supply of Sotrovimab to justify dedicated sites instead of just administering it at hospitals to the very sickest patients.
If people don't trust the federal government (and they have been pretty bad) there are 100+ other governments on the planet. Maybe the Canadian government has been better? They've certainly done a better job of reducing excess deaths.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
The point is the fed govt hasn’t been reliable on that issue.
? They've been consistent in saying it hasn't been a lab leak - even since the start of the outbreak when the other party was in charge.

Except for vaccine mandates at the border. :rolleyes:
It's pretty funny because Denmark had much more restrictions than just about everywhere in the USA with mandatory masking and proof of vaccination or recently recovered or tested negative for COVID. They also enjoy an 81% full vaccination rate compared to our mid-60% rate. And you still need proof of vaccination to enter the country (isolate for 5+ days w/neg PCR test) - kinda like how those truckers need to be vaccinated to cross the border! So Denmark vaccination mandates = good, Canada vaccination mandates = bad? My head is spinning...

If our vaccination rate was up in the 80%+ range I bet we could officially relax restrictions as well. But that doesn't matter, just about everyone is going about their lives as normal now, with just partial mask compliance in most places, even when it's "required". We will get there eventually - it will just take enough un-vaccinated to get COVID enough times to build up enough

? They've been consistent in saying it hasn't been a lab leak - even since the start of the outbreak when the other party was in charge.
But the CDC did look into the possibility of it being a lab leak early on. Why did they look into it? Very suspicious. haha. Also suspicious that no other county's CDC has said lab leak is the most likely possibility. That means the conspiracy is global! Seriously if it was a lab leak I don't think we'll ever find out. If China has kept the evidence secret this long it's probably never coming out. Of course there's still a possibility of finding the animal source, it took 14 years to find the bat population with SARS-CoV-1.
It's pretty funny because Denmark had much more restrictions than just about everywhere in the USA with mandatory masking and proof of vaccination or recently recovered or tested negative for COVID. They also enjoy an 81% full vaccination rate compared to our mid-60% rate. And you still need proof of vaccination to enter the country (isolate for 5+ days w/neg PCR test) - kinda like how those truckers need to be vaccinated to cross the border! So Denmark vaccination mandates = good, Canada vaccination mandates = bad? My head is spinning...

If our vaccination rate was up in the 80%+ range I bet we could officially relax restrictions as well. But that doesn't matter, just about everyone is going about their lives as normal now, with just partial mask compliance in most places, even when it's "required". We will get there eventually - it will just take enough un-vaccinated to get COVID enough times to build up enough
I think Elon just reposts stuff without really thinking about it. It all seems to be a plan to get right wingers to "own the libs" by buying the same car AOC drives. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Funny
I understand Elon is an advocate of freedom and against state interfering with the open market however before tweeting only 3 words, he should think that if the convoy is being high jacked at the end by far extremists peeing on statues, harbouring fascist flags and become violent, his tweet will be seen as a support to those things too.

As Elon once told, he tries to be as clear as possible and doesn’t want people to interpret things. He should just have left his tweet about The freed on disappearing with every bit removed until it is gone. It meant already everything.

Moderator Note: I unsubscribed to this thread a while back because it is, as I have previously referred to it, the armpit of TMC. I just ran across it again because of a report and it appears it's, uh.. a little out of control. I went back a few pages but couldn't really find a ton of "Elon Musk" discussion. Lots of ideological stuff, though!

Not in the mood to sift through all of that so I guess I'll just add this reminder that even the armpit of TMC deserves better. Thanks for leaving politics out.

Are there any other Tesla owners besides me who are embarrassed to drive their Tesla around Ottawa (or even in Canada as a matter of fact) these days?

I don’t do politics, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion on vaccine mandates or on what GoFundMe allows or forbids, but in the end maybe Mr. Musk should be reminded that he openly supports a fringe group who seeks to overthrown a legitimate and recently elected government with a siege in Ottawa…

Are there any other Tesla owners besides me who are embarrassed to drive their Tesla around Ottawa (or even in Canada as a matter of fact) these days?

I don’t do politics, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion on vaccine mandates or on what GoFundMe allows or forbids, but in the end maybe Mr. Musk should be reminded that he openly supports a fringe group who seeks to overthrown a legitimate and recently elected government with a siege in Ottawa…
I live in the US, and even I think this guy is an embarrassment. Don't get me wrong. I like my car. But I think this dude is really sleazy. He thinks rules don't apply to him. He needs to go.

Yes, you do do politics, otherwise you wouldn’t have misrepresented the protest. The truckers are not looking to overthrow the government. They are asking for the government to get rid of vaccine mandates. “Ottawa“ is not under siege. It is just the downtown core, and even then, food, medical, people and all essentials are allowed passage. That isn’t a siege.

Yes, you do do politics, otherwise you wouldn’t have misrepresented the protest. The truckers are not looking to overthrow the government. They are asking for the government to get rid of vaccine mandates. “Ottawa“ is not under siege. It is just the downtown core, and even then, food, medical, people and all essentials are allowed passage. That isn’t a siege.
As somebody here on the ground, I’m sorry to tell you that you’re misinformed.

Businesses are closed and access to the core is very limited due to the siege (or if you don’t like that word, let’s call it a ‘truckers’ tantrum’).

I hear a lot of people specifically went there to join in and rabble rouse. On the news one guy was calling it a civil war between them and the government, although that is not how that term is used, and governments are specifically designed for redress of legitimate concerns. "Vote the bastards out" I believe is the strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.