Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon on CBS This Morning regarding Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the segment on the production line is being aired on Friday. However they did run the segment discussing the production issues this morning. I don't see today's segment on CBS' site but you can watch the video on Youtube:

How is everyone taking this passage:
Elon Musk said:
It's a six-to-nine-month time shift, that's literally it, and three of those months have already passed.

First of all, we had delivery estimates moved up by 4 months already, not 3.
And what are the extra 3-6 months he's talking about?
Is this about his original plans to hit 5k/week in Dec 17 that have been moved up by 6 months (is he doubting his Q2 end forecast here, pointing at 9 months)?
Is this about delivery estimates for most people that will move up again by 3-6 months?
Or is this related to SR that will come along much later?

Yes the segment on the production line is being aired on Friday. However they did run the segment discussing the production issues this morning. I don't see today's segment on CBS' site but you can watch the video on Youtube:

It's sad the media/analysts keep the focus on the past and not where things are now and will be immediately down the road. I'm sure reservation holders and investors would have rather heard about that than what we all know already. A shot of the parking lot filled with cars and trailers loading them, like we see here on the forum, would be nice. Wonder if that will be on tomorrow's segment.

Just an observation, but Musk looks extremely nervous/anxious in these question responses. His eyes are darting all over the place when he answers the questions.

It's a bit disconcerting but maybe that's how he always is. Certainly he appears to be nervous when speaking on camera.

I'm sure this observation is going to go over like a lead balloon. Elon made the comment that delivery window had shifted by "6-9 months and three of those months have already passed". Patently untrue for day 1 reservation holders and line waiters who are waiting on the still nonexistent $35,000 Model 3 that was promised at the unveiling and shows no signs of making it for a 2018 delivery.

Just an observation, but Musk looks extremely nervous/anxious in these question responses. His eyes are darting all over the place when he answers the questions.

It's a bit disconcerting but maybe that's how he always is. Certainly he appears to be nervous when speaking on camera.

I'm sure this observation is going to go over like a lead balloon. Elon made the comment that delivery window had shifted by "6-9 months and three of those months have already passed". Patently untrue for day 1 reservation holders and line waiters who are waiting on the still nonexistent $35,000 Model 3 that was promised at the unveiling and shows no signs of making it for a 2018 delivery.

The trust meter is very low when someone acts like that.

Uh, I'm not sure how many times you've seen him speak, but this was actually better than usual. Typically there are longer pauses where he stares at the ceiling and seemingly rethinks his entire perspective on the universe for a few seconds before answering a question. Love the guy but his public speaking can be quite cringy at times.

Whenever I see people comparing Tesla to other BEVs I’m always surprised how few mention what I think is a key differentiating feature: OTA.

Both Model S, X and 3 have made significant gains in AP and features with OTA.

I don’t think any other company knows how to mass push and install new neural networks and firmsware to their fleet of vehicles. Let’s not even mention collecting mess amounts of data from cars to improve their self driving capabilities.

It’s true, nothing Tesla does is propriety, however it’s all a trade secret. It’s the recipe combination of available tech they mix that makes the secret sauce of Tesla.

Any company even trying to directly copy tesla will not be able to compete because it’s hard to find that combination of ingredients to make a successful business like Tesla.

Uh, I'm not sure how many times you've seen him speak, but this was actually better than usual. Typically there are longer pauses where he stares at the ceiling and seemingly rethinks his entire perspective on the universe for a few seconds before answering a question. Love the guy but his public speaking can be quite cringy at times.

I have not really observed him.

I have observed numerous C level executives during live meetings and haven't seen anyone act quite this way. Now to me, knowing nothing about the guy it looks a lot like someone making crap up on the fly, but as you say, to someone who has observed him a lot maybe this is normal.

To me, his awkwardness is a plus. I enjoy knowing he’s honestly (albeit inefficiently) formulating something sincere and unique as answers to questions just posed to him instead of quickly grabbing and regurgitating polished cliches.

Whenever I see people comparing Tesla to other BEVs I’m always surprised how few mention what I think is a key differentiating feature: OTA.
THIS! I have been saying this for a while. OTA updates is a huge differentiator that no other OEM can offer right now. Maybe some features or some minor updates can be done if you go to a dealership. But no other cars can get better over time like Tesla.

Sure, another OEM can build a car that can update OTA. But it would take huge investments of time and money for a company to set up that infrastructure that Tesla already has.

Reactions: dragoljub
To me, his awkwardness is a plus. I enjoy knowing he’s honestly (albeit inefficiently) formulating something sincere and unique as answers to questions just posed to him instead of quickly grabbing and regurgitating polished cliches.

Gayle’s post-interview angle sounded to me like “how cute, tech nerd in over his head trying to build a car”.

I think Elon’s lack of corporate polish leads to the mainstream chronically underestimating him.

Reactions: LBusDoor90

Any significant delay was always likely to have the biggest effect on SRers (like me), because it means fewer cars built before Tesla can deliver AWD and performance versions. Tesla will start delivering to LR+AWD deferrals as soon as they can.

Any company even trying to directly copy tesla will not be able to compete because it’s hard to find that combination of ingredients to make a successful business like Tesla.

The financials do not show that yet. It shows major spending with little returns so far. The jury is still out on if it is successful. Time will tell.

The financials do not show that yet. It shows major spending with little returns so far. The jury is still out on if it is successful. Time will tell.

Yes and no. They absolutely would be a profitable and healthy company if they had not been massively investing in infrastructure for future growth. Tesla could have easily stopped with the S/X and iterated on the premium luxury sedan instead of jumping off the cliff in mass production of Model 3/Gigafactory/Tesla Energy/Semi/etc.

I have not really observed him.

I have observed numerous C level executives during live meetings and haven't seen anyone act quite this way. Now to me, knowing nothing about the guy it looks a lot like someone making crap up on the fly, but as you say, to someone who has observed him a lot maybe this is normal.

Seriously it's just him. I also think during the first interview when he was sitting he was likely very tired. I don't think he's particularly a fan of seated interviews. He's very passionate about the product be it one of the cars, energy, SpaceX, etc. and I think does best when he's walking around talking about the factory or product. More at ease. I think you will see that side of him in other segments.