Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saying that, in principle, if everyone is switching off cars every few years (and probably abandoning cars way before their end-of-life) there’s are lot of resources being wasted.
I don't see it that way. The lifespan of each car is not based on how often you upgrade it. It's not like you are going to throw your previous car away. For as long as the car is drivable it has a resale value (or you can donate it). And someone else will drive it! Not everyone can afford a new car. The next owner of your old Tesla will thank you! I don't think you should feel bad about replacing it after 5 years!

Advice/Speculation on end of Q3 2023 promos?

I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD FSD with 103K miles. I had planned on trading in for a Y or Cybertruck in 2024 (but I didn't reserve Cybertruck till 2020, so likely 2025 before I would be eligible for one). This FSD transfer program has me interested. I see that inventory Y's are already discounted $500 and I am wondering whether this discount will increase at end of Q3 2023. Or will they roll out Free Supercharger Mile promo (which if I read fine print correctly, FSD transfer program purchases will probably not be eligible for). Wondering whether to just go ahead and pull the trigger on a New Y now (Aug 2023) or Wait till mid Sep 2023 to see how desperate Tesla is for Q3 sales? Or just forget FSD and wait for cybertruck. Thoughts?

Advice/Speculation on end of Q3 2023 promos?

I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD FSD with 103K miles. I had planned on trading in for a Y or Cybertruck in 2024 (but I didn't reserve Cybertruck till 2020, so likely 2025 before I would be eligible for one). This FSD transfer program has me interested. I see that inventory Y's are already discounted $500 and I am wondering whether this discount will increase at end of Q3 2023. Or will they roll out Free Supercharger Mile promo (which if I read fine print correctly, FSD transfer program purchases will probably not be eligible for). Wondering whether to just go ahead and pull the trigger on a New Y now (Aug 2023) or Wait till mid Sep 2023 to see how desperate Tesla is for Q3 sales? Or just forget FSD and wait for cybertruck. Thoughts?
Assuming you have any interest in FSD at all, I suggest that you take advantage of the transfer program. With over 100k miles on your M3, I think it's a good time to start with a fresh Model Y.

Sure, they might bump up the discount on inventory cars But unless you have a committed offer Tesla or another buyer for your used M3, you also need to remember that as brand new Tesla prices are discounted, this also discounts the value of used Teslas in the market.

There's a possibility that announcements or well-publicized leaks regarding the refreshed Model 3 Highland will induce them to blow out the last of the present production, but whether this happens within September is unknown. Even if so, those deals may not apply to Model Y, as its refresh is farther down the road.

The so-called Osborne effect could go either way for Model Y. Once the M3 Highland details are known (possibly before the end of September), then if they're generally significant and positive it could hurt Model Y demand as people will expect at least the same benefits from the Juniper Y refresh. OtOH if there's some negative Highland aspect that gets well publicized (like maybe a cheapened interior, or some other cost saving feature removal, or some very early quality hiccups that are well publicized), then maybe a bunch of people will stop holding their breath and rush out to get an existing Y - especially within the FSD transfer offer. It hinges a lot on social media sentiment which is kind of fickle as you know.

The Cybertruck is a huge unknown in terms of availability to anyone who's deep down the waiting list. Who knows the prices and configurations that will eventually arrive, not to mention the configurations that will be available during the presumably higher demand of the first couple of years of production. You might as well say you're waiting for the entire EV market to develop, which it will.

so if it's a question of moving as soon as you see an inventory vehicle you like, versus waiting a few more weeks, I would not wait. But if you're really not too motivated, the bigger question is whether they will renew the transfer offer someday after the refreshed models are all available.

Your call obviously, but I would probably take the chance to replace the 100k+ vehicle with a configuration that I really want, and not be rushed by procrastinating another month. If there's a rush of other procrastinators, you won't get any discount at all and you'll have to settle for whatever configuration is available.

I was about to pull trigger for a new car but FSD beta I have with HW3 does not work the same for the new car out of the door. There will be a period of time with less capable car. When I ask Tesla to transfer it later when FSD beta is available they do not accept. Or install HW4 beta capable older SW.

Actually, I heard that they are now telling people not to order with FSD because then you get taxed on the $15,000. I ordered with FSD like they originally told us, but my MVPA had no mention of FSD whatsoever. So I think they just took it off the order.

Check with a sales advisor before you order.
Oh, so they changed the process? Typical Tesla.

But just so you know, I did NOT pay taxes on the $15,000 FSD as it was discounted (1C) prior to taxes.

FYI: My only add-on besides FSD was the 7 seater option. The 1B $530 was a random inventory adjustment and the extra $500 on 1C was the referral discount.
price.jpg

Last edited:
Wondering whether to just go ahead and pull the trigger on a New Y now (Aug 2023) or Wait till mid Sep 2023 to see how desperate Tesla is for Q3 sales? Or just forget FSD and wait for cybertruck. Thoughts?
I was excited to see the "one time" FSD transfer offer - but decided not to get a new Y/3 and wait for CT. With 3/Y I don't want a current gen - but want to wait for Highland - but I prefer to get the CT.

I suspect at some point we'll have another shot at this "one time" transfer offer, hopefully when I can get CT.

Reactions: Ken43
Not according to the agreement:

View attachment 961602

You have to still own the donor vehicle at the time of delivery of the new vehicle.
I'm having a problem getting my transfer from my M3 to my new MY. My situation is they changed the original inventory new car (vin) at the last minute with a different car (vin) so I had to resend the transfer info at the time of delivery. They said they couldn't do the tranfer at that time however the delivery assistant said it will still get transferred. So then I sold my M3 the next day to a dealer. It's been a week and still no transfer. ( the FSD is still on the M3). Yesterday I called the sales team and they said It will be transferred. I'm beginning to get nervous. Seems like there may be a communication problem somewhere...
Ugh!!!!

So then I sold my M3 the next day to a dealer. It's been a week and still no transfer. ( the FSD is still on the M3). Yesterday I called the sales team and they said It will be transferred. I'm beginning to get nervous. Seems like there may be a communication problem somewhere...
Ugh!!!!
Technically you no longer own the Model 3, so you can't legally transfer the FSD anymore. (You sold it to a dealer with that feature.) It has to be done while you still own the vehicle.

You might still get away with it, as long as the dealer doesn't take ownership of the Model 3 in the Tesla app before the transfer. But in reality, you no longer meet the terms of the offer.

Reactions: JB47394
oh got it thanks
I think I'm having the same problem with my new Y. I assumed that the FSD beta button should be enabled automatically but it is not. You can see that it says I have to wait in the attached picture. I thought maybe they screwed up the transfer paperwork but I could be wrong and impatient:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230822_083108_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230822_083108_Gallery.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 44
I'm having a problem getting my transfer from my M3 to my new MY. My situation is they changed the original inventory new car (vin) at the last minute with a different car (vin) so I had to resend the transfer info at the time of delivery. They said they couldn't do the tranfer at that time however the delivery assistant said it will still get transferred. So then I sold my M3 the next day to a dealer. It's been a week and still no transfer. ( the FSD is still on the M3). Yesterday I called the sales team and they said It will be transferred. I'm beginning to get nervous. Seems like there may be a communication problem somewhere...
Ugh!!!!
Or maybe they just haven't been able to update the software yet? See attached picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230822_083108_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230822_083108_Gallery.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 42
I think I'm having the same problem with my new Y. I assumed that the FSD beta button should be enabled automatically but it is not. You can see that it says I have to wait in the attached picture. I thought maybe they screwed up the transfer paperwork but I could be wrong and impatient:)
This is “normal”. You likely have HW4 on your new car, and it is not yet supported by the FSD Beta 11.3.6. You’ll have to wait (like the rest of us) for Tesla to release a HW4-compatible FSD Beta.

Just noticed this on Tesla's trade-in support page:
Enhanced Autopilot will be taken into account when evaluating your trade-in. If you are trading in your vehicle with FSD capability, the trade-in vehicle will be valued as though it has basic Autopilot as the FSD capability will be removed and transferred to your new vehicle.
No mention of this being a limited-time offer. Could it be that they are making this permanent?