Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit disappointed that Elon didn't keep his word on Dual Motor on the 3 costing "less" than it does on the Model S.

$5K for AWD is a lot. $2,000 on 340i to go from RWD to AWD.

0-60 in 4.5 is almost bang on with BMW 340xi performance.

For me, personally, the attraction right now is due to the $7,500 federal rebate that probably lasts through the end of the year and the $5,000 state rebate that definitely does.

$62,000 DM LR Model 3 with paint/delivery/autopilot looks a lot more attractive when you lop $12,500 off the price and turn it into a $49,500 car. I might even pass on autopilot.

I have no idea why Elon said the AWD one would be less than $5K. It's not like any option is cheaper on the 3 than the S, and I think most people would have been perfectly fine with AWD costing $5K more.

Most people don't even need AWD.

It has the same front/rear weight ratio as a mid-engine car, and with decent tires you simply don't need AWD.

I plan on getting it, but that's less about actual need and more about preference.

I wish we knew more about what the P version had.

That's a good point. And it doesn't lose efficiency the way that most AWDs do. So it's not just AWD - it's dual motor, giving you redundancy in case of a motor failure (will continue to drive just fine), it gives 0.6 seconds faster acceleration, and doesn't lose any efficiency. That's pretty good for $5k, IMO.

I'm a little skeptical of the redundancy claim that Elon made.

The same claim was made about the Model S AWD, but it was only half true. Meaning that if the front motor failed that it could continue to go. If the rear motor failed then you were stuck.

I think that is why shorts call Tesla a ponzi scheme and what drives market fear. Seems Tesla is unable or afraid to scale. Is 400k reservations not scale enough already for 35k?

If they want profits they should make and sell cars many people can buy. Mass market will never arrive if they always decide this trend to sell fewer cars with more margin.

Initial production cost is always very high. The margin can only improve when it's fully ramped up. That's when Tesla could afford to make cheaper version of the car.

I'm a little skeptical of the redundancy claim.

The same claim was made about the Model S AWD, but it was only half true. Meaning that if the front motor failed that it could continue to go. If the rear motor failed then you were stuck.
Elon claimed it, not me.
Elon Musk on Twitter
Elon Musk said:
Tesla dual motor means there is a motor in front & a motor in rear. One is optimized for power & one for range. Car drives fine even if a motor breaks down. Helps ensure you make it to your destination & don’t get stuck on side of road in potentially unsafe conditions.

The redundancy thing will depend on whether the front motor has it's own inverter or not. The problem on the S/X is that the inverter for both is in the rear drive unit ...

Of course you could in theory lose the rear motor itself but not the whole DU and still have front power on a S/X, though I don't know if that actually happens or if the car just gives up anyways.

I'm guessing that 310 for the P might be pretty accurate, but for the D it's somewhat of an underestimate (as LR seems to be). Probably don't want to encroach on the 100D range, while also not being to far off when weather and road conditions lessen ideal range. Might actually be an under-promise/over-deliver situation (!).

This is my guess too. They already asked the EPA to rate the RWD LR at 310 miles instead of the 334 like they were going to. Elon has said in the past that the Model S will always be the fastest, have the longest range and the most features. That 334 number was way too close to the 335 you get with the 100D, and they obviously knew dual motor was coming as well. I'd guess in the real world that the LRD might exceed the range of the 100D and that the performance version is, as you said, in the range of a legitimate 310 mile EPA figure.

Reactions: lukex4 and Matias
Probably not.

Then again, if anyone can configure, they’re doing that, not posting here! :rolleyes:

But I need to know

Me sleepy
IMG_4482.JPG