Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't say anything about 2 variants. Where are you getting that from?
I never said anything about two different P versions. There will be three total drivetrain version of the Model 3: RWD, AWD, & P AWD. There will be something different between the AWD and the P AWD. My guess is that the AWD version will use two small motors and the P AWD will use a small motor in the front and the larger RWD motor in the rear. This keeps the number of motor designs to the least possible amount.

Reactions: Arpe and EinSV
I never said anything about two different P versions. There will be three total drivetrain version of the Model 3: RWD, AWD, & P AWD. There will be something different between the AWD and the P AWD. My guess is that the AWD version will use two small motors and the P AWD will use a small motor in the front and the larger RWD motor in the rear. This keeps the number of motor designs to the least possible amount.

I don't know for sure if the hardware for the P version vs the AWD version is different. It might be the fact that the AWD version and the P version is different via software only.
What would Tesla violate if that is indeed the course.

I don't know for sure if the hardware for the P version vs the AWD version is different. It might be the fact that the AWD version and the P version is different via software only.
What would Tesla violate if that is indeed the course.
Doing it with software only would be unlikely IMO (but not outside of the realm of possibility) I think that would make a lot of the "P" customers feel like they have been short changed, especially if they offer it as an upgrade later only to drop the price by 75% like they did with the 60 to 75 battery upgrade.

Exciting news and looking forward to watching things unfold. Congratulations to all of the soon to be order-ers

My S lease is up next week. Its woefully under miles and wanting a 3 I extended my lease 6 months waiting for the D.

Then just read Tesla is not planning to lease out the 3 in 2018.

My lease is now up lateish November. If they announce leasing Jan 1, 2019 I might be in an "entertaining" predicament with some decisions to make.

Younger Leslie would be so irked. Older Leslie realizes how lucky she is that this is an "issue"

Staggered wheels:
tires.jpg

A performance Model 3 should actually be a performance car, not just fast to 60. Better brakes, suspension, seats, wider fenders. I have owned 2 different BMW M3's and an M5. The cars were completely different and the Model 3 could really be built as a hot rod. The biggest reason they might not make the Model 3 Performance sub 3 seconds is that Model S owners might complain. Again, TOTALLY different cars. The Model 3 is like a 3 series BMW and the Model S is more like a 5 series. The new BMW M5 is a gas guzzler, but dominates the Model S in most technology and comfort measures except 0-60 for over $30k less money. Tesla should focus on upgrading and updating the beautiful but dated Model S and please give us a scary fast Model 3!! :)

Better Brakes, check (didn't they mention larger calipers and/or rotor for the rear, or did I dream that? I want to say the mm was mentioned and it forces 19" as the smallest wheel size)
Suspension, check (I'd expect the "too stiff" setup from the 2017 Model 3 or something slightly stiffer)
Seats, dunno
Fenders, WTF no thanks, keep the body as is.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Bad idea. He threw the Canadians a bone with May and June deliveries to preserve the Tax Credit for US buyers.

I highly doubt anyone outside the US is getting their car between 7/1 and 12/31 of this year.

Yes, the moment Tesla has its US 200k delivery, they must be expected switch to US deliveries only until the subsequent quarter ends, to maximize the number of sales with the $7500 tax credit. The two quarters following that (2019H1) with their $3750 credit will likely also see a focus on US deliveries. After that follows two quarters (2019H2) with the last $1875 credit, that will probably also limit export deliveries.

So I have to wonder if Tesla's prediction of delivering my M3 in Germany in the beginning of 2019 ('Anfang 2019') - after a three year wait - will hold...

Last edited:
While this release is exciting news I'm sure most CURRENT model 3 owners would be much more excited to hear their putting effort forth on getting them things promised or big bugs fixed. I.E. Summon feature, phone connection issues; I guess they already have my money though, so why focus on me?

While this release is exciting news I'm sure most CURRENT model 3 owners would be much more excited to hear their putting effort forth on getting them things promised or big bugs fixed. I.E. Summon feature, phone connection issues; I guess they already have my money though, so why focus on me?

I hope you have some flame-retardant gear handy. This post is probably going to cause much consternation here today.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with my car overall it's just frustrating when it appears they are working hard on enhancements rather than getting the product right. Maybe they are working hard in these areas its just not buzzworthy but from my side of the pond it doesn't appear so