Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet “Priority/early access will be automatic for all owners with FSD”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Priority is not necessarily the same thing as Early Access. Not sure it’s realistic for Tesla to have Early Access testers be an unlimited pool of owners (every FSD buyer) since these features are very much incomplete.

Agreed, and I think giving all of the FSD owners priority fulfills the spirit of the original idea. Putting everyone in a beta pool isn't a great, or practical, idea. I don't think they thought that through all the way.

This is ideal.

...Elon confirms...

Thanks for the news but as others mentioned, the owner meant to ask about the Early Access Program but Elon instead answered about "Priority / early access" ordering system but not the program itself.

You know the "priority" is real if you already can summon your car 150 feet away.

Otherwise, it's just social talk to make sure waiters wait a little bit longer.

Sounds a little like the Advanced button. If everyone (with FSD in this case) has access to it early then it's not early. It will just be later for people who don't have FSD.
Maybe maybe not, I think there is way more people who don’t have FSD vs those that do so in theory it technically wouldn’t be considered early access

Last edited:
Maybe maybe not, I think there is way more people who don’t have FSD vs those that do so in theory it technically would be considered early access

I don't see the rationale of pushing FSD firmware to non-FSD owners first.

It only makes sense to push FSD firmware to those who can use FSD features.

So why is it a big deal to do something sensible?

Reactions: Dana1
I don't see the rationale of pushing FSD firmware to non-FSD owners first.

It only makes sense to push FSD firmware to those who can use FSD features.

So why is it a big deal to do something sensible?
But actually then again I don’t think it’ll have many “FSD” features tbh and here’s why he said the computer upgrade wouldn’t be necessary until late Q4 meaning like end of nov/dec were still in Q3. Also the hacker greentheonly already unlocked stop sign and stop light features on his model x which is HW 2.5 so technically HW3 isn’t required for those two FSD features. I think V10 which be like video streams, karaoke, etc

Thanks for the news but as others mentioned, the owner meant to ask about the Early Access Program but Elon instead answered about "Priority / early access" ordering system but not the program itself.

You know the "priority" is real if you already can summon your car 150 feet away.

Otherwise, it's just social talk to make sure waiters wait a little bit longer.
If you are talking about inclusion into the early access list, that was covered earlier today:
v10.PNG

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-9_16-15-46.png
    upload_2019-8-9_16-15-46.png
    66 KB · Views: 33
So... once again with the vagueness.

There are FSD “owners” who have the new board.

There are FSD “owners” who fell for the early/faked video from December 2016 (and then bought cars delivered in early 2017) who may get their board swap a year from now “once the software is ready for those cars”.

So again, who exactly will get “early access” to “v10”? FSD “owners” with the latest board in their cars or does everybody get a trophy for their early payment for FSD despite not yet having the hardware to support it?

Then of course there’s the matter of the failed promise that we’ll be able to retrofit MCU2 for MCU1 cars, as well as the more relevant issue of AP2.5 versus AP2.0 (different cameras iirc).

It’s both a question of cost and whether and when these things will be possible.

Getting v10 and it being useless for FSD without the aforementioned doesn’t seem to be anything to get excited about.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
If you are talking about inclusion into the early access list, that was covered earlier today...

Thanks for the quotation.

It does sound like all FSD owners are automatically in Early Access List.

But I assume Early Access List will get it after Early Access Program go through it first?

For example, current 150 foot summon is now deployed to Early Access Program and FSD owners who are automatically in Early Access List will get it after that.

I believe that the word that folks are missing is EARLY. And that's the folks early last year that paid more and have waited longer for FSD than the folks this year. That's what the original tweet weeks ago indicated. Us early owners had to pay for EAP and FSD.

The early owners those who paid for EAP and FSD) were promised early access in return for the decrease in price. They at also the ones who have the most experience using it.

My guess is that since one of the BIG features in V10 is supposedly the summon, and since March, summon is only available to FSD purchasers, then they will just make sure to prioritize queuing any car with FSD.

Personally I am ok with that. I'm not out to punish anyone who bought FSD the week, month, etc. after I did. I also don't care if everyone gets it on the same day. All I ask is that when it's available, that it's available to me right away.

This is like airline tickets. Just because I bought my ticket first doesn't mean I get on the plane first - or get to my destination any faster than the same-day purchaser. The fact we all arrive at the destination at the same time is ok with me.

It's just too bad that Tesla doesn't have the hardware and bandwidth available to push their software updates out quicker to their fleet of owners. Looking at how long it takes Tesla to deploy software updates on Teslafi is a bit depressing.

Sure, I know there's a lot of cars that are off of WiFi for extended periods of time, but even when you take that into consideration, Tesla really does seem to be slow to deploy updates. And yes, I know that different cars have different software needs, but even so, each of those individual needs come down the pipe at a trickle.

If Microsoft were Tesla, I'd still be sitting on Windows 7, waiting for my free upgrade to Windows 10.

Edit: Oh, wow.. reading back over that I do sound a bit entitled, don't I? Wasn't my intent. But it really would be nice if they had the capability to roll out updates a bit speedier.

I'm not sure it's because they can't do it faster... I think they do it that way because they are testing certain fixes/features, etc. For example, if they aren't sure if a particular big fix will address and issue, they release to a certain percentage of the fleet for a few days to how it goes, then roll it out to more.

Also sometimes they need "soak time" on a fix. Let's say they are trying to fix a bug that only appears after the computer hasn't been rebooted in a while... they might have to designate a batch of cars to stay on a particular version for a while.

They also may simply be trying to avoid bricking the entire fleet in a day if they make a mistake.

Of course a simpler explanation could be just what you said ... they don't want to pay for content distribution from a third party, so they slow roll it to no overload their servers.