Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: JER and cdub
I don’t disagree with your interpretation but why does spaceship = HUD?
You're right that it's an assumption. However, we do know they've hired Microsoft VR people and this is all we have to go on --

Elon -- "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."
@elonmusk why did you choose that hideous steering wheel design?:|

Elon -- @iKrivetko that's not the real steering system

Maybe all he meant the entire time was that the Model 3 would be self-driving.

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
You're right that it's an assumption. However, we do know they've hired Microsoft VR people and this is all we have to go on --

Maybe all he meant the entire time was that the Model 3 would be self-driving.
It's possible. But someone asked him "why did you choose that hideous steering wheel design" and he replied "that's not the real steering system". That seems to imply that the physical steering wheel will change in some manner, in addition to the semi-autonomous driving capability.

It's possible. But someone asked him "why did you choose that hideous steering wheel design" and he replied "that's not the real steering system". That seems to imply that the physical steering wheel will change in some manner, in addition to the semi-autonomous driving capability.
Possibly one that you can retract into the dash (not automatically, as that would add unnecessary complexity)? This would be pretty space-shippy and fit well with the future autonomous capabilities. I think the HUD is dead, but I imagine they are putting those VR people to good use on displaying autopilot info from a variety of sensors and programming some great new software.

I suspect there will be no traditional mechanical steering column. It will probably be an electrical device with at least the minimum US 12 inch wheel diameter that can be installed on either side of the car. An autonomous car will need redundant steering so there will probably be two electric steering motors instead of present cars that may have one electric motor and mechanical steering backup. The foot pedals will also be plug-and-play on either side. The center panel remains the same. A simpler design.

I understand the logic behind starting with a simpler car, but this not work for me. I was planning to get the highly optioned AWD to replace my model S. I was also hoping to see better quality materials, but it does not seem to go this way. I guess I will need to decide on a different replacement when the lease ends - bummer.

My guess now is that the magic will be in the new UI. I bet spaceship controls refers to buttons and options for AP using the entire left side of the horizontal screen. With the power of the Nvidia PX2 (technically able to push 4K graphics to multiple screens) I bet the updated UI will be a huge improvement and truly make it feel like a spaceship. Probably replaces the AP control stick and is more clear. Also could be the reason he's appearing cryptic on HUD tweets, as he doesn't want to give that info without a full explanation of why there is no need. I assume same software will be available on all AP2 cars soon also.
I think the PX2 will not control the UI it has to use a separate soc for the UI, the PX2 is used for Autonomous CPU functions.

I understand the logic behind starting with a simpler car, but this not work for me. I was planning to get the highly optioned AWD to replace my model S. I was also hoping to see better quality materials, but it does not seem to go this way. I guess I will need to decide on a different replacement when the lease ends - bummer.
You expect higher quality materials than your S at half the price? Tell us more about your economic theories.

I think this is a ploy to not hurt demand on s/x. He says no new tech compared to model s/x, but that doesn't necessary mean nothing new compared to today, just nothing new compared to s/x at time of model 3 delivery. It is very possible that there would be updates (new tech) in q2 for model s/x that would be in model 3 delivered in q3.

Of course this tweet storm was about protecting Model S/X sales. That much is obvious.

What triggered it, though?

If it was simply lagging Model S/X sales as everyone was waiting for that Ludicrous Model 3, maybe none of this had much to do with any HUD plans.

But if this was motivated by a production decision recently made for Model 3, i.e. what features to launch with and what not, I would say getting the HUD at launch on Model 3 became dramatically less likely. It was simply worded so strongly in Elon's dismissive responses.

Now it is possible Model S/X will still get it as an upgrade soon(er) but would Tesla want to give Model 3 buyers one more reason to wait? Maybe... if they are confident that will help more lucrative Model S/X sales.

If this was a cynical world play from Elon to sell Model S/X now and still launch a HUD for all of the models by Model 3 launch... well, that would be quite cynical indeed... but not impossible given Tesla's liberalism with the truth.

Whatever the case may be, as seen from the 60D firesale and pushes to convert Model 3 reservations to that, it is all about those Q2 sales for Tesla at the moment.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I'm surprised by these interior comments, the reveal a year ago showed us basically the direction they were going. Elon mentioned it was not finalized, but then he said they were going to be pencils down in a few months. To me, that meant only tweaks and small revisions, not an entire redo of the interior.

No it didn't. Everything from Tesla said that the exterior was near finalized but the interior was not.

Some Toyota's I've rented had the speedo in the middle of the screen. Takes a few minutes to get used to but no hassle at all.
It's back in the dashboard, so the angle isn't extreme. I'm not envisioning the screen placement on the Model 3 to be as comfortable for monitoring basic info. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I cringe every time I see an interior shot showing that lone display positioned distantly in front of the dashboard.

Reactions: slipnslider
You expect higher quality materials than your S at half the price? Tell us more about your economic theories.

It is not an unreasonable line of thinking. Sure, it would be in an Audi, but Tesla is still a work in progress.

Every new version has the chance of being more than an incremental improvement over what Tesla has done in the past (although unfortunately it can also go the other way as Model X interior as well as the latest interior bundling also has shown).

There is reason to hope Tesla's interior materials and design improves in new versions, because currently it is lacking for its pricepoint, even for a half the pricepoint. Model 3 as a new design could have a more mature, improved design simply because Tesla is growing and learning.

It still may, if Tesla has gotten access to better designers, tools, suppliers etc. during the process. In the end, the cost is probably a very small and insignificant part of Tesla's interior design pros and cons. It is the other things that are driving it and thus expecting changes for the better is, well, not completely unreasonable.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Someday I will probably eat these words, but what the heck is so freaking awesome about HUD? I have no desire for it.

Think about a full windshield augmented reality (AR) HUD. The car being able to paint any image over any part of the windshield.

The car sees a moose or a pedestrian in the dark, approaching the road... instead of just an audible warning or a blink of the dash, it could hightlight or lighten the actual moving, living thing up for you, right there on your windshield. (Current night vision implementations in e.g. Germans already do this on the dash screen superimposed over the night vision image. My A8 did it already in 2010.)

Of course eventually great autonomy could do away with many of these benefits, but even then the AR potential of notifications and whatnot on your screen would be interesting.

The real big deal about such a HUD would be creation of a brand new platform for software expression. We can only begin to think of the potential, but once the platform was available, software updates could bring all sorts of new ideas to the table.

Reactions: RubberToe and Gwgan
It is not an unreasonable line of thinking. Sure, it would be in an Audi, but Tesla is still a work in progress.

I take that back a bit. For the Audi part.

Even in an Audi a new lower-end model can feel like an improvement over the preceding high-end model, for the period where the lower-end car is the newer generation and the high-end model is still at is previous generation.

There will be ways in which the Model 3 too will feel fresher than the now aging Model S/X interior. Tesla is probably wise to revamp the interiors of the latters sooner rather than later, both for quality and timeliness.